Better Call Saul

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
ehh i thought this week was kinda boring Mike went a little too hard into Sherlock Holmes territory and I kinda wished the guest comedian might have called him out on it, although it would have been stupid melodrama. The Salamanca stuff was fun although damn thats some video game stuff there.

The guy he said was faking was the drug counselor for Jesse I think, who said he ran over his daughter while high and thats why he became a drug rehab guy or something? Soooo he was lying about that to Jesse, Walt, etc? Thats kind of a sucky retcon.

Might not be a retcon (if it actually is the same guy). He might have the grief but doesn't want everyone to know what a piece of shit he is so he tells a different sad story. People do that sometimes. Maybe Mike pushed him to decide to be honest later!

Fedor

<Banned>
The guy he said was faking was the drug counselor for Jesse I think, who said he ran over his daughter while high and thats why he became a drug rehab guy or something? Soooo he was lying about that to Jesse, Walt, etc? Thats kind of a sucky retcon.

those two characters/actors don't even look remotely similar

latest

2018-08-27-better-call-saul08.jpg

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Loved the scene towards the end of the episode between Gus and Nacho. It will be a shame if they end up killing off Nacho down the road.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Kim is having 2nd thoughts about mesa verde and is almost actively trying to get fires as council.

Perhaps the aspies are right about her wanting avoid going to nebraska.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'd love to see a line of Jimmy McGill action figures:

Slippin' Jimmy
Stripmall Lawyer Jimmy
Highend Lawyer Jimmy
Tracksuit Jimmy
Cinnabon Jimmy

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
I know the slow pacing is gonna drive some people nuts but I really enjoy it, it lets the characters breathe and develop at a nice pace. Not 100% convinced we really need to see the story of how the laundromat got built and stuff like that but I guess gotta trust the writers to make it interesting. It was really cool seeing that opening Saul scene, is that the first time we've flashed back (er... forward?) to that time period?

I do like how Kim is written, for all those sperglords who always bitch about how all men are sexist for hating Skylar, Kim is a fantastically written character. You understand her motivations but more importantly she is a very flawed character and expresses those flaws in believable ways. She is just like Jimmy, self-sabotaging herself, and that coming out in the show is great along with her more complex motivations of helping others, wanting to be with Jimmy, sad about Chuck, etc. Her character actions spring from her motivations instead of her being a foil for Jimmy.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I know the slow pacing is gonna drive some people nuts but I really enjoy it, it lets the characters breathe and develop at a nice pace. Not 100% convinced we really need to see the story of how the laundromat got built and stuff like that but I guess gotta trust the writers to make it interesting. It was really cool seeing that opening Saul scene, is that the first time we've flashed back (er... forward?) to that time period?

I do like how Kim is written, for all those sperglords who always bitch about how all men are sexist for hating Skylar, Kim is a fantastically written character. You understand her motivations but more importantly she is a very flawed character and expresses those flaws in believable ways. She is just like Jimmy, self-sabotaging herself, and that coming out in the show is great along with her more complex motivations of helping others, wanting to be with Jimmy, sad about Chuck, etc. Her character actions spring from her motivations instead of her being a foil for Jimmy.
i think its the first time for the BB timeline fast forward, but i could be wrong. i wanted to see how that was related to anything in the episode. maybe it was one of the cellphone customers? also, did jimmy rip up the shrink's phone number because he thought since it didnt help Howard it wouldnt help him? or did he feel better knowing Howard is feeling like shit?

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
did jimmy rip up the shrink's phone number because he thought since it didnt help Howard it wouldnt help him? or did he feel better knowing Howard is feeling like shit?

I think the later on that one Chuk, but that is just me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I read that scene as Jimmy thinking he didn't need a shrink because he wasn't anywhere as bad as Howard and that if Howard was that bad seeing a shrink it probably wouldn't do him any good either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

i think its the first time for the BB timeline fast forward, but i could be wrong. i wanted to see how that was related to anything in the episode. maybe it was one of the cellphone customers? also, did jimmy rip up the shrink's phone number because he thought since it didnt help Howard it wouldnt help him? or did he feel better knowing Howard is feeling like shit?

I think he thought it wouldn’t help. I’m kind of the same way. I had so many people, for whom were seeing therapists, tell me after my divorce that I should see one. I never saw change in those people, even though they said they felt changed. I just took my time to drink and grieve and once I was tired of that, I very slowly picked myself up by the boot straps.

I think Jimmy is doing that. His comment to his P.O. pretty much confirmed that.

“I’m going to get my license back and be a lawyer”

He just didn’t admit he was going to be a dirty lawyer. He doesn’t need a shrink to head down that path.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think he thought it wouldn’t help. I’m kind of the same way. I had so many people, for whom were seeing therapists, tell me after my divorce that I should see one. I never saw change in those people, even though they said they felt changed. I just took my time to drink and grieve and once I was tired of that, I very slowly picked myself up by the boot straps.

I think Jimmy is doing that. His comment to his P.O. pretty much confirmed that.

“I’m going to get my license back and be a lawyer”

He just didn’t admit he was going to be a dirty lawyer. He doesn’t need a shrink to head down that path.
actually it sounds like he has 110% intention to be a "good" lawyer, opening up a full office w/ his hot lawyer gf, being a dirty lawyer hasn't even crossed his mind.

sure he's being a skeevy burner phone guy, but still not a skeevy lawyer.

he has no intention of being that which Chuck was most afraid of

"slippin jimmy w/ a law degree is like a chimp w/ a machine gun"

ultimately Chuck was right.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
actually it sounds like he has 110% intention to be a "good" lawyer, opening up a full office w/ his hot lawyer gf, being a dirty lawyer hasn't even crossed his mind.

sure he's being a skeevy burner phone guy, but still not a skeevy lawyer.

he has no intention of being that which Chuck was most afraid of

"slippin jimmy w/ a law degree is like a chimp w/ a machine gun"

ultimately Chuck was right.
dude, what are you talking about? he's been a dirty lawyer from almost the beginning. the way he manipulated the trust of those old ladies in the retirement home to go against that one old lady he pretended to be friends with just to further his career is as shitty as you can get.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
dude, what are you talking about? he's been a dirty lawyer from almost the beginning. the way he manipulated the trust of those old ladies in the retirement home to go against that one old lady he pretended to be friends with just to further his career is as shitty as you can get.
but that was to "get the case", just like him paying those two skaters to take a dive in front of the white lady (turned out to be tucos mama), that was also to get the case.

you know that was all in the hustle, but he wasn't perverting lady justice.

in breaking bad, he's a straight up criminal

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
but that was to "get the case", just like him paying those two skaters to take a dive in front of the white lady (turned out to be tucos mama), that was also to get the case.

you know that was all in the hustle, but he wasn't perverting lady justice.

in breaking bad, he's a straight up criminal
didnt he try to muscle his community service guy to get time off along with other violations of the law just to make a commercial for his business? i dont think you realize that the things he did to "get the case" is exactly perverting lady justice. lets not forget his little stunt with the copy machine place where he fucked over Hamlin and Mcgill and ended up losing his law license. he's been a criminal since he was a kid, just because he sometimes feels bad about the things he does, doesnt negate the fact that what he's doing are criminal acts. i dont think he's had one case where he wasnt doing something underhanded. he goes out of his way to make sure he can commit some kind of larceny. he got bored when he had to do a real job at a law firm. i love this show, but lets not kid ourselves.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
didnt he try to muscle his community service guy to get time off along with other violations of the law just to make a commercial for his business? i dont think you realize that the things he did to "get the case" is exactly perverting lady justice. lets not forget his little stunt with the copy machine place where he fucked over Hamlin and Mcgill and ended up losing his law license. he's been a criminal since he was a kid, just because he sometimes feels bad about the things he does, doesnt negate the fact that what he's doing are criminal acts. i dont think he's had one case where he wasnt doing something underhanded. he goes out of his way to make sure he can commit some kind of larceny. he got bored when he had to do a real job at a law firm. i love this show, but lets not kid ourselves.
eh jimmy wrasslin the community service guy is no different than a cop flashing his badge to get a free donut, abuse of power.

jimmy went all crazy copier b/c HHM fucked over Kim to get Mesa Verde from her.

I'm not saying Jimmy is a saint, I'm saying that when push comes to shove and Jimmy is backed into a corner, slipping Jimmy has to wiggle free to bail him out of a jam, like a fucked up guardian angel.

However in Breaking Bad, he's just Saul, as skeevy a person as they come.