Better Call Saul

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
eh jimmy wrasslin the community service guy is no different than a cop flashing his badge to get a free donut, abuse of power.

jimmy went all crazy copier b/c HHM fucked over Kim to get Mesa Verde from her.

I'm not saying Jimmy is a saint, I'm saying that when push comes to shove and Jimmy is backed into a corner, slipping Jimmy has to wiggle free to bail him out of a jam, like a fucked up guardian angel.

However in Breaking Bad, he's just Saul, as skeevy a person as they come.
he's already Saul, but up til now he's had two anchor points keeping him from going full dark. Chuck and Kim. Chuck is gone. when Kim exits the story, thats going to be it. i honestly think he cares about Kim, but he really cant help himself at this point, he has to keep breaking laws, stealing hummels and bootlegging burner phones even if in his head he thinks its to help with Kim and their bills, but he's really doing it because he likes it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
he's already Saul, but for now he's had two anchor points keeping him from going full dark. Chuck and Kim. Chuck is gone. when Kim exits the story, thats going to be it. i honestly think he cares about Kim, but he really cant help himself at this point, he has to keep breaking laws, stealing hummels and bootlegging burner phones even if in his head he thinks its to help with Kim and their bills, but he's really doing it because he likes it.
i think the stealing, burner phoning is like a release.

like those emo cutter chicks, they just have cut to feel something, maybe thats what Jimmy feels when he steals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

actually it sounds like he has 110% intention to be a "good" lawyer, opening up a full office w/ his hot lawyer gf, being a dirty lawyer hasn't even crossed his mind.

sure he's being a skeevy burner phone guy, but still not a skeevy lawyer.

he has no intention of being that which Chuck was most afraid of

"slippin jimmy w/ a law degree is like a chimp w/ a machine gun"

ultimately Chuck was right.

I read this and agreed at first, but two things that makes me think he has intentions of being Slipping Jimmy with a law degree:

1) Chuck said he was pretty much Slippin Jimmy with a law degree. Plus, he got the degree to impress his brother and repay him for getting him the mail room job. To put him on Chuck’s level. Chuck didn’t like it. He was appalled by. Now that Chuck isn’t around to change his mind or earn his respect, the only thing left is Slippin Jimmy.

2) If he had all intentions of doing things by the book, he would be doing them by the book now. If there is anytime for him to turn things around, now would be the time, but he chooses to cater to criminals and their criminal activity and he is hiding it from Kim. Hiding it and lying to Kim is the biggest reason why I think he has zero intentions to be legit anymore.

Side note: This show is well written. The most mundane of things is interesting. The German guy saying he took the Dramamine and it still didn’t work was a very nice, character building addition, even if the guy has a tiny part in the show. It makes it feel real.

I also hope Jimmy/Saul gets a “pizza on the roof” type moment. One of my favorite parts of B.B. Even when the rotting pizza was on the roof after additional scenes and maybe an episode or two later. Great stuff.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jimmy isnt a truly evil, unsavory figure. He actually might be the most complex and well written TV show characters in history.

Yea, almost 95 percent of the good shit he does is part of a long con to benefit himself, but he does have a moral compass, even if it is broken.

He is capable of compassion, empathy, self sacrifice, social bonding and most importantly, has peerless charisma. A lot of these traits are either wasted or misguided, but Jimmy deep down is a decent person.

His conflicted feelings toward Chuck are merited, Chuck was an asshole himself and was always jealous their mother favored Jimmy. His own wife even made comments about how Chuck is out of touch and pretentious, while showing favor to Jimmy.

As far as his propensity to fuck over other undeserving people, well, that's unforgivable. That's the main reason for his downfall. He also is unable to form true bonds with ANYONE as he is too flawed as a person to truly make anyone actually trust or truly care about him.

Great show.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Jimmy's plan was really harebrained. there was no way he could predict he could outrun a bunch of young kids to the setup spot and he bet his life on those 2 lugs having his back. this show isnt often dumb, but that was not so hot.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This episode was kind of filler. The part where Jimmy went into the law library was pretty powerful, even if we didnt get to really see much of it. That's where his road to getting his law degree began.

And I honestly can only think they are pushing the cell phone angle to maybe set up Saul Goodman's signature 47 different phone schtick in pursuit of complete anonymity when he is seen in BB.

Other than that I cant see the significance of that story line, it cant be to just provide him income.

Also Kim's decision to take that job was the turning point for their relationship. After she saw how apathetic Jimmy was about his brothers death and everything after it with the letter etc. And him not going to counseling, leaving at night, the small lies, she decided her future couldnt be tied that closely to Jimmy.

The shit with Gus was dumb.

spronk

FPS noob
Gus at a young age mastered the art of standing so still he becomes invisible

Kim's story is great again, she is totally a foil to Jimmy but you 100% get why she is doing what she does and you really agree with her, Jimmy is a fucking lunatic when it comes to making choices. I thought for sure though Jimmy was gonna sell out her banking client to HHM somehow

It was great seeing Chuck and Huell in little cameos

Brad2770

Jimmy's plan was really harebrained. there was no way he could predict he could outrun a bunch of young kids to the setup spot and he bet his life on those 2 lugs having his back. this show isnt often dumb, but that was not so hot.

Not to mention in B.B. and B.C.S, he says he has bad knees. How could he outrun those guys with bad knees unless it’s just ruse.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This episode was kind of filler. The part where Jimmy went into the law library was pretty powerful, even if we didnt get to really see much of it. That's where his road to getting his law degree began.

And I honestly can only think they are pushing the cell phone angle to maybe set up Saul Goodman's signature 47 different phone schtick in pursuit of complete anonymity when he is seen in BB.

Other than that I cant see the significance of that story line, it cant be to just provide him income.

Also Kim's decision to take that job was the turning point for their relationship. After she saw how apathetic Jimmy was about his brothers death and everything after it with the letter etc. And him not going to counseling, leaving at night, the small lies, she decided her future couldnt be tied that closely to Jimmy.

The shit with Gus was dumb.

Agree on the Gus speech; just a little to melodramatic to set up his B.B. hatred of Hector.

I am betting that both the phones and Kim stories this episode are more overt nudges as we go from Jimmy to Saul.

Phones are going to be his gateway into true criminal lawyer activity. He's going to start by selling them to the seedy underbelly and then he's going to have a phone client come to him with a ton of ill-gotten cash and need law advice and somewhere to stash the money.

I agree with you about Kim's job being the turning point in the relationship but I disagree on why she took it. She hates Mesa Verde because it is all just standard application of the law for a boring bank. She wants a challenge that makes her dig through case law to win the unwinnable (like her admiring Chuck in the opening). When she sees Jimmy's drawings she knows that she is either going to live this life of hating her client but loving Jimmy and keeping him clean and honest if they have offices and ultimately decides against it. Kim rejecting Jimmy's vision of the future is the reason we get Saul above all else.

Finally, my bet is that the thing that destroy's Jimmy and Kim is that she finds out one of her pro bono cases committed a serious crime and a client Jimmy defends either flips on Kim's client by lying or straight up kills Kim's client and Jimmy puts the nail in the coffin by choosing to continue to defend his piece of shit client for money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
A decent asshole Chuck snippet right before as well. He doesn't know anybody's name and only stops for more praise and even that turns into him giving Kim a test where Howard apologizes to two people from the mail room and knows both of their names. He is paying for one's law school and the other is the brother of one his partners but it's interesting how subtle the demon that turned Jimmy into BB Saul is as opposed to Mike's which is a lot more straightforward or Gus's which I thought they were going to develop more in this episode but it's still kind of exactly what BB established it as

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Agree on the Gus speech; just a little to melodramatic to set up his B.B. hatred of Hector.

I am betting that both the phones and Kim stories this episode are more overt nudges as we go from Jimmy to Saul.

Phones are going to be his gateway into true criminal lawyer activity. He's going to start by selling them to the seedy underbelly and then he's going to have a phone client come to him with a ton of ill-gotten cash and need law advice and somewhere to stash the money.

I agree with you about Kim's job being the turning point in the relationship but I disagree on why she took it. She hates Mesa Verde because it is all just standard application of the law for a boring bank. She wants a challenge that makes her dig through case law to win the unwinnable (like her admiring Chuck in the opening). When she sees Jimmy's drawings she knows that she is either going to live this life of hating her client but loving Jimmy and keeping him clean and honest if they have offices and ultimately decides against it. Kim rejecting Jimmy's vision of the future is the reason we get Saul above all else.

Finally, my bet is that the thing that destroy's Jimmy and Kim is that she finds out one of her pro bono cases committed a serious crime and a client Jimmy defends either flips on Kim's client by lying or straight up kills Kim's client and Jimmy puts the nail in the coffin by choosing to continue to defend his piece of shit client for money.
I thought they were foreshadowing Kim's future death by her going to a client's home to get her into court. I can see her doing something similar later on and she gets caught in a cartel drive-by.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
BCS takes place in 2003-2004. pretty close to the BB timeline. Jimmy wasnt practicing too long before he met Walt.

spronk

FPS noob
BCS timeframes are clearly established but you could never really pin down Breaking Bad, they had basically a ton of continuity errors. Walt's tombstone read born in 1959, making the last episode his 52nd birthday or 2011 which means the pilot was 2009 (2 years passed, show starts with Walt at 50 and ends with Walt at 52). But we see a 2007 and a 2008 car sticker in the pilot, the Chrysler 300 Walt buys near the end is a 2013 model, Todd's nazi uncle makes a few seal team six/bin laden references which would only make sense in 2012+, they flashed 2007 and 2010 in clocks/screens on the show a few times, etc.

ANyways pretty boring episode, nothing really significant happened and I kinda feel like the writers are spinning a bit in circles but hopefully there are some payoffs. Its gotta be super emasculating to be the bitch boy in a relationship, and you can see Kim not really think of Jimmy as a man anymore either. I hope they don't go down the "Kim cheats on Jimmy" story path, that would be lame.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Kim looked to be doing things in a Jimmy way at the end. Only looks like she's trying to do shenanigans to build Huel up instead of tear the cop down

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Kim looked to be doing things in a Jimmy way at the end. Only looks like she's trying to do shenanigans to build Huel up instead of tear the cop down
is she really building him up if she makes it look like Huell is some kind of retard who writes with crayons?

• 1Picard

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I’m assuming the crayons are for some kind of “thank you” from a bunch of kids or something.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
also something to note kim goes from driving(crashing) a mitsubishi eclipse to driving a audi (online says 2004 a8) probably at 90k, it was probably cuz she joined S&C, but no mentions of it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I really appreciate how they write Kim (and of course how she's acted). It would be easy for her to be a straight forward role at this point, but they give her depth and nuance. In some ways, she's like the more responsible mirror of Jimmy.

• 1Like