Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tobin

N00b
Yeah, that's usually what happens to solo breakaways. Don't do it. The sprinters will team up, catch up and then destroy you.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Incorrect, they only need to pull over when there is safe passage.

AO, we just had a nikebike ( our new bike share) alleycat, that was absolutely hilarious and wish I had video so I could rustle all these jimmies.
That's awesome. My work is about 3 miles from one of the better MTB parks in our metro and has the "loaner bikes"... I always joke with a couple buddies that we should borrow them and head over to the park to just destroy them.

Bike Jerks/All-City's brand/product manager is holding their championship contests in a few weekends and I want to volunteer to man an alleycat stop but I'll be out of town :|

She got blown out on the home stretch. So, no medal at all. :(
Dat crash on the descent... holy fuck I gasped out loud. "Only" 3 broken vertebrae and a concussion. She wasn't moving at ALL. Also I think if the leader hadn't crashed and the Murican had caught up to her, there would have been a medal for the US in it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Yeah I we were watching that live and were like 'holy shit...'

She was limp as a rag for every camera shot I saw her in. Fucking hell.....

And I agree. She was the drive that the Murcan needed. You are probably right that had the Dutch chick not wiped out, Murca would be +1 medal.

Tobin

N00b
It's not about drive. Abbott and van Vlueten were in their own breakaway when the latter rider decided to attack hard. Abbott probably would have caught back up because that was too early to make a move. When two cyclists hook up, they take turns drafting behind each other. The slipstream effect is considerable...you use about 30% less energy than the rider in front. They would have been around 10% faster overall vs each riding solo and the last sprint to the finish wouldn't have happened. It would have been gold and silver for van Vlueten and Abbott (or the other way around.)

Tobin

N00b
I ride roads like the ones I pictured on the first page. If I do ride on a busy urban road, you can bet I'm taking the lane if there is insufficient or an obstructed shoulder. Are you saying urban cycling shouldn't happen and cyclists clog up urban roads? I'm pretty sure it's mostly cars clogging up urban roads.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If anything the argument should be if Tour/Olympic talk needs a separate thread in sports...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You bike in urban areas in the middle of the road during rush hour don't you?
The entire road, nay. In the actual city I'll take an entire lane if there isn't a bike lane no matter if it's rush hour or midnight. It is safer overall and I'm moving as fast as the traffic for the most part.

If anything the argument should be if Tour/Olympic talk needs a separate thread in sports...
I don't think eitherlast long enough or occur often enough, but I'm also lazy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
rmdSx.gif

Tobin

N00b
The entire road, nay. In the actual city I'll take an entire lane if there isn't a bike lane no matter if it's rush hour or midnight. It is safer overall and I'm moving as fast as the traffic for the most part.

Hell, with lane filtering being legal in California and the option to share a lane when possible, cyclists are almost guaranteed to be faster than car traffic in SF at most times of day.

AngryGerbil, the resolution for obligate car drivers isn't fewer bicycles, but actually more bicycles. The cyclist occasionally riding in your lane is literally saving you time because he's not in a car.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
That's awesome. My work is about 3 miles from one of the better MTB parks in our metro and has the "loaner bikes"... I always joke with a couple buddies that we should borrow them and head over to the park to just destroy them.

Bike Jerks/All-City's brand/product manager is holding their championship contests in a few weekends and I want to volunteer to man an alleycat stop but I'll be out of town :|

I actually was trying to fly out to go to the ACC but changing jobs has put my money in a pretty tight spot. Maybe I'll be dumb and come out for the stupor this year.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I actually was trying to fly out to go to the ACC but changing jobs has put my money in a pretty tight spot. Maybe I'll be dumb and come out for the stupor this year.
PM me if you do. I still need something single speed for stupor but w/e.

Tobin

N00b
Manual For Speed's "SURPRISE ME" kit also arrived today. Here, be amused at my expense.

mfs-surprise-me-kit-ohhhh-my.jpg

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
what the shit is that? No way have I got the, lets say confidence, to go out wearing that heh

edit: mind you I also always wear mtb shorts when commuting as I'm not too keen on the shrink wrapped trouser snake look

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Manual For Speed's "SURPRISE ME" kit also arrived today. Here, be amused at my expense.

mfs-surprise-me-kit-ohhhh-my.jpg
That's a nice looking kit. I keep pondering the ArtCrank Kit(s) from Twin Six (or the fat cyclist). Problem is their shit only fits 1/2 the time....
I'm guessing that's race cut? I can't squish myself into that so I'm always looking into Club cut.
I do dig the stuff Belch is releasing and they do custom runs for smaller groups at a decent price too (BELCH Softcore Cycling Clothing & Apparel).

what the shit is that? No way have I got the, lets say confidence, to go out wearing that heh

edit: mind you I also always wear mtb shorts when commuting as I'm not too keen on the shrink wrapped trouser snake look
You gotta have the speed!
Honestly, the amount of "freedom" it gives you for range of movement is what keeps me wearing it (along with the lack of chafing and the on-ass padding), though I normally slap on a pair of mtb shorts if I'm not going out with a group who would also be wearing similar gear.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I do wear lycra bib shorts as they definitely are comfier for decent length rides, but I stick mtb shorts on top. They're slim cut so not too baggy, I just haven't worked myself up to just the lycra so far :)