Bicycling

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I don't mind the walking in weird shoes, but, when we do touring (100/day), you are going to walk in dirt/gravel roads for lunch and snacks. I just don't know if I can imagine bringing out the covers every time I did that. :\

edit: Will let you know, though. BTW, do you wear regulars or mega sizes?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mega? I wear US 13, usually 48 or 49 euro, which is part of the issue yes. Lots of closeouts in sizes that are too small for me.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have mtb shoes and road shoes. I was getting tired of wearing through cleats quickly, which is why I picked up mtb. I love both sets I have and if you have the money I don't see a reason to just swap pedals depending on the type of ride. Giro Gauges and Mavic Zxelliums here. If you go road, get those cleat covers, I keep them in my jersey pocket now for when I'm on the road pedals. I can tell the power transfer difference in road shoes/pedal for sure, so they're on my roadie

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I like gravity to help my riding, Norco A-Line park edition
20_1.jpg

AM/XC riding on a Giant Reign
giant-reign-1-2010-mountain-bike_4d4942e9e1180.jpg

Fun time plus lots of pain, Echo trails bike
new-26-20-Complete-font-b-Trials-b-font-font-b-Bike-b-font-2011-mark.jpg

Busting out the cool,
blkprism.jpg

Perfect number of bikes to own is N+1, N being the number you own now.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
I have nothing to add except that the cyclocross worlds was the first cx race I attended and it was godddddddamn awesome.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want a CX bike so bad for my fifth set of wheels. Preferably single speed. Passed up a couple good deals on them over the past few years too, should have pulled the trigger.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone been looking athttp://www.bicyclemob.com/? New site bywww.JensonUSA.com

Sort of like Chainlove but they do one deal a day, running from 6 AM to 3 PM PST. They have graduated price drops as the day goes on, the more they sell the more the price decreases. You can buy the item at the starting price and you will pay whatever the lowest price ends up being.

Decent deal on some basic clipless MTB shoes today.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
man if they're only going to do one a day, they've gotta have better shit than a sleeveless jersey and saddle bag

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know its really killing me to glance at the email on my phone then delete it every day.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
needs more spacers!

in all seriousness.. hnnnngh
lol. Only problem I have with the bike is the length from my foot to the front wheel. I can hit the wheel with my foot when I do a hard turn. Won't happen much, but, when I'm at a walking pace during group rides, it could be a pain.

But, it feels so nice. Upgrading from a 9 speed low end drivetrain to an 11 speed feels so different.

edit: I had to buy new shoes, sadly. Fucking LBS for my first bike did not tell me that they were mountain bike shoes (SPDs) so they were not able to put on actual road cleats. Went from Shimano Pro to SIDIs. The SIDIs feel like a whole fucking difference. They're great. Walking in them is not a problem. Did not get speedplays. Went with DuraAce 9xxx pedals.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's called toe overlap, it was a problem with 29'ers early on before they got mainstream and the geometry with the frames and forks compensated. Wouldn't that indicate a sizing issue with you and that frame? I'm not sure.

Regardless, that's an absolutely fucking beautiful bike. I literally think I could masturbate to completion over it if it was in front of me in person. Congrats.

Ellesdee

Molten Core Raider
I'm looking into doing some road biking. I live in the northeast so the winters are rough (I'm aware this is a copout) but I'm finally going to start commuting to school and such with a bike. Any suggestions on a great road bike to start with under a grand? I've hear good things about the Specialized Allez line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I definitely plan on trying them out at local bike shops for proper fit.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
lol. Only problem I have with the bike is the length from my foot to the front wheel. I can hit the wheel with my foot when I do a hard turn. Won't happen much, but, when I'm at a walking pace during group rides, it could be a pain.

But, it feels so nice. Upgrading from a 9 speed low end drivetrain to an 11 speed feels so different.

edit: I had to buy new shoes, sadly. Fucking LBS for my first bike did not tell me that they were mountain bike shoes (SPDs) so they were not able to put on actual road cleats. Went from Shimano Pro to SIDIs. The SIDIs feel like a whole fucking difference. They're great. Walking in them is not a problem. Did not get speedplays. Went with DuraAce 9xxx pedals.
I hope to get a job wherever you work one day.

I'm used to toe overlap because of track bikes, but it can be annoying. it'll never happen at any speed worthwhile so nothing to worry about

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Looking for opinions:
I was gonna get a touring/cross bike to commute around town on (and to/from bars)... I was looking at a Crosscheck, dude recommended an All-City Space Horse. The space horse is a bit more expensive, so I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade...

Any suggestions? I'm planning on buying from the same shop regardless, and I think

Here's the links:
Space horsehttp://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse
Cross Checkhttp://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check
Comparisonhttp://bikes.cxmagazine.com/compare/...ty-Space-Horse