Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Im still riding, just lately been avoiding photos and no real new bikes to show off. Heres what Ive got from our last trip to the coast.
Screenshot_20180924-193838.jpg
20180825_090420.jpg
Screenshot_20180827-210142.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
My mind boggles at that frame, but I don't know shit about DH.

It's a high pivot so the wheel base grows when the rear is compressed, makes it more stable over bumps.
To counteract the wheel path (it goes backwards) i have 2 chains, one from the BB to the idler then one back to the wheel. Should be perfect chain tension at all times ...."should"

Scooby

Trakanon Raider
Well I dont have a ton of cash to toss around so I went Fat Bike so I have a fully rigid bike to start off with ... roads and rail trails till I get under 300 (350ish now) once I get there start on some green trails , once I get down to around 275-280 add a front shock, so I have a hard tail and start hitting blues and some black trails. Maybe a few races here and there with just to finish as goals.

Reason I picked the LTD over the 2.0 is the tapered headset, front and rear through axles, and the fact the LTD is already on the XD driver hubset if I decide to go 1x12 sram eagle down the road.

I want to pick up biking again as a hobby not just a way to lose weight. I needed a life change, I already started with my diet, no more soda-pop, less fried foods and more veggies, going on three months now. I have also quit smoking going on 2 months.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
More power to you Scooby Scooby

I grabbed a Salsa Blackborow model close-out and got a really nice deal on it, so that's another option if there is a nice shop near you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Scooby

Trakanon Raider
Going through Amazon as a large chunk of the cash I saved is via gift cards .. If I was going local bike shop I'd prolly be looking at a Trek Farley 5 or Felt DD 70.

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm actualy saving up for a bike ... haven't riden in like 25 years, but I have left myself go so bad I gotta get back in shape and lose alot of weight or I'm gonna drop dead from a heart attack.

Looking at getting a Framed Minnesota LTD

View attachment 176935
Skipped over this post and while Im not too knowledgeable about who Framed is, it seems at least decent for an internet bike. Uses TA spacing and looks to be a 1.5 inch headset so will be upgradeable for when you start getting faster and wanting to waste some money.

• 1Like

Scooby

Trakanon Raider
Bike is ordered .. I should have it by Tues. I chose home delivery instead of sending it to a bike shop because the only option I had was to send it to Performance Bikes like an hour away from me with a really shitty rep. If I run into any issues (doubt I will) I'll take it to a local bike shop that I trust.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Bike is ordered .. I should have it by Tues. I chose home delivery instead of sending it to a bike shop because the only option I had was to send it to Performance Bikes like an hour away from me with a really shitty rep. If I run into any issues (doubt I will) I'll take it to a local bike shop that I trust.
take it to the bikeshop you trust anyways... if you're really going to ride your new bike, it should get a fitting... if you're getting a fitting you might as well have them put it together and then do the fitting after they finish.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Hey Fifey Fifey , got a recommendation for a solo tent? May be going on a week long ride next April. Never done this kind of thing. Figuring out what I need.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Hey Fifey Fifey , got a recommendation for a solo tent? May be going on a week long ride next April. Never done this kind of thing. Figuring out what I need.
I do two different ways depending on the weather, during peak summer where there is no chance of rain, Ill just bring a hammock and a tarp and make a lean-to over the hammock or that tent I have is just a cheapo Amazon 20 dollar one. I dont really go out on trips after fall since it sucks in the PNW so my tent is just a way to keep bugs off me.

Just remember to keep things light and balanced on the bike, I prefer to have as little weight on the handlebars as possible. All the cool kids are going to just using frame/seatpost bags but I don't really wanna drop 500 bucks on bags when I already had all the racks I'd need.

I do think a good seatpost bag would be a worthwhile investment though, something like Seat Bags | Revelate Designs LLC

Another thing is bring a zipties ,spoke tool, chain breaker and a way to dial your derailleur, doesnt tie up too much weight or space but will be a lifesaver if needed.

Edit : Found a photo of a recent quick trip I went on. Did a little 3 day trip where we never really left civilization so I was able to pack super light. Front rack is holding hammock, stove, tarp, clothes and was just refueling along the way at stores. Nothings in the bag, I just had to bring it with due to a long story and the trip was part of my move. The pink drybag can hang off the saddle but I was being lazy here, the photo with the blue bike is when I did Seattle -> Astoria-> Portland.
20181016_102013.jpg

20180806_112531.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone bike in cold weather? Beefing up my winter gear and looking for shoes. Probably just going to get some good mid high cold weather hiking boots. My low temp last year was 10 degrees Fahrenheit because I can't keep my feet warm enough.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Does anyone bike in cold weather? Beefing up my winter gear and looking for shoes. Probably just going to get some good mid high cold weather hiking boots. My low temp last year was 10 degrees Fahrenheit because I can't keep my feet warm enough.
I use some salomon winter hiking boots: X ULTRA WINTER CS WP 2 - Winter Shoes - Shoes - MEN

Wolvhammer if you feel like dropping cash (or Wolfgar). For the boots, make sure the inside part that might rub on the cranks is protected, or it'll rub and damage real fast.

• 2Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Also, get some wool socks, but make sure the boots aren't too tight.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i would have said, its more the socks then boots. but those boots do seem pretty sweet.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah, i would have said, its more the socks then boots. but those boots do seem pretty sweet.
Mine are great, I use them winter hiking all the time (but the wool socks sure as hell help). The wolvhammer are awesome, especially the new ones (or the sweet sweet limited edition redwing leather ones), but the Wolfgar are obscene for cold weather riding... though "cold" is -20 or so.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Those boots look nice but they're outta my price range. I've been using wool socks while riding for the last year so I've got that covered, but what brand do you guys use? I want to get a few more pair and the smartwool reviews on amazon aren't that great. I went to Cables to see what they had and I like the fit of these two shoes. I've had a pair of keen river shoes for 10 years and had no problem with them.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Those boots look nice but they're outta my price range. I've been using wool socks while riding for the last year so I've got that covered, but what brand do you guys use? I want to get a few more pair and the smartwool reviews on amazon aren't that great. I went to Cables to see what they had and I like the fit of these two shoes. I've had a pair of keen river shoes for 10 years and had no problem with them.

Darn Tough for thicker, fitsok for thinner.

Also, I found a friend who got a discount on the boots, so I got them for like 40% or 60% off.
Edit: Also, I don't think those are high enough, unless you're wearing winter gaiters.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
I run 45NRTH wolvhammers. They stay warm down to -10f.

edit: I always thought they were wolfhammers until I read the rest of Ao's responses.

• 2Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I run 45NRTH wolvhammers. They stay warm down to -10f.

edit: I always thought they were wolfhammers until I read the rest of Ao's responses.
"Wolvhammer" and "Wolfgar"... fucking 45nrth...