Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
30 tooth on 104 BCD, pretty cool tech.
F2D5EE78-C09D-4D75-B4DA-F554326B42F5.jpeg
17981C15-9DFF-43E5-95F5-43E38454D629.jpeg

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Any of you nerds know about direct mount chainrings/cranks? Good idea? Bad Idea? Have a decent deal on CL but unsure about if it's a good idea since it seems everyone uses their own pattern instead of a standard like BCD.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Any of you nerds know about direct mount chainrings/cranks? Good idea? Bad Idea? Have a decent deal on CL but unsure about if it's a good idea since it seems everyone uses their own pattern instead of a standard like BCD.

Lots of options out there, if you want the most options for a 1X direct mount is the way to go

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Moving this month so holding off on buying brakes and a front wheel but having fun with this as an obnoxious fixie in the meantime. Really digging the sliding dropout system, its pretty clever.

20190201_143821.jpg

20190201_143831.jpg

20190201_143843.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I need to winterize my freehub as Its been freezing on a lot of commutes at around -25 Celcius (-12 F).

Any experiences and recommendations? Oil/grease to use? Is it worth getting Shimano silent clucth freehubs? They sound good but I've got some mild hills to climb (5%) and am worried they will grip too slowly on climbs.

So far cycling through all the cold weather has been great with my cross country ski layers but I've come close to wiping out a few times because of pawls not gripping fast enough on climbs and especially on rough snowy patches. I've been keeping the bike inside to keep it warm but on colder days it still freezes half way through the rides (30-40 min depending on traffic/snow).

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
New parts days are best days! Some stuff came in for my new DJ build. Got some badass wheels on order too. Still don’t have the frame but that will likely be the last thing to arrive.
57B90C5B-B221-4137-929C-19B3FF8CC906.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I know I've asked before, but any recommendations on casual/road/gravel shoes? Preferably something I could wear for mountain biking (midwest MTB). I keep getting pointed to a pair of Sidi dominators, but the last pair of shoes recommended to me by the shop weren't great (DZR something).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
we've moved and my commute has doubled. In case you're bored at work and need something feature length film to watch.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Nice man, you have all sorts of schools in walking distance now.

(Totally not a stalker I promise, just got curious after I saw which town you rode towards, spent a lot of time there during school.)

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I know I've asked before, but any recommendations on casual/road/gravel shoes? Preferably something I could wear for mountain biking (midwest MTB). I keep getting pointed to a pair of Sidi dominators, but the last pair of shoes recommended to me by the shop weren't great (DZR something).
As was mentioned the Giro Privateer is a good shoe that's affordable but fair warning, I've broken all 3 pairs I've owned. Not sure how I do it but it'll crack right between the cleat and the toe spike mount. Still very rideable and useable but can feel the flex in the shoe when walking/hard effort.

I think some of the shimano shoes are pretty solid, friend always rocked the XC70s with no complaints.

Mavic makes a shoe as well or did that's a pretty solid cyclocross shoe.

Sidis are the longest lasting/best of the bunch but the highest price tag, I've always found mine used. Doubt I'd ever pay full retail for them.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Finally got it all built and went out to some local trails. Im digging it, a bit rusty cause Ive been off the trails since I moved but got back into the swing of things. Gearing is too large atm and had to hikeabike some so gonna drop it down to 32x19 or possibly 32x20.

20190316_130201.jpg

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Three weeks ago I took a huge hit, shoulder is just now getting better. I
Land head/shoulder/face and get laid out for at least a second. Today I was back out there and sending it. However my right foot was forward, I didn’t notice the change until half way through the session. I have always been left foot forward...
This is the equivalent of waking up and suddenly be able to write with the other hand. I consciously put left foot forward and it didn’t feel weird, I can now jump with either foot forward and it is amazing.
Head injuries are weird.