Bicycling

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I love my tangle bag, but you're ridding an el mar w/ drops right? Probably wouldn't fit but some of the other revelate stuff might. I have the sweet roll and hardness for it and I'm dying to try it.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Stuck on a train heading back to Philly but been out in oregon doing some riding this month.

Still need to get a frame bag and a good front roll instead of using a front rack but it works for now.
Looks like fun! How much weight did you have on your handlebars? Looks like it would be tricky to handle on gravel.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Looks like fun! How much weight did you have on your handlebars? Looks like it would be tricky to handle on gravel.
It looks heavier than it is, It's usually my tent which is maybe 3ish Lbs, 3L water bladder and then my food and a sweater. I mainly just go out for 2-3 day trips so I don't need to pack super heavy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Very light then. What sort of food do you bring along? I'm planning on taking my younger kids on a bike trip fishing & camping next summer but I'll be repurposing their old 2 seater Thule trailer for tent, gear and food. Only looking at 2/3 of a days ride (at kid pace) out of the city to test things out before trying a multiple night stop.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It looks heavier than it is, It's usually my tent which is maybe 3ish Lbs, 3L water bladder and then my food and a sweater. I mainly just go out for 2-3 day trips so I don't need to pack super heavy.
I love my sweet roll from Revelate. The tangle bag is a good option for the frame bag as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Very light then. What sort of food do you bring along? I'm planning on taking my younger kids on a bike trip fishing & camping next summer but I'll be repurposing their old 2 seater Thule trailer for tent, gear and food. Only looking at 2/3 of a days ride (at kid pace) out of the city to test things out before trying a multiple night stop.
I usually bring a jar of peanut butter, oreos and tortillas for roadside snacking and maybe some trailmix or whatever.

For at camp, I have a propane burner and a metal cup/pot. Dinner is usually some instant rice and a can of chili in a tortilla and whiskey. Not trying to win any culinary awards just usually grabbing stuff st the store the night before.

Will use the pot to make coffee in the morning.

Most important thing is just making sure you have all the tools needed for the inevitable mechanical. Spoke wrench, zip ties, patches and tubes and allen keys aee crucial.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I love my sweet roll from Revelate. The tangle bag is a good option for the frame bag as well.
Wow, very interesting, I had no idea there were so many accesories, will def look into expanding my collection. Should make packing for a few days much easier. My road bike has nothing but water bottle holders and an under seat bag but I thought my hybrid was maxed out with the rear rack and 2 side and 1 top bag.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here use a GPS cycling computer they might recommend?

I'm looking to upgrade a Sigma BC 23.16 STS to something that (1) I can map/record my rides with, and (2) help me pace myself during longer solo rides.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider

I'm looking to upgrade a Sigma BC 23.16 STS to something that (1) I can map/record my rides with, and (2) help me pace myself during longer solo rides.
Garmins are the goto for most people I know, will link ti a heart rate monitor and all that jazz.

• 1Like

Caliane

Can't say I've tried others, to compare.
But heres an example of what my Garmin instinct gives.

Its a watch, has gps, compass, temperature, etc. tracks heartrate, cadance, speed, elevation, etc. Has many settings. biking, hiking.
It is linked to an ANT+, bluetooth frame sensor for wireless speed/cadence.

Onscreen display will show time, speed, etc. And can will show the path you took, but, not directly overlay a real time map. When you get home, and sync it with your Garmin account, it will show you real maps. (a smart phone can probably sync in real time.. I dont have one.)

Temp function in this watch is a bit funny. Its basically useless as the heat of your arm, always effects the reading. unless you take the watch off.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Decided to go with a Lezyne Maga XL GPS bundle . I hate charging shit so the great battery life and storage are a huge plus. Though Garmin seem better at everything else they are a fair bit pricier and I want to see how the training features all work first. Should make for a fun end of season until the snow comes.

Hopefully the Ant/Bluetooth transmitters/sensors are more reliable heh, one thing about my Sigma that bugs me is their custom cadence sensor is finicky and seems to drop out sometimes even though its a handfull of centimetres away.

Thanks for the tip Caliane Caliane that Garmin Instinct seems really cool, I had no idea they had things like that. I guess that would be great for winter skiing too heh, just have to be careful not to become a data junkie and enjoy the sights and eyes on the road.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay bike nerds. What's an excellent site for bike components? Like can filter by bike and model and what have you.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Okay bike nerds. What's an excellent site for bike components? Like can filter by bike and model and what have you.
What are you looking for? Most places wont have a thing that breaks it down year to year just what size the part is but no compatibility, thats on you.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>

late to respond but I will never go back from my Wahoo Element Bolt. Used 3 Garmins before this and everyone ended up having some problem after 6 months or so (the last 2 were warrantied). I'd say 80% of my road cycling club has swapped to Wahoo and no one has a single complaint, only huge positives about them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

I looked at a few bike reviews and the makers website to see what my bike originally had on it way back. I still had the paperwork and reall thick manual that came with it helped. What I had changed out was on me however.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I'm mostly old school Local Bike Shop only but nowdays Ebay? if you know for certain what you want/need, at least for somewhat less commonly stocked parts.

Ebay (Germany) is where I just got a 1" carbon fork to finish restoring/upgrading my 1990s Peugot Aluminum to a threadless headset. Admittedly 1" are hard to find nowdays, but still cheaper than local bike shops & web.

Nothing beats a road test so LBS is still my first stop before plopping dosh down on anything new/expensive. But pricing new 52-36T 165mm cranksets (infrequently stocked item) ebay is tempting and ultra competitive with tons of high volume sellers after looking at quotes from a few LBSes and common web stores.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
late to respond but I will never go back from my Wahoo Element Bolt. Used 3 Garmins before this and everyone ended up having some problem after 6 months or so (the last 2 were warrantied). I'd say 80% of my road cycling club has swapped to Wahoo and no one has a single complaint, only huge positives about them.
How reliant are Wahoos on your Cell for usability? Coming from my virtually featureless but battery frugal Sigma, I'm hoping I configure/download and most routes/workout things @ home with my iPad and PC before I leave for rides .

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
There is an app you put on your phone that pairs your phone to the Wahoo. Unlike Garmin where you do all your configuring on the device itself and had to sync it with your computer to add routes, with Wahoo you do everything on the phone app and it instantly updates the paired device through Bluetooth. You can add routes or make changes while you are out on your ride. Its fantastic. And the battery life is more than twice what my Garmin 820 was.

• 1Like