Bicycling

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great commuter tires but bar end shifters? WTF, this guy was going for a serious retro style. That's not what's showing on the original spec. They are yesterday's tech for a reason and though perfectly functional will generally be a hindrance to you IMO. If you're in love with that bike you could maybe do worse but that doesn't really sell me on it. I'm curious what the original MSRP would have been on it.

I do imagine the other bikes would climb better, but its not like you can't ride uphill on the Raleigh too.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you sure about what size bike you need at this point too? That's sometimes the biggest hurdle to buying online, but if you've done some reading and test riding there's no reason you shouldn't be ok.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
The Raleigh is 55cm and it seems to be pretty good. If I went with one of the other online bikes I would probably go off of their sizing chart which is typically 54-56cm.

My only concern with the online bikes is am I getting my extra $70-$200 worth by going with one of those options? There are also fenders on the Raleigh (not sure what brand).

The thought of owning a brand new bike sounds nice but I don't know enough about bikes to know if it really matters.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you plan to ride in the rain or on wet roads? That's the only reason to have fenders really.

Yes you're getting your money's worth. If you stick with this the bike will pay for itself. If you throw it in the garage in a week and never ride it again, that extra money might be missed of course.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Too much road, not enough woods in the thread lately. It's the best time of year, no bugs, cooler weather, nice clean trails. This will be my last year with the Scalpel, though I'll keep it as a spare. Need me some slacker head angle and sexy carbon, so I'm going to grab a leftover '14 Trance pretty soon. Fucking brilliant bikes, can not wait.

Trance Advanced 27.5 1 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

In the meantime, here's some woods goodness courtesy of my usual hipstergram for Strava.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Too much road, not enough woods in the thread lately. It's the best time of year, no bugs, cooler weather, nice clean trails..
The rain has started here in Portland so next weeks CX racing will be excellent for me, I learned I suck at the straightaways but crush people on the technical parts since I know how to actually ride a bike.

P.S. I'll buy that fatbike when you decide you need a crabon fatbike.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just participated in a 51mi "gravel ride" that had us going up a 30ft hill of sand, a rock garden that was 200 ft long (on an ATV trail), 1200 feet of climbing on a highway, and clearing a cross country ski trail. :|

Holy fuck it was nice to finish.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Finally got my camera mounted and stabilized properly. Had a solid run and i think the video came out great.
That looks great man. Bonus for the Amon Amarth tuneage. Admittedly I didn't watch the whole thing, since I wouldn't even watch 12 minutes of myself MTBing, haha.

What camera are you using, and what mount?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I might be riding my bike to class from now on to prevent anymore parking tickets. It would be early and late riding. Does anyone have any recommendations for lights and how many? One on handlebar, one on helmet, and two on the back?

Disp_sl

shitlord
What camera are you using, and what mount?
Just a Gopro with a chest mount. Had it for about 6 months, but it always came out really shaky or angled wrong, so I gave up and stopped using it for a while. I mounted it higher on my chest, upside down and inverted the recording, and that helped me get the angle I needed.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I might be riding my bike to class from now on to prevent anymore parking tickets. It would be early and late riding. Does anyone have any recommendations for lights and how many? One on handlebar, one on helmet, and two on the back?
Is it all city riding? I useKnog Blindersfor all my city riding/some light off road shit. It's bright enough to see what you need, easily removable/detachable since it's SF and anything on a bike is going to get taken, and for my ten mile RT commute I can go a week or more without needing a recharge on it.

I hate the obnoxious 600lumen lights that people use in the city, all it does is blind other riders.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
No. It would be city into country. I live in Marin county, so I would have to go across the GG bridge to get into the city. I know the trails really well; however, it is *very* dark when I leave in the morning.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Huh, just looked at it, and it's because of the music. Guess it's blocked in a couple countries because of the songs I added.