Biggest guilty pleasures

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Do you like Phil Collins? Been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I didn't really understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins's work became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch is the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceeding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I’ve heard in rock. Collins’ solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Not sure How Paul Mccartney or some of the other things posted in here really belong in this thread. Some of the videos shouldn't just produce feelings of guilt though, they should cause you to feel great shame!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Do you like Phil Collins? Been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I didn't really understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins's work became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch is the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceeding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I’ve heard in rock. Collins’ solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Going to see PC in Vegas in October. First cassette I ever bought when I was like 10 was No Jacket Required.

More recent guilty pleasure:

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Obscure 80s hair bands. Bang Tango. LA Guns. Which people know of course until you ask them if they ever listened. Then no. Good stuff.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
TWRP / Ninja Sex Party. Someone in the WoW guild introduced me to them by chance, can't even remember how. Dan Avidan can sing, holy shit.

They do a bunch of stuff together, and TWRP is NSP's actual backing band now (since their cover albums came out).

Most NSP stuff is comedy (and pretty good). They did 2 cover albums that were incredible. Dan does a cover of The Last Unicorn that is incredible.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I don't know if you would qualify this or not but ever since Tez and Myxio started linking synthwave shit during our WoW waves I found this remix and it just owns ass.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been listening a lot of Lana Del Rey since my friend introduced me to her albums this summer. Her songs are really easy to just chill out to in the summer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Do you remember when Maroon 5 pre-Overexposed was a guilty pleasure rather than just shit? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Needless

Toe Sucker
BabyMetal is legit bro, theres no shame there. Their actual band is really good.

my guilty pleasure is (mostly?) female japanese rock bands:

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
In today's age of talentless hacks peddling their wares through the magic of Auto Tune and computer assisted recording techniques, I'd call it a guilty pleasure to enjoy some of these classics. Back from the days when having a good voice, the ability to play an instrument well, or just to tell a good story actually meant something.

Elvis, from shortly before he died. OK, he was so fucked up he could barely manage to talk at the start of the video, but as soon as he starts to sing you can instantly understand why he was called The King:

Karen Carpenter will always have a special place in my heart. Not only one of the best female vocalists ever, but also just a damn sexy lady. That voice of hers just melts me. Pity how she ended.

With regards to stories, this one always has been a favourite. Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood partnered for a while, during which they were called Beauty and the Beast.

Dean Martin makes me wish I lived in the 50s, just to be able to go to smoke filled bars and hear the likes of him sing, even if it meant I'd die of lung cancer from all the indirect smoking:

Then there are good choirs, there's something special about a group of well trained singers combining their voices to make something more powerful than the sum of their parts:

Ahhh... nostalgia, it's one hell of a drug. Now, sure, I know you can find good and talented modern artists, but I just find something special about the good old days when you needed to be talented in order to be taken seriously.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Since this is the second Tegan and Sara I've posted in this thread can it really be guilty anymore or am I just committed?