Biggest video game disappointment?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think for me it was FFXIV 1.0.

FFXI was basically my ever quest. I played that game for like 6 years straight every single day all day. I was in a premier endgame linkshell, I made life long friends, and generally ruined my life.FFXIV was supposed to be version 2.0 of that.

When it launched it was hot garbage. I couldn't even understand how they went from such a rich game to.. That.

The combat was horrible, the leve system was bunk, graphics were shit. It was bad.

They did redeem themselves as we all know, but to me the damage was done. I was never able to fully get into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
not my biggest disappointment (that would probably be EQ2), but PvZ 2 is a great example of how big money can ruin a beautiful thing...
They basically took pvz and asked themselves "how can we divide the standard features of this wonderful game into little pieces that people have to pay for"

It's disgusting

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They basically took pvz and asked themselves "how can we divide the standard features of this wonderful game into little pieces that people have to pay for"

It's disgusting

And yet somehow, it got really good reviews. I think I saw a metacritic 88% rating when I peeked at the Wikipedia page earlier. I think all those people reviewing it must have just never played the first...

Dashkett

Trakanon Raider
SC2? LOL!

Star Control 3, 'nuff said.

+1 on the Star Control 3 disappointment. Was what came to mind when I saw the thread title, then I saw that I was scooped. :)

As an aside, the original Star Control is what got me to buy a Sega Genesis back when it was still a big thing at the stores, even though I could not really afford it that month. But for a few weeks a bunch of my D and D weekend gaming group were playing it while waiting for everyone to arrive, and I became addicted and wanted to practice at home so the next week I could kick the ass of the guy that was beating everyone. After I won one game after mastering it, he didn't want to play it ever again.

Then I loved Star Control 2 when it came out, something abut it really clicked with me.

Was so excited about Star Control 3, was figuring it could only get better with modern graphics and game play since 2... blargh at what they did to it.

Horizons, Vanguard, and Guild Wars 2 really disappointed as well. So much shiny promised, all three took a dump compared to what they could have and should have been and developers said they would be.

Was jaded enough by the time Everquest Landmark promised the moon that was not disappointed by that as much vs expectations, even though I foolishly gave them early access money.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
To add to the list.

NES: Rampart.
Bought that game with money I saved mowing lawns, based on the awesome back cover, pirate ships, cannon balls, castle building. Played it for a couple hours tops before I never played it again.
Twisted Metal 3, after TM2 I was expecting something amazing, instead I got a piece of recycles broken shit.
Ninja Gaiden 3, WTF did they do?
The Darkness 2, they changed everything that made it fun.

Not really a game but the Vita should have been amazing.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Definitely Mass Effect 3. The Mass Effect series was one of my all-time favorite series' ever. I still remember the feeling when I beat the first game and the Faunts song kicks in at the credits. 3 started off amazingly well, the Mordin stuff was brilliant, and then by the end you're just left with your dick in your hand going.."Are you fucking serious?! That's it?!"...

Sterling

El Presidente
SWTOR. I wanted that to be the one, but instead it ended up being a WoW clone with lightsabers, which just wasn't very inspired. Huttball was the shit though.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

I must be good at evaluating games before purchases or good at wiping off bad memories, because I can't think of a game I hoped would be great that I bought and that ended up being terrible.

Yoshi Island DS cost me a DS though with its craptacular use of dual screen and Ulitmate Ghost 'n Goblins (Gomakaimura) cost me a PSP because they don't known the difference between retarded and challenging.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
MS not being able to execute some form of their initial vision for the Xbox One is probably my biggest disappointment. We're slowly getting bits and pieces still, but shattering the divide between digital and physical copies while preserving the ability to trade them in would have been awesome and would be able to take advantage of all the usual retailer sales and promotions on physical copies while still building a digital library.

It's not for everyone, and they got their shit pushed in for good reason, but it's my biggest disappointment.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
MS not being able to execute some form of their initial vision for the Xbox One is probably my biggest disappointment. We're slowly getting bits and pieces still, but shattering the divide between digital and physical copies while preserving the ability to trade them in would have been awesome and would be able to take advantage of all the usual retailer sales and promotions on physical copies while still building a digital library.

It's not for everyone, and they got their shit pushed in for good reason, but it's my biggest disappointment.

Great post.

Seeing MS push Kinect so hard and now Sony doing the same thing with their VR almost makes you think they are working together to switch dominance every 3-5 years.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Sword of the Stars 2. It had every good idea I could imagine in a Total War Esqe sci fi game (Literally, like my child hood wish list). You could design ships so gun placements, specialized sections (Hulls, Command, Engines) really mattered. Each weapon left a different pattern of destruction in armor--so how a weapon actually impacted armor mattered not just its damage (Weapons that did less but penetrated deeper could sometimes be a lot better, depending on ship design). Real physics were used in the battles, not hit formulations, so shots could deflect off hulls, or push a ship into another ship for more damage--maneuvering mattered because of this. Ect ect.

I could go on...But then it released, and while the battles kind of worked, and had all those cool things? The strategy portion of the game was broken and the AI just wasn't there. Ships would just sit there. Game was totally not finished and then the company that made it went into a kind of crisis mode and only updated it enough that its still barely functional. Sucked.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Definitely Mass Effect 3. The Mass Effect series was one of my all-time favorite series' ever. I still remember the feeling when I beat the first game and the Faunts song kicks in at the credits. 3 started off amazingly well, the Mordin stuff was brilliant, and then by the end you're just left with your dick in your hand going.."Are you fucking serious?! That's it?!"...

This. The gameplay was a fantastic step up from ME2, and the first half or so of the story was great, but then it fell sharply downhill and the ending was so terrible that it tainted the experience of the entire series for me. As rudimentary as it was, ME1 was the best and they only went downhill from there.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
EQ2
Lair
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Agree with your list but what was wrong with FO4?

I had never played a Fallout. People got me hyped based on what Fallout 3 was like, and it didn't come anywhere near my expectations.

Story was lame. Player impact was minimal.

I forced myself to put ~30 hours in on a single rushed playthrough and then hocked it. Stopped having fun after 8 hours or so.