Biggest video game disappointment?

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's a tie between No Man's Sky and The Division. I can't remember ever being as disappointed in a released product as those two, but that could be as a result of the over inflated hype that both games had.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It's a tie between No Man's Sky and The Division. I can't remember ever being as disappointed in a released product as those two, but that could be as a result of the over inflated hype that both games had.
I feel like The Division is right there with Destiny - solid game play with ethical complaints about withholding content and artificial cockblocks.

NMS is just a steaming pile of shit that was called a golden egg for 2 years.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Disappointed by everything I've heard of No Man's Sky. That's the one game I've been eagerly anticipating for more than a year. Based on what everyone has said, both on these boards and without, my eagerness has dropped considerably. Hoped NMS would live up to the hype but was skeptical.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Final Fantasy 8.

Final Fantasy 1 for the nes was my first JRPG. I played that game for years before I finally got a new gaming system which was Playstation 1. The first game I bought for PS1 was Final Fantasy 7. It blew me away. After spending 300 hours playing FF7, I was desperate for more Final Fantasy so I went out and bought Final Fantasy: Tactics. Which, impossibly, was even better than Final Fantasy 7. I couldn't believe it! Square was raising the bar with every game I played.

Then they announced Final Fantasy 8. I saw the commercials, the graphics, the visuals, everything looked amazing.

Then we heard there was a demo released with Brave Fencer Musashi. So my brother and I saved up our money and bought a copy.

Brave_Fencer_Musashi.jpg

We popped in the demo disk and threw the case and the BF Musashi disc in the trash.

The demo was god damn epic!

I played this things thirty or forty times over and over again until 8 finally came out.

It started good, with gorgeous cinematics, and then... I met Squall.

Worst character ever. Emo fuck. The game and story turned out to be complete shit. I never even bothered finishing it.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sinnes

Molten Core Raider
EQ2 (when first released). Just garbage from game play, graphics, everything.

Probably this one for me as well, it was so disappointing in almost every way. For the reasons you mentioned and other annoying flaws. Still played like a no lifer maniac at release, was almost the first one to reach level 20 on my server. Exping was incredibly slow so don't mock me for having that goal:) The bastard who stole that important life goal from me was actually Kungen (who later became some kind of WoW celeb). After level 19ish we were basically the same people grouping 24/7 since the amount of players that was over level 15 was a very small number. Kungen, like so many others, quit and left our no-lifer group for WoW shortly after it released. Being the loyal fucker that i am, i stayed.

After a year or so when the game was more optimized and DoF was released, the game was getting real good IMO. I also enjoyed the incredible unbalanced PvP on Nagafen, had some great times.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Final Fantasy 8.

Final Fantasy 1 for the nes was my first JRPG. I played that game for years before I finally got a new gaming system which was Playstation 1. The first game I bought for PS1 was Final Fantasy 7. It blew me away. After spending 300 hours playing FF7, I was desperate for more Final Fantasy so I went out and bought Final Fantasy: Tactics. Which, impossibly, was even better than Final Fantasy 7. I couldn't believe it! Square was raising the bar with every game I played.

Then they announced Final Fantasy 8. I saw the commercials, the graphics, the visuals, everything looked amazing.

Then we heard there was a demo released with Brave Fencer Musashi. So my brother and I saved up our money and bought a copy.

View attachment 80581

We popped in the demo disk and threw the case and the BF Musashi disc in the trash.

The demo was god damn epic!

I played this things thirty or forty times over and over again until 8 finally came out.

It started good, with gorgeous cinematics, and then... I met Squall.

Worst character ever. Emo fuck. The game and story turned out to be complete shit. I never even bothered finishing it.
Beat me to it. After 7 and tactics it was brutal. The start of the decline of square

• 1Like

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Beat me to it. After 7 and tactics it was brutal. The start of the decline of square
Final Fantasy IX is actually great though; very underrated. Pick up the PC Re-Release (up-scaled character models, can turn off random battles, instant 99, etc.) -- it's fantastic.

• 3Like

Praetorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
"Recently" you would be hard pressed to refuse electing No Man's Sky or the storyline of Destiny.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
When I completed the McNeil legacy achievement on Xbox 360 Command and Conquer 3 but the last piece was bugged so it wouldn't complete or give credit.

I was literally mad for days.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Halo: Combat evolved

Easily the first game to break my heart. I was into PC online shooters in the 90s and Myth: The fallen lords by Bungie was my favourite non FPS game to play online. When Bungie showed us Halo for the first time, I had dreams of a new Tribes with better map objectives like Myth offered but with vehicles that matters unlike Tribes.
What we got was a non PC watered down boring as fuck FPS that played about as fast as Goldeneye with no god damn multiplayer worth playing if you have been on the PC playing Quake/unreal/half life games. Fuck me they didn't even give us a single player game with enough maps to progress the story. And no, walking backwards through maps is not new content.
Fuck you Bungie, faggot sell outs.

• 1Solidarity

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Every Tribes game after the first. First one was just perfection and the skill ceiling and speed of renegade mod and lt was awesome to play.

• 3Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Every Tribes game after the first. First one was just perfection and the skill ceiling and speed of renegade mod and lt was awesome to play.

Tribes 2 was a massive let down.

• 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
The first game that immediately springs to mind is Back to the Future for the NES. However, my disappointment didn't have much to do with my having an overabundance of expectations for it.

A short background:

Where I grew up was practically in the middle of nowhere. The closest place to possibly find a video game to buy involved a pretty lengthy trip, and it wasn't near either of my parents' jobs. Despite working long hours, my parents didn't have a lot of disposable income back then, so video games were almost always exclusively received during Christmas and my birthday. One day, knowing that I was a huge fan of the NES and BTTF and was looking forward to the game, my mom came home and surprised me with a BTTF cartridge that she had rented from the video store. She explained that she had gone to a different store to buy it, but by the time she had arrived there, it was sold out, so she reserved a copy to be picked up in a few weeks. Not wanting me to wait longer, she then trucked it out to the video store to rent it. Wow, what a nice surprise!

I then popped that fucker into the NES and within two minutes realized it was the biggest pile of dog shit that I had ever played. I immediately felt terrible that my mom went to all of this trouble for me, and here I hated the game. I tried desperately to find some redeeming quality about it - anything to justify my mom spending $50 and a good chunk of her free time on surprising me with it. I powered through a few levels, forcing myself to take in the garbage graphics, oppressively repetitive gameplay and music that had nothing to do with the movie it was based on, but of course, it was all for naught. I can still clearly recall the sting of guilt that I felt when I was forced to tell her that it was a lost cause and to cancel the reservation. Fuck that game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

The first game that immediately springs to mind is Back to the Future for the NES. However, my disappointment didn't have much to do with my having an overabundance of expectations for it.

A short background:

Where I grew up was practically in the middle of nowhere. The closest place to possibly find a video game to buy involved a pretty lengthy trip, and it wasn't near either of my parents' jobs. Despite working long hours, my parents didn't have a lot of disposable income back then, so video games were almost always exclusively received during Christmas and my birthday. One day, knowing that I was a huge fan of the NES and BTTF and was looking forward to the game, my mom came home and surprised me with a BTTF cartridge that she had rented from the video store. She explained that she had gone to a different store to buy it, but by the time she had arrived there, it was sold out, so she reserved a copy to be picked up in a few weeks. Not wanting me to wait longer, she then trucked it out to the video store to rent it. Wow, what a nice surprise!

I then popped that fucker into the NES and within two minutes realized it was the biggest pile of dog shit that I had ever played. I immediately felt terrible that my mom went to all of this trouble for me, and here I hated the game. I tried desperately to find some redeeming quality about it - anything to justify my mom spending $50 and a good chunk of her free time on surprising me with it. I powered through a few levels, forcing myself to take in the garbage graphics, oppressively repetitive gameplay and music that had nothing to do with the movie it was based on, but of course, it was all for naught. I can still clearly recall the sting of guilt that I felt when I was forced to tell her that it was a lost cause and to cancel the reservation. Fuck that game.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS TOWN NEEDING PANES OF GLASS REPLACED SO THE WORKERS ARE CONSTANTLY CARRYING IT AROUND THE STREET >_<

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Civ 5 and Stellaris.

Civ. How do you go from civ 4 to this? It was like going from Legos to mega block.

Stellaris. It was such a letdown compared to eu4. Combat was a joke.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The rise of the 'pay me before I create the content' strategy in games development.

Also the EA-ification of great IPs.

EA is the guy who reads a review of a book and then and speaks with authority about the book for the rest of his life. He is the guy that never reads anything or goes anywhere and thus never appreciates anything. EA is a fat disgusting neck-beard who never washes his underwear but thinks himself superior to all around him. Their mindless fans just want bite-sized Starz in Black or Gawker or EA versions of great IPs. They want to get nickle and dimed with condensed abridged ideas and games, sold to them in bite sized pre-chewed chunks of gray recycled drab ideas. EA is Soylent Green.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Reading this thread caused eq2 flash backs.

Picking 1 of 4 base classes was garbage.

Cities packed with FedEx quests. I remember making so many new characters that I basically had a route memorized.

Garbage enemy groups. Forcing packs to stick together was an awful design.

Desolate landscapes.

SINGLE CORE OPTIMIZED STILL TO THIS Day.

Plastic graphics with shit lighting.

Weird spell tiers.

Worst of all... 8000 fucking buttons.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users