Biggest video game disappointment?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Fallout 4 was a very strange game for me. It was both a wonderful game and a major disappointment at the same time. I think like all Bethesda games the story they wrote was trash, FO4 more so than usual. But the real fun was in the story you made for yourself while playing it.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think like all Bethesda games the story they wrote was trash, FO4 more so than usual. But the real fun was in the story you made for yourself while playing it.

The writing in Oblivion's Shivering Isles, Dark Brotherhood and The Grey Fox thieves guild quest, all of Morrowind, and many side quests in FO3 were far superior to most titles I've played in the last 10 years never mind the terrific lore.

Also Nuka world DLC and Far harbor were redemption in answering fans just criticism for a better dialogue system. The Silver Shroud's story arc alone was god tier all the way to the last DLC in Nuka World.

It's no New Vegas but it's still a fantastic game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Fallout 4 was a very strange game for me. It was both a wonderful game and a major disappointment at the same time. I think like all Bethesda games the story they wrote was trash, FO4 more so than usual. But the real fun was in the story you made for yourself while playing it.

See, that's what people kept saying. I just didn't have many of those 'own story' moments.

I had maybe a few significant moments through my entire playthrough.

1) Taking down some giant mutant right outside starter area very early on.
2) Exploring the 'mayor's bunker' on the west side of map and getting jumped by my first Deathclaw.
3) The witch house thing in Salem.
4) the serial killer's house.
5) The Miller's bunker @ Big John's salvage for the feels

The rest of the game was utterly forgettable for me. I even slaughtered the entirety of the Brotherhood of Steel at one point and it felt totally inconsequential.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
See, that's what people kept saying. I just didn't have many of those 'own story' moments.

I had maybe a few significant moments through my entire playthrough.

1) Taking down some giant mutant right outside starter area very early on.
2) Exploring the 'mayor's bunker' on the west side of map and getting jumped by my first Deathclaw.
3) The witch house thing in Salem.
4) the serial killer's house.
5) The Miller's bunker @ Big John's salvage for the feels

The rest of the game was utterly forgettable for me. I even slaughtered the entirety of the Brotherhood of Steel at one point and it felt totally inconsequential.

Play Far Harbor and Nuka world.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ2
Lair
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5

THPS5 was more of an assumed heartbreak for me than a disappointment. I kinda had the feeling they were phoning it in, so I wasn't really disappointed when it turned out to be shit. But yeah, I can't think of another series I'd prefer to see reinvigorated. I don't even care for skateboarding - the games are just that good.

• 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah? Worth it?

Maybe when a complete edition comes out or something, because I'd have to re-purchase the base game.

Yes very much worth it better than the main game by a mile.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Fable 1, 2, 3.

Sarcasm aside I agree with Szlia. Not much disappoints me but I tend to avoid everything that doesn't have a glowing review from the board or friends. Even mediocre things usually entertain me enough for a 69% off Steam sale.

Tim

Molten Core Raider
Tabula Rasa

The game promised so much, and was actually quite good for about a week, then it became apparent that the choices in quests you made didn't matter, and the game play was super repetitive.

Star Trek Online

I told my girlfriend at the time, that if she suddenly didn't hear from me for a few months, it was probably because this game I had been waiting for so long to come out finally did. STO was released, and unfortunately did nothing to ruin our relationship. She was a real bitch.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
No Man's Sky was a massive disappointment.

Deserts of Karak sucked. I think it's the only refund I've requested on steam.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah? Worth it?

Maybe when a complete edition comes out or something, because I'd have to re-purchase the base game.

Play Fallout: New Vegas. It was developed by Obsidian instead of Bethesda and it's a much better game. The DLC in particular is among the best DLC I've ever played too. Old World Blues is absolutely hysterical.

There's also a gigantic bug fix mod that fixes hundreds of little bugs (and a couple larger ones). It's basically the equivalent of a polish pass that Obsidian clearly didn't have time to do before the game shipped.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Play Fallout: New Vegas. It was developed by Obsidian instead of Bethesda and it's a much better game. The DLC in particular is among the best DLC I've ever played too. Old World Blues is absolutely hysterical.

There's also a gigantic bug fix mod that fixes hundreds of little bugs (and a couple larger ones). It's basically the equivalent of a polish pass that Obsidian clearly didn't have time to do before the game shipped.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Definitely Mass Effect 3. The Mass Effect series was one of my all-time favorite series' ever. I still remember the feeling when I beat the first game and the Faunts song kicks in at the credits. 3 started off amazingly well, the Mordin stuff was brilliant, and then by the end you're just left with your dick in your hand going.."Are you fucking serious?! That's it?!"...
Everyone says this. But what about the DLC stuff - does it fix it a little at least? Haven't played ME3 bc Origin.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think for me it was FFXIV 1.0.
Oh right I forgot about that. I didn't play XI that much so I guess I wasn't THAT hyped, but still pretty hyped since the screens for promotion and stuff looked really cool and they had all these kinda old school ideas of positional grouping strategies and whatever the fuck else. Then I played the beta for like 20mins and quit. I think it might have been the shortest amount of time I played a mmo beta, or pretty close. Even korean garbage I generally give them 30mins or so, but XIV was so amazingly retarded in about everything, the UI lagged so fucking bad because for some reason everything was server side or whatever(like opening your inventory would take 10secs, partly due to load during beta but shit never went away from what I heard), the combat was terrible somehow even though they went for such a simplistic system, the only good thing is the game looked pretty, but it also ran like shit even though my PC was pretty solid at the time.

A big fan of XIV 2.0 though, they went with the wow clone system but they really capitalized well on the FF brand and shit to make a pretty good game out of what amounted to a large pile of shit.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Everyone says this. But what about the DLC stuff - does it fix it a little at least? Haven't played ME3 bc Origin.

I'm only gonna spoil one gameplay thing. There is a mechanic throughout the game that I'll call effective military strength. Your military strength is a number that you steadily build higher by making choices throughout the game, and you can get little bonuses based on your decisions from the previous two games. Your effective military strength is calculated by applying your multiplayer % ranging from 50% (if you don't play multiplayer at all) to 100%, which you can max out pretty quickly just chaining a few low difficulty matches.

The DLC ending changes explain a few things that made no sense during the ending sequence, and then they also added a few major changes based on how high your EMS is when you begin the final mission. Basically it gets a lot less retarded with the highest possible EMS result and then the lower your EMS is, you gradually get back towards the full retard original ending. If the game had shipped like this, I think people would still be largely unsatisfied, but there wouldn't have been so much outcry about how shitty it was. The damage was already done though, clearly the morons still working at Bioware thought the complete trash they shipped was an acceptable ending to their epic trilogy. I wouldn't quite say the studio name was ruined, but between the back to back debacles of ME3 and DA2, they definitely alienated a major chunk of their long term fans.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Tying the ending of ME3 to multiplayer like that pissed me off so much. Fuck Bioware for tying the ending to a three part epic to their tacked on multiplayer gimmick. Even if most people who bothered with the MP did wind up enjoying it they never should have done that.

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Can I call DayZ Standalone a disappointment?

The DayZ Arma II mods are light years ahead of standalone. Three goddamn years in alpha ffs.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tying the ending of ME3 to multiplayer like that pissed me off so much. Fuck Bioware for tying the ending to a three part epic to their tacked on multiplayer gimmick. Even if most people who bothered with the MP did wind up enjoying it they never should have done that.

The multiplayer was significantly better than the actual game itself, which is funny because it wasn't even done by the main studio. Trying to go back to playing Shepard after playing the various mutliplayer characters was damn near impossible. But yeah it was gay as hell, because until they rolled out the extended cut dlc, you couldn't actually get enough war assets for the best ending without playing multiplayer. The maximum amount of war assets without DLC was ~7500, and if your readiness score is only 50%, it isn't possible to get above the 4000 needed for the best ending. I don't think I even had a gold account when I first bought ME3. The extended cut lowered the best ending requirement to 3100, so you can get the best ending without multiplayer or any of the DLC packs.

I promoted so many times in multiplayer that I cannot possibly make it to the end of the game without enough war assets for the best ending.