Bill Simmons leaving ESPN.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Keri, Barnwell, Lowe, Greenwald. That would destroy Grantland. I am one of the few that like Jalen and Jacoby but they got a national radio show now so that's a no.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How the fuck does this get reported last week and we still do not have confirmation on the names.

If I had to pick my top 4 from the remaining talent, it would be Zach Lowe, Jonah Keri, Andy Greenwald, and Chris Ryan... assuming the Jalen and Jacoby ship has sailed and they are both off the table.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
How the fuck does this get reported last week and we still do not have confirmation on the names.
If I had to pick my top 4 from the remaining talent, it would be Zach Lowe, Jonah Keri, Andy Greenwald, and Chris Ryan... assuming the Jalen and Jacoby ship has sailed and they are both off the table.
Shamelessly copy pastaed from a Deadspin article:
Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch reported this evening that the four staffers leaving for the mystery Simmons project are Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin, and Chris Ryan. Going by who he poached here-not all that great a thing to be going on, admittedly-Simmons would seem to be setting up a more pop culture-based site than a sports-focused one.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, he got the B team to skip out together.

I am sure names like Zach Lowe and Jonah Keri are too established and respected to jump on a band wagon exit train with other people. If they leave, they are going to do it on their own time and be their own headline.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Lowe, Keri, Barnwell work for the biggest name in sports reporting (reporting, hah) and even though Simmons has made it pretty clear how much ESPN wasn't really behind Grantland that doesn't mean they don't get pretty good traffic, cred and pay for what they do. HBO isn't exactly a flagship when it comes to sports reporting. Hell, maybe Simmons recognizes that and why he's pulling over the culture related people in that he can't outdo what ESPN/Grantland is doing so why try? Granted him then not getting Wesley Morris is pretty strange if that's the way he's going.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Barnwell and Lowe are the best at what they do imo, I'll read them whatever site it's on. I've stopped making GL a regular read since Simmons left. Shea Serrano is the best account on twitter too, maybe they got him to leave, he's not a huge name though

I don't know how Wesley Morris keeps getting good jobs, I hate him on the podcast.

radditsu

Barnwell and Lowe are the best at what they do imo, I'll read them whatever site it's on. I've stopped making GL a regular read since Simmons left. Shea Serrano is the best account on twitter too, maybe they got him to leave, he's not a huge name though

I don't know how Wesley Morris keeps getting good jobs, I hate him on the podcast.
That's because you are homophobic.

Ok kidding aside, I liked Wesley on everything except movies. Bill always seemed to have good conversations with him, they seemed to be friends. His podcast was not for me because he genuinely has a viewpoint I cannot wrap my head around. I just cant get into a Black Gay Mans head to get where he was going in his critiques. I did enjoy his writing.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
B team for sure. Maybe they can grow. Tough thing about Lowe is basketball is his niche and ESPN has the NBA. Hard to leave that platform. Same with Barnwell and the NFL.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
And...Boom goes the Grantland.

ESPN_sl said:
Effective immediately we are suspending the publication of Grantland. After careful consideration, we have decided to direct our time and energy going forward to projects that we believe will have a broader and more significant impact across our enterprise.

Grantland distinguished itself with quality writing, smart ideas, original thinking and fun. We are grateful to those who made it so. Bill Simmons was passionately committed to the site and proved to be an outstanding editor with a real eye for talent. Thanks to all the other writers, editors and staff who worked very hard to create content with an identifiable sensibility and consistent intelligence and quality. We also extend our thanks to Chris Connelly who stepped in to help us maintain the site these past five months as he returns to his prior role.

Despite this change, the legacy of smart long-form sports story-telling and innovative short form video content will continue, finding a home on many of our other ESPN platforms.

radditsu

And...Boom goes the Grantland.
That quickly?

Barnwell and Mays will be on Simmons pod next week. Lowe by the spring! Jalen and Jacoby got their money so they ain't going anywhere.

Looks like Greenwald was quitting as well.

Man they really did ruin something special.

radditsu

rrr_img_114790.png

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is probably for the best. Grantland never would have been what it was or could have been without Simmons. Blow it up and get the band back together at HBO. We win.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Spirit of St. Louis: Todd Gurley Is Giving the Rams a Chance to Take Flight

After that article they had nothing left to say!

I remember hearing about Grantland and thinking, what a stupid name that will never work. TURNS OUT I WAS RIGHT.

Joking aside, I was shocked that Celtics blowhard was able to turn that site into something special and it's a shame ESPN is too busy ruining their main site to support the best thing to come out of it in the past decade. RIP Grantland.