Bioshock Infinite

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is it just me, or is both comstock and elizabeth getting killed by a big daddy protecting sally a little ridiculous when big daddys aren't yet reliably imprinting on little sisters and vice versa?

spronk

FPS noob
if you are a huge bioshock infinite fan, the collectors edition with songbird statue is on sale for 75% at the irrational store. normally $150, now $37.50+tax+shipping (~$50 total)
Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games

ps3, xbox 360, and PC versions. also the regular versions are on sale too i guess

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Since it's multiple years away, I'll drop it here. Levine is not involved, as he is heading Ghost Story Games (interesting note on that, apparently a job posting went up recently for a "creatively ambitious project in the immersive sim genre" with a "passion for narrative first-person shooters" and "firsthand knowledge of design for shooters, immersive sims and/or action RPGs".

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Levine is not involved

giphy.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Worship of Levine is not justified imho. Like, he is the source of the good, AND the bad in bioshock, and the reason his studio failed.

He wasted truckloads of money, and made an incoherent mess.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Worship of Levine is not justified imho. Like, he is the source of the good, AND the bad in bioshock, and the reason his studio failed.

I completely disagree. His world building is second to none, and that is what made the experience in my opinion. In infinite, the Beach Boys BB SHop God Only Knows, the easter eggs for Tears for fears and "revenge of the jedi" (Before lucas changed the name to return of the jedi) and countless other fantastic and creative POI's and production values. The game was a success financially. (All 3 were) and they are at the top of the list for most anyone who plays games.

All those little things may have driven his publisher and some developers in his team nuts, but his perfection when it comes to demanding the best is what is needed more so now than at any other point in this tit for tat industry which is usually lead with low cost development, cuts, GAAS garbage and cut and paste / re-use asset driven mediocrity.

I still remember the Barbershop Quartet in Bioshock infinite and how cool I thought that was with the old couple dancing to it without having any game play value what so ever, just making a living, breathing world. I still remember Elizabeth and the first tear in the 80's, in Bioshock 1 I still remember how terrified I was in the funeral parlor or the awe in how insane Sander Cohen was as he walked down the stairs like he was accepting an Academy Award after doing his dirty work. There are a handful, at best, of games that resonate with memories of what the game was about.

This was all because Levine pushed back on publishers, timelines, schedules, and mediocre "Hit the milestone" design.

Without Levine, it's Bioshock 2. Run of the mill cookie cutter crap with multiplayer no one asked for nor cares about in this series.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

It’ll be Bioshock 2 which sucked.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I find that games (and TV shows) suck now the same way movies have always sucked: by focusing on their gimmick and failing to make sure the narrative is coherent and worthwhile. It is even more confusing in games since keeping a tight narrative over years of development should be easier than a TV show that demands more seasons or a movie that only shoots for 6 weeks.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
As much as I disliked infinite's story I did enjoy the conclusion of Burial At Sea as it was a fitting end for Elizabeth; I just wish that the Lutece's would've faced some judgement as well. The best parts about Infinite for me are the sorts of things that Utnayan mentioned; that initial walk through Colombia, the fair, the quartet and the beach resort.

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I much as I disliked infinite's story I did enjoy the conclusion of Burial At Sea as it was a fitting end for Elizabeth. The best parts about Infinite for me are the sorts of things that Utnayan mentioned; that initial walk through Colombia, the fair, the quartet and the beach resort.

I wrote why I loved the start and the game but hated the story in this thread somewhere. I'm going to see if I can dig it up because there was so much wasted potential.

Edit: Found it by not being lazy. I still stand by all of it. Fucking waste of a great game.

Just finished it. Mind not blown. The twists were ok but they really did a disservice to this game by taking three separate great stories (Comstock's new world and religion, Vox Populi revolt, the twins scientific breakthroughs) and mushed them all into something that had too little exposition on any one of them. It had notes of brilliance but just fell flat. Maybe I'll think more on this tomorrow, but I definitely think that 1's atmosphere and story were better.

Let me be clear that I thought it was a great game; but I really think they left a lot of untold story that would have really made it a better game. I will really be angry if those untold stories are explained in DLC.
They story feels like the writing staff completely turned over about halfway through the process and when the new writing staff came on the said "fuck it," and started writing their version of the story without changing anything that had already been written.
I would like the DLC to delve deeper into the parts of the story that weren't very clear, such as:

How they created vigors just by observing Rapture? Plasmids only worked because of the work Rapture scientists did with the slugs and we have no slugs in BI.

Why do the residents worship the founding fathers, how did that practice begin, and to what end?

Who is in the bird-daddy and why?

What are the consequences for the current universe when Booker jumps to a new one?
DLC announced today and guess where 2 of the 3 take place?

This is disappointing to me because the interview makes it sound like Levine really wants to focus on the story of Elizabeth and the biggest letdown in BS:I for me was the lack of exposition around Columbia explaining the circumstances surrounding Elizabeth and Booker. Shit, I'm still going to play it because I think Rapture is the single best environment that has ever been created in a game but it is disappointing that we won't be learning anything about Columbia and its denizens for at least the first two DLCs.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I wrote why I loved the start and the game but hated the story in this thread somewhere. I'm going to see if I can dig it up because there was so much wasted potential.

Edit: Found it by not being lazy. I still stand by all of it. Fucking waste of a great game.
The problem I see, as a non-game designer, is that the stronger they try to build an interactive world with a singular narrative trail, the taller the walls they must construct around the player to guide and control those interactions because they cannot yet create an AI to come up with responses to player inputs that would put them back, gently, onto the original narrative path if they gave us as much freedom of action as we would like.

But what do I know.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Infinite and Burial at sea were fantastic

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Infinite and Burial at sea were fantastic

Never played BaS DLC but the atmosphere of Infinite was amazing, the ending was a bit...odd. Still to this day I feel it was odd.

I don't consider ret-conning lore to be "Quality storytelling". They wanted to sell DLC so they banked on 2 things they knew would garner sales, Elizabeth and Bioshock 1...then they contrived a reason to connect the 2 points.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Infinite was far too linear, but they created an interesting world and narrative. Shit gameplay though.

Gameplay was really never the series highlight. Hell in the first one the most broken build was freeze wrench melee. Never needed to pick up a gun or progress weapons at all. I enjoyed Infinite for what it was, but the Minervah's den dlc for Bioshock 2 is by far the best storytelling in the series.