Bioshock Infinite

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bought and finished the Burial at Sea and thought it was great. Not $15 great standalone great, but I bought the season pass so meh. The removal of the stupid 2 gun system alone made the combat much more enjoyable, in addition to the tighter spaces. I also used plasmids/vigors much more this time around due to limited ammo. And since it was more corridor-y, traps worked a lot better, and having water lying around to shock people brought back the memories of BS1.

But to the ending...
I don't get the getting killed at the end part. What was the point of this whole adventure if she was going to kill you anyways? Just so you get a big reveal and then, oh by the way now that you remember, let me kill you? Was Elizabeth just fucking with you the whole time?

Breakarms_sl

shitlord
Bioshock 1 gameplay/story/lore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bioschok Infinite gameplay/story/lore. I was so excited about Infinite that when I realized I didn't like it I took some time off and played it again to make sure I wasn't just setting my expectations way too high. I was not, and it is garbage.

Edit:

"Would you kindly" reveal may be my favorite part of any video game/movie in the last ten years. Now we can't ever be bros.
Bioshock 1 had soul.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Just finished it. Honestly took me some willpower just to do that, I lost interest about 1/3rd of the way through.

Another couple of things that make this a vastly inferior game than the first: As is typical with bigger budget type AAA shit, they went BIG AND EPIC with it, fucking Michael Bay style. Way too much "ooooh look at this! look at what we can do!" type stuff, really turns me off. And as indirectly mentioned a couple of posts above, the environments are too big in some cases, while still managing to stay quite linear and prison-like. Also, in-game "cutscenes" where I lose control of my character can GO FUCK THEMSELVES. Awhile back, the tech to allow this became prevalent, and with it, an industry shift toward it as if it's always the best way to do things. I have two types of "cutscenes" or exposition that I enjoy. Either leave me full control of my character and have some dickheads talking to me/each other, or just cut to an actual cutscene if it's that important. But there's definitely something about this new way of doing things that I absolutely detest. And lastly, that fucking woman following me around for the entire game was just... obnoxious. The fact that it allowed them to inject even more hand-holding into the game just made it worse. "BOOKER OMG A SNIPER/VOLLEY GUY!", "BOOKER HERE'S SOME _____ YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF!"

FUCK.

Oh, and the ending was gay. Entirely too much rinse-repeat before you were finally allowed to turn the fucking game off.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
But to the ending...
I don't get the getting killed at the end part. What was the point of this whole adventure if she was going to kill you anyways? Just so you get a big reveal and then, oh by the way now that you remember, let me kill you? Was Elizabeth just fucking with you the whole time?
This is part 1 of 2

The "people" Elizabeth is with at the end is the hint I think to what is going on, but we can only speculate.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished it. Honestly took me some willpower just to do that, I lost interest about 1/3rd of the way through.

Another couple of things that make this a vastly inferior game than the first: As is typical with bigger budget type AAA shit, they went BIG AND EPIC with it, fucking Michael Bay style. Way too much "ooooh look at this! look at what we can do!" type stuff, really turns me off. And as indirectly mentioned a couple of posts above, the environments are too big in some cases, while still managing to stay quite linear and prison-like. Also, in-game "cutscenes" where I lose control of my character can GO FUCK THEMSELVES. Awhile back, the tech to allow this became prevalent, and with it, an industry shift toward it as if it's always the best way to do things. I have two types of "cutscenes" or exposition that I enjoy. Either leave me full control of my character and have some dickheads talking to me/each other, or just cut to an actual cutscene if it's that important. But there's definitely something about this new way of doing things that I absolutely detest. And lastly, that fucking woman following me around for the entire game was just... obnoxious. The fact that it allowed them to inject even more hand-holding into the game just made it worse. "BOOKER OMG A SNIPER/VOLLEY GUY!", "BOOKER HERE'S SOME _____ YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF!"

FUCK.

Oh, and the ending was gay. Entirely too much rinse-repeat before you were finally allowed to turn the fucking game off.
So there's just certain features of games you hate that this happened to have, so it's a worse game, for you, sure. I enjoy well-done in game cutscenes, which is what I felt Infinites were. I liked Elizabeths interactions throughout the game, the "here's X" got repetitive by the end but still wasn't bad. I also enjoyed the big, epic scenery.

Again, it's not an inherently worse game just because it'sa different type of game. Bioshock 1 had a shitton of features I hated but I don't think it's a terrible game, it's just not MY kind of game. I forced myself to play through that game only because of the recommendations people gave it and wanting to see the story play out. I still recommended that other people try it because I KNOW that some people enjoy that kind of gameplay. You are seriously hating just to hate. Bioshock 1 was only very, very slightly less linear than Infinite, and the non-linearness was the same as in Infinite: look at other rooms to find other items/loot or find a way to sneak up on enemies. Nothing different there. Just less of it.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Just finished Infinite earlier today. I'm a sucker for time-travel/alternate universe stuff, so I genuinely enjoyed the story.

Like others have said, though, the gameplay was mediocre at best. I barely used the powers. Pretty much stuck to Possession, Crows, and Bronco-whatever. Since you can only carry two weapons, my choices devolved into shotgun/sniper-rifle. Didn't use the others to any degree.

The game wasn't particularly difficult either. I played it on "Normal" mode, but it wasn't a challenge at all. I also found the amount of searchable crates, trashcans, etc. excessive. What's the purpose of the supply-vendor machines if you can simply find all that shit in containers strewneverywhere? Not to mention Elizabeth will simply throw shit at you if you do happen to run low.

Also disappointed that, unlike the original Bioshocks, there weren't any player-choices which resulted in alternate endings (unless I missed something somehow).

7.5/10

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i am guessing they went through multiple revision and had to patch together other versions of story (aka post-dress change) with the finalized script.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Just finished Infinite earlier today. I'm a sucker for time-travel/alternate universe stuff, so I genuinely enjoyed the story.

Like others have said, though, the gameplay was mediocre at best. I barely used the powers. Pretty much stuck to Possession, Crows, and Bronco-whatever. Since you can only carry two weapons, my choices devolved into shotgun/sniper-rifle. Didn't use the others to any degree.

The game wasn't particularly difficult either. I played it on "Normal" mode, but it wasn't a challenge at all. I also found the amount of searchable crates, trashcans, etc. excessive. What's the purpose of the supply-vendor machines if you can simply find all that shit in containers strewneverywhere? Not to mention Elizabeth will simply throw shit at you if you do happen to run low.

Also disappointed that, unlike the original Bioshocks, there weren't any player-choices which resulted in alternate endings (unless I missed something somehow).

7.5/10
"Normal" is the Easy of the 90's and 00's. Todays easy is actually "I just want to see the story". You need to play on hard for any kind of difficulty and 1999 mode for a real challenge. Resources are much scarcer in both Hard and 1999 and on 1999 you will get one/two shot until you get your shield and health fully upgraded. I beat hard with only two or three deaths on release day. Started 1999 mode right after and it took me easily three times as long over a few days. The ghost is a dirty fucking piece of shit on 1999 mode.

The game isn't perfect but I don't see how anyone can disagree withBioShock Infinite REVIEW! Adam Sessler Reviews - YouTube.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

7.5/10
A suggestion: For story-based games, never play on normal the first playthrough. The reason is, normal (these days) is tailored for the casual gamer. It minimizes frustration, sprinkles shinies so that a player is never more than 10-15 seconds from something to pick up, and the enemies are often dumber and always weaker. In a game like Bioshock, you're not going to have much of a reason to go back and play it through on a harder difficulty immediately after beating it on normal.

On 1999 mode (Easy > Normal > Hard > 1999 mode) there were moments in the game where I absolutely had to search those trashcans and nooks and crannies for health and ammo. I never once thought to myself, "There's an inordinate amount of shit they want me to search through this level." It was more like: "Thank god, a room I haven't been to yet that isn't full of enemies. I wonder if there's some health in here?"

But if you play it on normal, and you've played a FPS before/are decent at gaming, you're cheating yourself out of the whole experience. The reason they offer different difficulty levels is so people can play how as casually as they want. You want a hardcore experience, but played on a softcore setting...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I started my first playthrough on 1999. That lasted about 3 hours before I started over on Hard. Brutal difficulty and terrible gameplay mechanics do not mix.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I cheated to unlock a gated difficulty level then pussed out like a pathetic little bitch because it was too hard due to my lack of experience with layout and mechanics/I'm a liar who isn't aware 1999 doesn't unlock until you beat the game but felt like stroking my e-peen while also jumping on a bandwagon hating a game I probably didn't play.
ftfy

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1999 mode was the only mode to play it on. What are people taking about shitty mechanics. It's a fps. You point and click. They did it very 90s like which I enjoyed.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
All you had to do was the konami code at the main menu to unlock 1999 without having to beat it...

You should probably feel awkward, but I know you won't =/
"cheated". Get fucked and learn to read. If your going to get pissy and quit because it's too hard or frustrating then maybe you're too much of a bitch to cheat your way into a locked difficulty.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
"cheated". Get fucked and learn to read. If your going to get pissy and quit because it's too hard or frustrating then maybe you're too much of a bitch to cheat your way into a locked difficulty.
I'm sorry your mother didn't love you enough as a child.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Bioshock was absolutely awesome, though my personal criticisms were: it would've been even better with more combat variety, more enemy types as it progressed and more environments (how great would it have been to, instead of entering a load screen, travel in a bathysphere from B to C yourself-- whales and shit getting in your way).

Same thing with Bioshock Infinite. The interactive movie aspect was great, but more 'game' and 'story' mixed together could have equaled ZOMG.

I think video games are getting better. Forget about graphics (which is obvious). Games are generally becoming interactive stories. Itwouldbe nice to have new games with the same level of visual quality that are pure games too. You're a dude in some place fighting some monsters, and it's all very challenging. You have no idea who you are or why you're fighting because it's not a narrative.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2161667-zFrTB.jpg

This happened now to Irrational games.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Preview for Burial at Sea 2. Looks like it will come full circle to Bioshock 1 at the end. They're also adding a "1998" mode in which you can only use non-lethal methods to get through the game ala Thief from '98.