Bioware's "Anthem"

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Fair consensus is that it's not great but it's not terrible. Gun play, environments, sounds, voice over work, facial/character animations, etc. are all fine. PC flight controls need work to which Mark Darrah (Exec. Producer) stated they will be slightly less nuanced at release but who knows what that really means. Really need more play time closer to release to get a better feel for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looks like a game that was designed in conference room. A bunch of different systems from other games just stitched together with a very non-specific art style.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Amazing how streamers manage to get in and continue playing these things... Clearly EA has some sort of priority flagging scheme.whereby some users get routed to dedicated separate servers.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Any VIP keys? Last night it said I had access, not sure how. Tried to launch today says I don't have access.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It looks like a game that was designed in conference room. A bunch of different systems from other games just stitched together with a very non-specific art style.

About to try to play I guess. But this is exactly what it is. Development hell, a couple start/stops and then all hands on deck from multiple divisions across the world all hamfisting in whatever they can to patchwork something together to ship. I cannot shake the feeling this thing was scrapped for the upteenth time a year and a half ago (If that) and switched together across poorly communicated teams en masse to get something out the door based on direction from EA.

But I'll know for sure in a minute (If I can get in thanks spronk spronk for the code). I have a feeling from everythign I have watched so far it will be a soul-less uninspired shooter with mediocre mechanics and limited half effort content tossed in at a frantic pace throwing off the entire game. (Which, honestly, shouldn't surprise anyone) Which begs the question since they were all so busy just trying to get shit in the game to ship it, anything else which needs attention, mainly loot tables and balance, is completely fucked for the first couple of months while they finish development of that piece.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any VIP keys? Last night it said I had access, not sure how. Tried to launch today says I don't have access.

I've got the 4.99 monthly sub and wasn't able to get in, it said I didn't have access. I contacted EA online chat and good ol' boy Deepak took just a few minutes to get me in. He really empathized with my situation, saying (and I quote) "Demo loading issue really kills excitement of game play. Do not worry I will fix it for you." And fix it he did! If that was the issue, maybe contact EA and one of their friendly dot-not-feather Indians will help you.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
He is here for you, my brothers.

1548458381058.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've got the 4.99 monthly sub and wasn't able to get in, it said I didn't have access. I contacted EA online chat and good ol' boy Deepak took just a few minutes to get me in. He really empathized with my situation, saying (and I quote) "Demo loading issue really kills excitement of game play. Do not worry I will fix it for you." And fix it he did! If that was the issue, maybe contact EA and one of their friendly dot-not-feather Indians will help you.

lol, I don't have any origin monthly access stuff. It just said I had access and allowed me to download. When I launch it says I do not.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
PSA

Don’t buy this piece of shit. It takes all of the shitty Destiny stuff with almost none of the great gunplay. Something about this game just feels off, floaty, untethered etc... hard to describe but it doesn’t feel great to play.

Parts are very pretty though

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played for about 2 hours on the PS4.

I’m not a fan of being dropped in middle of the game at level 10. I guess it works better to show more stuff but I always find it annoying at first because you miss the progression that introduce you to gameplay mechanics slowly.

That said controls feel pretty good on a controller. Flying is fun, shooting is ok not as good as Destiny 2 but it’s ok.

While the guns aren’t that impressive so far, the abilities you start with are kinda cool. The ultimate is pretty fun.

I played the first mission and that was fun, little puzzle to solve.

Did some freeplay, again flying around is fun there seems to be a decent amount of things happening on the map. I’m not sure if it’s lag or bugs but a few mobs just disappeared for no reason. AI, lag or bug but some mobs including and event boss just stood there doing nothing while I killed it.

All in all I’m liking it so far. It hold some promise. I’ll play some more, I’d like to unlock the Storm Javelin but I don’t plan on spending tons of time on demo. Prefer waiting for the full game to grind stuff. :)

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So I went through and clicked the Eula shit. Went through settings. And now I’m here at this screen without any indication it’s doing a damn thing. Is there a queue? Am I even doing anything? Is there a transparent loading bar? Did my account accept the code right? Who knows. Tune in later for an update on the next episode of “BioWare. The final gasps of incompetency”.

CA6147E9-AEE5-4184-BA93-0EB348437123.jpeg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
PSA

Don’t buy this piece of shit. It takes all of the shitty Destiny stuff with almost none of the great gunplay. Something about this game just feels off, floaty, untethered etc... hard to describe but it doesn’t feel great to play.

Parts are very pretty though

I was going to say it looks like they boxed up all the worst parts of destiny and the division and put a bow on it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so i got to play a bit after all the log in nonsense seems to have gotten a bit more stable...

it's entirely worth it for the EA sub for a couple months at least. destiny does gunplay better, but loot seems more nuanced (so far at least, that may change once you get to endgame). movement seems fine, flight does take a minute to get used to but it's not as bad on a k/m as i was expecting.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah same thing happens in mission loads, it just loads a progress bar and will keep it loading for an hour if you let it but really the servers are fucked and you aren't doing anything. its just another shitty MMO launch kinda scenario, which makes it super hard to judge if the game is good since you get 5 mins of fun and then get stuck with shitty loading screens you have to alt-f4 out of.

pros: your PC is fully voice acted, no more "silent protaganist" shit, world seems pretty enough, lot of loot/combat stuff to mess around with
cons: nothing really makes you go "FUUUUUUUCK YEAH", demo in the middle of the campaign story makes it feel detached and weird, the skin stuff is weird (loadouts in a mission menu)

end of the day my gut feeling is this will be an ok 20-30 hour SP game and nothing really beyond that, definitely won't have any legs like some people want in an FPS MMO

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I went through and clicked the Eula shit. Went through settings. And now I’m here at this screen without any indication it’s doing a damn thing. Is there a queue? Am I even doing anything? Is there a transparent loading bar? Did my account accept the code right? Who knows. Tune in later for an update on the next episode of “BioWare. The final gasps of incompetency”.

View attachment 191297

there's no indication, but if you're sitting at the same screen for longer than seems appropriate, just alt-f4 and relog. sometimes you get stuck at the "contacting origin servers" or whatever... EVERYTIME i've gotten on, it was right away. i've sat and waited at several loading screens and nothing happens.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok thanks all. On Xbox One but I suppose I can try other platforms. VIP code is for all platforms correct?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been playing it for a couple of hours now and I really like it. I don't have a lot of time invested in Destiny 1/2, but Anthem feels like a similar/better version of that game. Also, I don't completely agree with the common assessment of the controls while using M/KB. The flying could be a little more tight, but the only true control complaint is when you're underwater; that shit is cancer. I always turn the sensitivity way, way down in every game I play as a result of playing so many FPS games and that might have made it a lot more manageable.

Last edited: