Bioware's "Anthem"

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You know your game is a real winner when you have to alt-f4 because you get stuck at various screens. Got up after a contract to let the dogs out, came back to it finishing tallying up xp and then..nothing. sat there for 2+mins. Also i've noticed that when I start a mission its been putting me into the middle of someone elses mission instead of starting one fresh, this isn't using quickplay either.

During the trial I was telling my buddies on discord that Alt-F4 was the best feature in the game.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The ONLY reason I'm considering buying this for PS4 despite all the bugs and complaints is because it's a looter-shooter with Diablo style loot.

I want to wait 6 months for patches and a sale, but it sucks being late to the game with this type of thing.

What's your PC like or do you have an Xbox One? You could always just sub for a trial, or a month of the game for 5/14 respectively. Looks like most are already hitting high end within the first week so I would guess you would exhaust yourself of the game within a couple weeks at best - for $14 on premiere. Cancel the sub and get the game for cheap.

I do not see this selling well either. So if you could hold off I bet this comes down to 29 or bundled with BF5 for that price within a month.

I am going to play through more of the trial a bit tonight for shits and giggles unless rocket league night takes over like it usually does. (I really need to finish KH3 as well) but there are plenty of options to just play now as long as your PC is up to snuff.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
In the same boat, I can't justify supporting a shitty release of a game but also any friends who are basically tunnel vision on this game are going to be leagues ahead and i'll be stuck playing catch up if I don't. Blah

I wouldn't worry about that. Good bet your friends burn out in two weeks. You'd be able to catch up in a day or two of hard core playing if you want. On the flip side, playing with friends in a static group in ANY game makes it fun. I could play Coop Pong and it would be fun with drunk gaming buddies. Or you could always rent it.

Or quite honestly you could just have them read all these.

Anthem

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
As in Diablo Greater Rifts? Higher and higher challenge, but rewarded with more loot?

Yeah, true, but also I think Anthem does not know where it wants to be combat wise. It seems like they just want you to mow shit down, big explosions, ults, combos, etc, (LIKe D3) but yet you still find yourself hiding behind rocks because of that one shot mechanic bullshit they have in the game, any sniper or boss attack essentially puts you into one shot territory, they also have too much HP. Like that spider tank in that one stronghold, there is no way anyone just goes and kills him, you fucking hide behind rocks and take pot shots and wait for your ult.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is loot progression based solely on levels? I hit level 10 last night. Should I start seeing legendaries or epics or whatever while progressing through story missions or is mostly when I am finished?

Yes, it's level based, but you can get Masterwork before you're max level. Or could. I have no idea if the patch yesterday changed that. Personally, my first masterwork didn't come until I hit 30.

Loot is: White/Common, Green/Uncommon, Blue/Rare, Purple/Epic, Orange/Masterwork, Yellow/Legendary.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The ONLY reason I'm considering buying this for PS4 despite all the bugs and complaints is because it's a looter-shooter with Diablo style loot.

I want to wait 6 months for patches and a sale, but it sucks being late to the game with this type of thing.

Wait a month and play Division 2 with me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, true, but also I think Anthem does not know where it wants to be combat wise. It seems like they just want you to mow shit down, big explosions, ults, combos, etc, (LIKe D3) but yet you still find yourself hiding behind rocks because of that one shot mechanic bullshit they have in the game, any sniper or boss attack essentially puts you into one shot territory, they also have too much HP. Like that spider tank in that one stronghold, there is no way anyone just goes and kills him, you fucking hide behind rocks and take pot shots and wait for your ult.

95% of my play is on GM1 and the other 5% I tinker with GM2. I find that everything but bosses just melt for groups that actually know what they're doing. Players don't necessarily have to be super well geared, but actually using their brains by flanking the shield guys and exploiting weak points goes a long way to separate competent players from the retards that stand in front of those big-ass shield dudes and repeatedly dump full mags.

I'm ok with bosses taking some time to kill. If they just fell over it'd be incredibly unfulfilling.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm ok with bosses taking some time to kill. If they just fell over it'd be incredibly unfulfilling.

thanks captain obvious.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so here's my take on the meta of all of this. it's getting review bombed, it's ALMOST to the point where people are just trying to scream the loudest on how terrible it is so they get the most views/likes. i say ALMOST because some of the complaints are extremely warranted.

that being said, people are still playing it. it'll sell well enough. not great, but not terribly. and it'll just continue to trudge along. the people who continue to play it will enjoy it and the people who don't will continue to bash it. destiny was similar at release in terms of reviews. activision had a lot to do with destiny and destiny 2 having weird release problems (parts of the game being gutted for expansions, story and lore being taken out of the main game and put on the website, etc). slightly off topic but i'm interested to see how bungie handles being a separate entity at this point.

there's some clear EA directives going on with anthem, but i also think the devs are going out of their way to be transparent, so we'll see where that goes. but yeah, it's not going to break any records and there's going to be some obvious obfuscation with sales and origin access but it is what it is. that's an industry standard at this point.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yes, it's level based, but you can get Masterwork before you're max level. Or could. I have no idea if the patch yesterday changed that. Personally, my first masterwork didn't come until I hit 30.

Loot is: White/Common, Green/Uncommon, Blue/Rare, Purple/Epic, Orange/Masterwork, Yellow/Legendary.

Cool thanks.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cool thanks.

Get the story done and hit lv 30, it takes about 15-20 hours depending on how fast you do it. Then when 30, on hard mode, run the strongholds for a while until you get a few masterwork weapons. I think the loot pool for hardmode is 6 masterwork weapons, plus equip yourself with all legendary lv36 stuff. Then when you have your weapons youre ready to go GM1.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
you should get whatever game is going to make you the most irritated and insufferable and then post about it at length

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What's your PC like or do you have an Xbox One? You could always just sub for a trial, or a month of the game for 5/14 respectively. Looks like most are already hitting high end within the first week so I would guess you would exhaust yourself of the game within a couple weeks at best - for $14 on premiere. Cancel the sub and get the game for cheap.

I do not see this selling well either. So if you could hold off I bet this comes down to 29 or bundled with BF5 for that price within a month.

I am going to play through more of the trial a bit tonight for shits and giggles unless rocket league night takes over like it usually does. (I really need to finish KH3 as well) but there are plenty of options to just play now as long as your PC is up to snuff.

I have a Surface Pro that fucking sucks for gaming. I just don't enjoy gaming on PC anymore unless it's an RTS. Also, I'm not giving them a fucking cent towards BF5. The launch of Anthem looks laughable, but at least it's a new IP. The BF franchise is near & dear to me and my vagina is extra sandy about BF5.

Wait a month and play Division 2 with me.
I'll be annoying to do multiplayer/co-op with unless I move the Playstation. I only game after the girls go to sleep, and the PS4 is too close to them for me to use a mic. They're almost cheap enough now to get a second one for the man cave, but the 4k TV is in the living room. #firstworldproblems

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

But the fulfilling part is making sure you don't shoot a shield bullet sponging every single boss without any fun mechanics what so ever in said boss fight?

That's like saying Aten Ha Ra was a fulfilling boss fight in Luclin.

mkopec mkopec Being you are at this stage of the game, are there ANY boss encounters that have any creativity to them besides bullet sponge mechanics?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ulthrocks, If im remebering the name ,in the wild are pretty fun to fight. They are pretty fast and thow boulders at your ass. Tanky as fuck too. sometimes in GM1 contracts they have you kill 2 of them together, gets pretty hairy.

I saw 2 of the 3 stronghold bosses and they have some mechanics but nothing to write home about, same as any Destiny bosses TBH. more sponge than mechanics.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any build or specific javelin? And do you need to group to get to that point or can you get everything you need through solo progression?
Any Javelin can do that, some easier than others (Storm / Colo), you just need to take advantage of the combo system. When find the skill set that feels good to play, try focus on getting perks that buff those ability types. You can solo your way through the Story and then Freeplay / Contracts if you want too and easily get full epic gear, with some MW mixed in. Get your Factions up to level 3 so you unlock the ability to craft epic quality gear / components (to roll for better perks).

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is loot progression based solely on levels? I hit level 10 last night. Should I start seeing legendaries or epics or whatever while progressing through story missions or is mostly when I am finished?
You can get MW items before lvl30 (I got my first at 26), but they won't be max ilevel, so don't stress much about it. Once you're lvl30 I'd suggest farming the hell out of a stronghold on Easy until you get 2 of the Avenging Herald pistol, their special perk stacks, so you'll be doing +400% dmg. Doing that will also get you all the epic gear you want. Make sure to level up the Factions to open up epic gear/component crafting so you can try to specific perks. Get your luck up to, but not over 100% while farming a stronghold. Always do the daily Legendary Contracts, even on Hard they have a high chance at MW.

Edit: Avenging Herald bonus dmg stacking was nerfed.

Last edited: