Bioware's "Anthem"

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But the fulfilling part is making sure you don't shoot a shield bullet sponging every single boss without any fun mechanics what so ever in said boss fight?

That's like saying Aten Ha Ra was a fulfilling boss fight in Luclin.

mkopec mkopec Being you are at this stage of the game, are there ANY boss encounters that have any creativity to them besides bullet sponge mechanics?
Heart of Rage boss is the most interesting encounter in that the boss does a lot you need to watch out for, the other two are pretty lame (at all difficulty levels). If they could spice up the encounters as you increase the difficulty it would go a long way towards making the strongholds feel less bland.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Fully expected Polygon to be sucking some Bioware dick on this review but even they couldn't enjoy the game.

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I figured Karak would give it a rent/deep sale rating because of Origin Premier, but nope.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Curious here, but to those who have played Anthem to lvl30 and started the grind, if you find the missions to be boring, or not diverse enough, what type of missions would you want to repeat over and over? I'm not talking about Strongholds, or even the main Story missions, but stuff like the Contracts and World Events. What more variety would you want in those (knowing you would be doing them a lot)?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Curious here, but to those who have played Anthem to lvl30 and started the grind, if you find the missions to be boring, or not diverse enough, what type of missions would you want to repeat over and over? I'm not talking about Strongholds, or even the main Story missions, but stuff like the Contracts and World Events. What more variety would you want in those (knowing you would be doing them a lot)?

The D2 end game is well done "now" but its had time to be fleshed out - However i cant imagine doing just 3 strongholds in a loop - Only heart of rage has the appeal but bleh - atm the game has too many bugs still - i did 2 missions earlier that the end just never happened and we stood around circle jerking. The open world is drab and lifeless due to having 4 ppl in free play who are NEVER together.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The D2 end game is well done "now" but its had time to be fleshed out - However i cant imagine doing just 3 strongholds in a loop - Only heart of rage has the appeal but bleh - atm the game has too many bugs still - i did 2 missions earlier that the end just never happened and we stood around circle jerking. The open world is drab and lifeless due to having 4 ppl in free play who are NEVER together.
Ok, but the missions in D2 are no different than what you see in Anthem; its all kill this or fetch that, with some jumping puzzles (which are nice), get X type of kills, get X kills with X weapon, etc. Yep, strongholds are anemic, but the Freeplay zone is pretty nice, but as you say, its really dull with only 4 random people. If you're roaming around in a group, its a lot better. I dunno, I just can't see how the missions in Anthem are something people can honestly fault the game for.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are likely faulting them because it's Bioware, and you would think that w/ the 'A-team' on this, that the missions would have some substance to them. When the missions are just as drab if not moreso than Destiny's, it's hard to defend it. Not only that but they had 3+ years to look at how Destiny shit the bed *numerous* times and was a learning example w/ out having to pay the school dues themselves. I think everybody is simply tired of these looter shooters releasing with tons of potential but never meeting that mark (or close to) out of the gate.

• 1Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
FoH_Epicsmooth if people want to group up whenever I decide to play it (giving it a shot because of monthly)

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ok, but the missions in D2 are no different than what you see in Anthem; its all kill this or fetch that, with some jumping puzzles (which are nice), get X type of kills, get X kills with X weapon, etc. Yep, strongholds are anemic, but the Freeplay zone is pretty nice, but as you say, its really dull with only 4 random people. If you're roaming around in a group, its a lot better. I dunno, I just can't see how the missions in Anthem are something people can honestly fault the game for.

Well freeplay fails mainly because it is only 4 ppl in the ENTIRE map which is HUGE. However like someone else said, they had years to see what Destiny was doing and improve or evolve upon, of which they did not. You zone just to zone again just to zone again.

Oh you found a hidden area? ZONE!

Finished your quest? Nope no update for you!

Oh you picked up some nice items there! Crash!

Your group too stupid to stop dying? Oh well we hope they have mics so you can explain things because text chat on pc aint here atm!

I mean you could honestly come up with alot of negs for this game just off basic functionality not even thinking about rinse repeat endgame or story or any other number of things. I am just curious how it came into early access and as of 36 mins ago full access with so many issues. I noticed the load times are a bit improved but you can still finish a mission and it never actually update and you sit and spin. Tarsis is just dumbly designed, empty and servers no point other than to have you slowly slog around to waste time.

There is a good game in there so, its just stuck under a bunch of bad choices and design issues.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So wait, got my first legendary gun last night.... and its.... the same gun as my old ilvl 44 masterwork gun? Not even a unique skin? It's literally the exact same gun except 3 ilvls higher with different traits. I thought every legendary was like a Destiny Exotic with unique skins etc.... wtf??? This goes back to my earlier point that the ONLY way to customize your javelin and aesthetic loadout is through a coloring book javelin painting system, that while very well done and fleshed out, leaves each javelin looking almost identical in construction (how can they be unique, to my knowledge there are only 3 armor "sets" per class in the game). How can the team that provided the paint system, be attached to the same game that designed the armor, unique gun models (or utter lack thereof)/legendary system? Makes no fucking sense.

Man, so excite. Much hype. What are they smoking over at Bioware. Running contracts is okay, GM1 Strongholds are also a good step up in challenge (I'm only ilvl 443 so GM2 is still a little out of reach), but I can't see why anyone would play this for more than a week or two at best after they hit 30. Repetitive, and the "loot chase" isn't exciting at all after I discovered that chasing legendary's is a complete waste of time. There isn't even a decent "Xur" mechanic like in Destiny 1, but why would there be - the legendary's aren't unique in either look nor ability.

There has to be a story of development on this game going on hiatus for like 18 months, because I genuinely can't comprehend how they spent 6+ years working on this, most of those years with a full team (or 2!) of developers, artists, game designers and engineers. Like, if I'm EA I'm asking for receipts and wondering why we paid salaries for work that very clearly wasn't being done. If this is the game that kills Bioware, good fucking riddance. Give Respawn the money and time going forward and bring over the few very talented people still at Bioware (the guy behind the paint system, the guy who designed the weight and feel of the mechs, the guy who designed the combo system, that's it, fire everybody else) and give them time to create a new IP. They shit out Apex in >2 years and it's more polished and compelling than anything in Anthem (I can't stand BR games though so GG).

All in all, I think this title absolutely deserves the 6/10 scores it's universally receiving from the gaming community and hope it fucking tanks today. I got my time out of it, and enjoyed a lot of it - but the narrow design, and a plethora of other major design issues (don't even get me started on the shitty technical issues) leave me feeling jipped.... and I only paid $15!!

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anthem scored lower than FO76

Screenshot_20190222-064936_Chrome.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, I scored a legendary sniper last night and its trait is it freezes enemies with 5 quick shots(its a full auto quick shooting one) and that thing is OP as fuck.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So wait, got my first legendary gun last night.... and its.... the same gun as my old ilvl 44 masterwork gun? Not even a unique skin? It's literally the exact same gun except 3 ilvls higher with different traits. I thought every legendary was like a Destiny Exotic with unique skins etc.... wtf??? This goes back to my earlier point that the ONLY way to customize your javelin and aesthetic loadout is through a coloring book javelin painting system, that while very well done and fleshed out, leaves each javelin looking almost identical in construction (how can they be unique, to my knowledge there are only 3 armor "sets" per class in the game). How can the team that provided the paint system, be attached to the same game that designed the armor, unique gun models (or utter lack thereof)/legendary system? Makes no fucking sense.

Man, so excite. Much hype. What are they smoking over at Bioware. Running contracts is okay, GM1 Strongholds are also a good step up in challenge (I'm only ilvl 443 so GM2 is still a little out of reach), but I can't see why anyone would play this for more than a week or two at best after they hit 30. Repetitive, and the "loot chase" isn't exciting at all after I discovered that chasing legendary's is a complete waste of time. There isn't even a decent "Xur" mechanic like in Destiny 1, but why would there be - the legendary's aren't unique in either look nor ability.

There has to be a story of development on this game going on hiatus for like 18 months, because I genuinely can't comprehend how they spent 6+ years working on this, most of those years with a full team (or 2!) of developers, artists, game designers and engineers. Like, if I'm EA I'm asking for receipts and wondering why we paid salaries for work that very clearly wasn't being done. If this is the game that kills Bioware, good fucking riddance. Give Respawn the money and time going forward and bring over the few very talented people still at Bioware (the guy behind the paint system, the guy who designed the weight and feel of the mechs, the guy who designed the combo system, that's it, fire everybody else) and give them time to create a new IP. They shit out Apex in >2 years and it's more polished and compelling than anything in Anthem (I can't stand BR games though so GG).

All in all, I think this title absolutely deserves the 6/10 scores it's universally receiving from the gaming community and hope it fucking tanks today. I got my time out of it, and enjoyed a lot of it - but the narrow design, and a plethora of other major design issues (don't even get me started on the shitty technical issues) leave me feeling jipped.... and I only paid $15!!

Yep. And I never even knew they flaked out on the legendary guns.

I am about 4 hours in on the trial. I have done my first Stronghold (Level 7-8 one lol). Jesus Christ the loading screens. There is seriously a loading screen to enter a cave. There is a loading screen to enter the forge. There is a loading screen to exit the forge. There is a loading screen to EXIT THE DAMN GAME! They already broke HDR on Xbox One X with the Day One Patch.

Gun play is fine (Standard) and feels good as it should because this has been perfected since 1998 so it better. (I am so tired of hearing "OH THE GUN PLAY FEELS FANTASTIC". That's like me saying "OH MAN HEAT IN MY HOUSE IN THE WINTER IS WORKING SO GREAT!".

Graphically downgraded by far. Completely mislead and false advertised with seamless world (non loading) for the last two years. I won't get into the story because I just skip all of it and I do not care about it anyway. Last night while playing through old friends that forced cut scene was AGONIZING. It went on forever. I went to take a piss, ate a cliff bar, played fetch with the dog, came back and it's still going. And usually I would watch it but guess what? The sounds for the game world were going on OVER the cut scene. I heard my own gun if I pulled the trigger, I heard my reload, I threw a grenade and heard it go off, and I heard people outside warring it up or something. I couldn't hear a thing. That is just flat out COMICAL.

To hear that the legendary weapons on top of that aren't even crafted differently from an art design perspective isn't shocking considering everything else they got wrong with this piece of shit. I want to log in for a few more hours this weekend just to say I was playing a game that destroyed the end of an era with what was once a good, solid, must buy development company. I wish I had more of a tracking sheet of where all the talent there went too, I'd go buy their games right now.

This thing is an absolute 100% fucking joke. And if this doesn't blow the ashes of the name Bioware into the wind I don't know what will.

• 2Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Wtf, Anthem scoring lower than FO76 makes no sense even with Anthem's issues.

@ Utnayan Utnayan
At least you got the improved loading screens, before the early day 1 patch they were WAY fucking worse.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Meh, I scored a legendary sniper last night and its trait is it freezes enemies with 5 quick shots(its a full auto quick shooting one) and that thing is OP as fuck.

Oh it's not that they are bad - it's that I can loot that same gun as a MW and be only 2 lvls lower. How is it that exciting or compelling, and why is there even a legendary "tier"? None of the drops feel legendary.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wtf, Anthem scoring lower than FO76 makes no sense even with Anthem's issues.

@ Utnayan Utnayan
At least you got the improved loading screens, before the early day 1 patch they were WAY fucking worse.

I cannot even imagine.

And this loading scenario in and out you simply cannot fix without a complete rework. No matter how fast it gets, there will ALWAYS be a loading screen now.

6 years. 4 Stop Starts. And a game basically patched together by multiple divisions not talking to each other in the slightest in 24 months at best. That is what this reeks of.

• 2Like