Bioware's "Anthem"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but imagine the console load times if they allowed eight players.

1550868992640.png

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are likely faulting them because it's Bioware, and you would think that w/ the 'A-team' on this, that the missions would have some substance to them. When the missions are just as drab if not moreso than Destiny's, it's hard to defend it. Not only that but they had 3+ years to look at how Destiny shit the bed *numerous* times and was a learning example w/ out having to pay the school dues themselves. I think everybody is simply tired of these looter shooters releasing with tons of potential but never meeting that mark (or close to) out of the gate.
I get that, and I think its a very "Oh this will turn it around for BioWare" type sentiment, just take the game as it is and not judge it based on its comparison to previous games made so long ago by a studio with the same name (but obviously lesser ability). When developing a game I am sure its quite hard to stop a path you're doing down just because some other game currently out is getting criticized for something or was doing something different. I find faulting Anthem for not "adjusting" its dev path because of how other games were doing is pretty insane. Best point is how people are getting generally more and more fed up with games feeling unfinished at their release.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
. I find faulting Anthem for not "adjusting" its dev path because of how other games were doing is pretty insane.

But that is exactly what they did. And rather than take the time with a full development cycle down a new path (4 new paths actually over the course of the last 6+ years) they threw bodies all over the place in a decentralized development process and flung out this piece of shit in 16 months.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wtf, Anthem scoring lower than FO76 makes no sense even with Anthem's issues.

@ Utnayan Utnayan
At least you got the improved loading screens, before the early day 1 patch they were WAY fucking worse.
Its just a symptom of the bandwagon effect and another review where the reviewer has a boner for the old BioWare, so they have to express their disappoint in some outrageous way.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Its just a symptom of the bandwagon effect and another review where the reviewer has a boner for the old BioWare, so they have to express their disappoint in some outrageous way.

No, or the popular opinion is that a shit game is a shit game. (Unless I am missing what you are saying)

Going back to one of your earlier posts, the larger issue with unfinished games is exactly why turning a development path around to a new tree is bad. At this point, we are better off seeing developers stick to their guns and release the doc rather than stop start and be forced to jam 90% of the work through a one inch pipe in a developer vacuum of praise. I have zero doubt in my mind that this was the result of EA.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I cannot even imagine.

And this loading scenario in and out you simply cannot fix without a complete rework. No matter how fast it gets, there will ALWAYS be a loading screen now.

6 years. 4 Stop Starts. And a game basically patched together by multiple divisions not talking to each other in the slightest in 24 months at best. That is what this reeks of.
I've had a similar thought about how the game feels like various pieces patched together. The game in Tarsis is in no way similar or as good as the game outside Tarsis.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, or the popular opinion is that a shit game is a shit game.
No, in too many cases the game is judge as a shit game because of how it didn't live up to the reviewers love for the old BioWare (tech issues aside), remove that bias and you find a game which nailed the "looter" aspect and is also a fun "shooter". Technically the game is flawed, everyone here agrees on that, and sadly as you mentioned there are some aspect which can never be fixed with a patch. =/

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They enabled the sprint option which seemed very reasonably speed wise moving through the fort last night.
I have disagree, while the speed increase is noticeable, it is just barely so
Let's run through memory lane.

Character Creator: "Yes" Haha whatever.

Oh Jesus listen to this and then compare it to the game that came out.

"You will have an apartment to live in"

Haha wow.
Yea, a bit sad, there is one mission where after you clear it you are zoned into a Strider bay that has your Javelin and a Forge access, along with a "door" to take you Tarsis. I think they wanted to make Tarsis into something like the "town" in Ashen (if you played that) where it rebuilds as you progress the story/sidequests. They just weren't able to get it finished or they just scrapped it altogether.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In fact, I just did loot that sniper rifle as a MW rofl

In fact, I just looted it as MW - Siege Breaker? Blue Sniper Rifle? Seems pretty good, compared to my LMG though it's damage isn't great.
Siege Breaker is pretty nice, full auto sniper that will proc a freeze on the enemy (and it appears to be small aoe). Pretty good on targets that will love through 3 shots, since you can then detonate them if you have a skill ready.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some mini event going on but hard to find the mobs bc events not marked on map - derp, and no way to let ppl know to come to you - further derp - if only you had more than 4 ppl in this stupid game to play with!
The Freeplay zone feels a lot better when you're actually in a full group. I hope that someday they allow you pick which type of matchmaking you want for Freeplay; "solo open world" or "matchmake into group".

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I know this community has some of the most negative fuckers and hard critics in the gaming world but I always try to see for myself and take it with a grain of salt. With this shit though, I can see you guys have given it an honest shot and this is a shit show. Thanks for saving me the money and time as usual, FoH.

Sincerely,
A depressed once upon a time BioWare fanboi

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I know this community has some of the most negative fuckers and hard critics in the gaming world but I always try to see for myself and take it with a grain of salt. With this shit though, I can see you guys have given it an honest shot and this is a shit show. Thanks for saving me the money and time as usual, FoH.

Sincerely,
A depressed once upon a time BioWare fanboi
Shut up and get in here, fag. I'll not be the only one here that made a drunk purchase, and I'm not power leveling you after you wait 3 weeks to make the same mistake.

giphy (11).gif

• 1Worf

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My salt level is high right now.

I tried to leave Freeplay with 7 masterwork items in my inventory and got disconnected. Obviously, I lost them all.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My salt level is high right now.

I tried to leave Freeplay with 7 masterwork items in my inventory and got disconnected. Obviously, I lost them all.

Man this is the shit i was scared of yesterday when i got stuck after a mission and the shit wouldnt complete till i got disconnected.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm, I got DC'd another 4 times, but when I finally ended the next Freeplay the masterwork items (which was actually 8) and everything else I looted was still there. Apparently, there's some protection in that the Freeplay loot gets cached even when you DC.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I haven't been able to stay connected this afternoon for more than 20min. Sucks.

In other news, prepare for a new round of outrage now that the 90 Day Roadmap is out showing no new Stronghold til April and no Cataclysm til May. People going to salty, lol.

90 Day Roadmap

• 1Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Bandwagon Bandwagon

I had to wait to play to move into my new place w/ good internet anyway so if I get drunk and buy it you still have to powerlevel me 💪🏼