Bioware's "Anthem"

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
No doubt this doesn't take into account the Origin Premier users, because everyone I've played with hasn't actually bought the game....

Freeplay as an experience changes once you get used to how it works. You fly to specific areas, you learn where encounters spark off (near landmarks), clear, loot n scoot. Helps a lot if you have a group on coms splitting up and grouping on spawns. That said, it is as easy as Missions, and the loot now reflects that. Enjoy your Masterworks, hopefully you were level 30. I hope they amp the difficulty to match Strongholds, then the loot that drops could match a stronghold, which would keep Freeplay as relevant content. Though at this point I've gotten most of my Masterworks from random trash mobs, so who knows...

I get more MWs doing freeplay than strongholds on GM1 - I got 5mw's and 1 legendary in 2hrs in freeplay with alot less annoyances or potential restarting of checkpoints.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I have a lot of fun playing the game it's just they make it some damn annoying to play the game. Mowing through gm1 as a storm that uses lighting. Everything just melts except for the big guys with shields.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Anyone else been having rubberbanding issues? I've been playing on Xbox One and occasionally get slammed with rubberbanding from hell. I suspect it might be associated with the instance being run off one person's machine as 'host' rather than dedicated servers but I don't know for certain.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Whomever decided to not make it rain masterwork in GM2/3 in this current state of the game should be instantly fired.

Took me almost 1 hour to beat a GM3 stronghold with some baddies last night and got 1 masterwork. Woooo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Gah, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm really enjoying this game. It seems like Bioware is attacking bugs and gripes like crazy, so I'm hoping that the game is vastly improved quickly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They really need to address the loot issue and quick. so sick of running shit and getting crap rolls and less and less loot to boot from what it was at launch. Last night I got a legendary pistol, the one for Storm with 200% dmg bonus? Yeah, with shit like machine pistol ammo on it. So not only do we have shit drop rates, we also have a broken inscription rolling system that makes masterwork and legendary gear shit 99.999%.

If they dont fix this shit soon, im probably gonna shelve this game. Ther is no reason to play right now, it seems.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
How the hell that even happened just shows how rushed and incomplete this was.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still having tons of fun. :)

I finally ran my first stronghold at level 14 on normal, that was a blast. Really enjoyed it.

I think part of why I'm enjoying it right now, is that personally, I haven't experienced many issues, my friend is constantly getting disconnected though.

Also since I'm just level 14, I haven't experienced the end game issues like loot drop rate, and the stupid rolls...well I get stupid rolls but at this level you're not really after optimal rolls, just upgrades to the stuff you use.

Hopefully some of that stuff is fixed by the time I get there and start to seriously gear up. Probably another 2 weeks or so.

I love that merchant girl and her stories about the pets. Who needs all ten fingers, right? :)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They really need to address the loot issue and quick. so sick of running shit and getting crap rolls and less and less loot to boot from what it was at launch. Last night I got a legendary pistol, the one for Storm with 200% dmg bonus? Yeah, with shit like machine pistol ammo on it. So not only do we have shit drop rates, we also have a broken inscription rolling system that makes masterwork and legendary gear shit 99.999%.

If they dont fix this shit soon, im probably gonna shelve this game. Ther is no reason to play right now, it seems.
They need to fix the useless perk rolls before adjusting loot drops, make what we get more important than giving us even more useless shit. I'm more depressed at how awful my crafting RNG is while trying to make a Harvest set.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What I would like to know is whose bright idea was it to randomize inscriptions. Gee, what could go wrong.... I mean holy shit. Do these folks have the intelligence of a squid? It would have been very easy to just remember to sub-sugment the inscriptions by type of weapon and pool it from there per sub type. I mean what in the ever living fuck. When they blow something this easy to foresee, how the hell does anyone think they have the competence needed for the future?

And actually, if BioWare Austin as involved (Which they were since they had all hands on deck) I find it hilarious they pulled this same stupidity as far back as SWG when they allowed Player Cities to be built on static POI's in the game and allowed Player city admin staff to essentially lock out anyone from those static POI's.

The lack of common sense here is staggering.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Its like day 1 D3 with your char getting stats you dont need - they need to be yelled at till they rectify the same mistakes blizz did in early d3 days. So to those defending loot amounts dropping - its not an issue, its just that for how shitty the loot usually is there isnt enough to offset the bs.

spronk

FPS noob
A Deep Dive Into BioWare’s Fall From Grace
A game should be built around its best aspects. Marvel’s Spider-Man knows that web-swinging is its biggest strength, and its open world and its mission design are all consistently centred around that one strength. God of War knows that its best mechanic is its incredible axe, and throwing it around and recalling it, and the game constantly keeps finding ways to use that in unique, varied, and interesting ways. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild knows that its traversal loop of climbing and paragliding is its best aspect, and the game’s entire map is built to leverage that aspect on a constant basis.

Anthem should know that traversal and combo and abilities-based combat are its biggest strengths, but if it does, it never gives you that indication. So yes- it’s a great proof of concept, in that it has a lot of great ideas, but it’s not a good game, because it never does anything with them. Not to mention the fact that for a game that is built as a live service model, right now, it is also severely lacking in content.

i'm playing on xbox right now for 1-2 hours a day and its fine played that way, but yeah when i hit level cap i expect to stop playing for a long time, if not forever.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A game should be built around its best aspects. Marvel’s Spider-Man knows that web-swinging is its biggest strength, and its open world and its mission design are all consistently centred around that one strength. God of War knows that its best mechanic is its incredible axe, and throwing it around and recalling it, and the game constantly keeps finding ways to use that in unique, varied, and interesting ways. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild knows that its traversal loop of climbing and paragliding is its best aspect, and the game’s entire map is built to leverage that aspect on a constant basis.

Anthem should know that traversal and combo and abilities-based combat are its biggest strengths, but if it does, it never gives you that indication. So yes- it’s a great proof of concept, in that it has a lot of great ideas, but it’s not a good game, because it never does anything with them. Not to mention the fact that for a game that is built as a live service model, right now, it is also severely lacking in content.

i'm playing on xbox right now for 1-2 hours a day and its fine played that way, but yeah when i hit level cap i expect to stop playing for a long time, if not forever.

LOL at level cap is when shit gets interesting with the drops you get. Shit like 200% charges, 700% ult per hit, huge dmg boosts to guns, huge dmg boosts to your skills with shit like 100% elemental, etc, etc...

Most of these reviews are fucks who played to lv 15 for 10 hours and think they have the game pegged. I say most, because some have posted reviews after 80 hours and shit, but those are rare.

For example the angry joe shit goes into rants about class balance and shit, and he played a storm not even hovering around like youre supposed to, lol. They even give you specific storm weapons that do 200% dmg while youre hovering. a sniper that does 130% dmg while hovering. Most of these fools dont know how to play.

Its reviews by journalists, not gamers, most of them, lol.

Not saying this game is the shit, because it has problems, bugs, lack of content, thats true, but most of these fools are not even gamers, so why should I listen to them?

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Anthem should know that traversal and combo and abilities-based combat are its biggest strengths, but if it does, it never gives you that indication.
Was the reviewer just a bad player? You know, like a Storm that doesn't hover during combat? Faulting Anthem for supposedly failing to fully utilize flying is somewhat justified, but the gameplay does allow you to fly around as you like in combat and for missions. Not setting the game up to highlight the use of combo's and javelin abilities? Really? Out of all the overstated, drame-queen-esque statements made about Anthem by reviewers, this has to take the cake. The gameplay is 90% about using combo's and your abilities, the other 10% is using your guns.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anthem should know that traversal and combo and abilities-based combat are its biggest strengths, but if it does, it never gives you that indication.

Like holy shit, no indication? At lv 2 you get a big COMBO message while im combat. Granted the game does not do a tutorial, but if you dont know WTF youre doing by lv 15 with combos youre a lost case. Especially now after the day 1 patch where skills are clearly maeked detonator and primer. Where as some were not before. You have symbols on the bottom right hand corner of your HUD that show you which ones are primers and detonators too.

Its like these dudes want the gamer to hold your hand instead of you know, experiment, try shit on your own, discover those holy shit moments that make games great.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Good points on not knowing what the hell the game wants to do. That is evident.

For example, looking for those four tombs.

Why the fuck can't I fly over a mountain if I have the heat down and can do it, rather than be pushed back by an invisible wall as I get close to flying over said mountain, and instead, I have to traverse all this corridor shit aka The Old Republic. My guess off hand is because they have shit for map indications on events and the game is forcing you to fly around obstacles to find them by pure luck and chance - which is also bullshit.

People in college level game design classes know better than to do this shit. So it's either incompetence, rush, too many cooks in the kitchen, disparate teams, or a combination of all of it.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
LOL at level cap is when shit gets interesting with the drops you get. Shit like 200% charges, 700% ult per hit, huge dmg boosts to guns, huge dmg boosts to your skills with shit like 100% elemental, etc, etc...

Most of these reviews are fucks who played to lv 15 for 10 hours and think they have the game pegged. I say most, because some have posted reviews after 80 hours and shit, but those are rare.

For example the angry joe shit goes into rants about class balance and shit, and he played a storm not even hovering around like youre supposed to, lol. They even give you specific storm weapons that do 200% dmg while youre hovering. a sniper that does 130% dmg while hovering. Most of these fools dont know how to play.

Its reviews by journalists, not gamers, most of them, lol.

Not saying this game is the shit, because it has problems, bugs, lack of content, thats true, but most of these fools are not even gamers, so why should I listen to them?

At the same time, it definitely isn't a 60 dollar game by any stretch of the imagination. So sure, at $14.99 for a month - but they may be taking that into account.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why? You get a 15-20 hour campaign, by the time youre 30 you have about 30 hours in. and thats not even touching GM1 or the other 3 javs, which play entirely different. And this game playes entirely different when you actually compile some masterwork shit. Yeah content is lacking in end game, but this is well worth the $60. When its not worth it is when you have this idea that this is some single player bioware masterpiece like SW KOTOR. But if you like looter shooters like I do, this is well worth it. I know content is coming, and if its not, well I got my 80+ hours out of it and have no regrets. Depends what you like, we all like different shit, bro. this is why we have 100s of games to choose from every year to suite our needs.

• 1Like