Bioware's "Anthem"

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
that just seems cheap though... it would be like disabling spider-mans webs during combat. and on top of that, some of the suits seem to be built around flying as a strength. i mean, sure have an emp type attack that disables flying temporarily if it hits you, but building a game off of xyz axis and then putting a bunch of fights in a 10 foot tall tunnel seems super cheap

Molten Core Raider
that just seems cheap though... it would be like disabling spider-mans webs during combat. and on top of that, some of the suits seem to be built around flying as a strength. i mean, sure have an emp type attack that disables flying temporarily if it hits you, but building a game off of xyz axis and then putting a bunch of fights in a 10 foot tall tunnel seems super cheap

That's how the one mission boss dude fought though. He walked around shooting fire everywhere, if you got hit you overheated and couldnt fly til you cooled down. That was just a regular mission boss, the full on boss fights will probably be more scripted but similarly restrictive.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Anyone else get a touch of vertigo playing this? I don't know if it was the camera positioning or the snap transitions when going from flying to not flying but after awhile it was really starting to bug me. I also do not care for the flying controls. I felt like I was fighting the interface.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I agree about the flying. They need to fix that shit, it should control way better than it does. When I fixed the retarded sensitivity it got better, but still felt off. It was even worse under water in that introductory mission.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
"So we've invented personal jet packs-"

"Outstanding!!"

"-but they overheat after about 15 seconds"

"Well... its a good thing our planet has inexplicable waterfalls all over the damn place"

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't see how this game catches on. I am sure EA will give it a massive marketing push, but I don't think that they have the goods to keep people that fall into their trap. People might try it, then return to Fortnite, Black Ops, Destiny 2, and Overwatch.

The world-setting is a weird mix between Pacific Rim's suits & robots, and the Matrix's world of Zion-multiculturalism & high-tech poverty. In other words, it is fucking shit.

The guns felt more like pea-shooters than blasters. The rockets and grenades felt more like fire-crackers than missiles.

The over-correction while flying made me feel like I was flying on ice... I know, that statement makes no sense... But the momentum pull was so drastic, flying in anything but a straight line felt like trying to ride a giraffe on an ice-skating rink.

I feel like Titanfall 2 & Destiny 1/2 already did everything this game wants to do and they probably did it better.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The guns felt like something from transformers, the way they just send so much lead down range and then random explosions. Similar pops and impact too.

For me it comes to performance first, Destiny runs like butter and looks fucking amazing and I had a lot of issues w/ this game. We'll see where that goes. The rest can be dialed in like the control sensitivity. There's enough different here for me to give it an honest shot since it's part of EA Origin Premier, so it won't cost anything to give the release a shot, but if it's not fun or runs poorly my interest will be shorter than this beta.

Agree about the flight momentum Fight Fight but figure that's something you'd get use to over time.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
You can reduce your flight sensitivity in the options to make it feel better.
The guns did feel underwhelming. I was able to loot more weapons, but had no way to equip them.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Hopefully the 'Pilot Skills' were placeholders. Their +gooder options were very weak.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the whole skill tree thing seemed stupid as fuck, just 3 +gooder options for 3 trees and thats it. i assume its more complex, but who knows

• 1Mic Drop

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I honestly cant remember where I read it, and Ive got a customer coming in in a few minutes or else I would try to find it. But essentially, the article said you get specializations that open up at a certain level with each suit. So the traits we saw in the Alpha were your generic traits that apply to all Suits. The next suit was at level 20, so a wild guess would be that the small suits talent trees would open up at 15? Giving you time to learn exactly how you want to play the game using that suit.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i mean... has it? development hell? really?

edit: heres the thing. you are having an emotional response based on a different game. "bioware made some poor social choices about the writing, so that means everyone else at bioware is clearly untalented."

im not defending anything but logical consistency. i hope the game does well because id like to play it with friends, but if it doesnt we'll just move on to something else

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
i mean... has it? development hell? really?

edit: heres the thing. you are having an emotional response based on a different game. "bioware made some poor social choices about the writing, so that means everyone else at bioware is clearly untalented."

im not defending anything but logical consistency. i hope the game does well because id like to play it with friends, but if it doesnt we'll just move on to something else

Dude you realize this piece of shit has been in development for over seven years right?

It’s already known publically how much trouble this game has been in over the years. What you are seeing now is a “fuck. This is it... get something out the door. Our company is fucked”. And now, as all of BioWare Edmonton and Austin are on hands, what you are going to get is one gigantic sloppy mess with the end result being the epitome of Frankenstein development.

Yes j00t j00t . Development hell. Really.

And luckily, with rental and EA access, everyone can witness this train wreck first hand for five bucks.

Last edited:

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yeh, I mean, I don't even care about this game, at this point. I think I have some more alpha access this weekend, but just haven't bothered to launch it.

• 1Like