Bioware's "Anthem"

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dont understand why they decided to show us this part of the game. Its a PVE game, its fucking BioWare - known for epic storytelling (long ago). At least Destiny 2 had a solid ”beta” which actually worked and gave you the first part of the story.

But like Ut says, both Destiny and Warframe run miles ahead of this game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
its crazy how now japanese devs (and indies) seem to be the only ones making great games focused solely on story and gameplay now, like resident evil 2 seems to be extremely well received and sekiro looks fucking awesome, but every vibe I get from anthem is "this game is actually a dude in drag and is gonna roofie you"

And ironically, it was BioWare that pulled the west out of that mess and kept putting out good RPG's.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok I am going to play a few games of rocket league. My face hurts after playing this. I’ll try again when I’m drunk after bar bingo.

If I win another 1k like I did last weekend, I’ll give sixty bucks to everyone here who cancels their preorder.

I don’t understand how anyone developing this thought anything about this was a good idea. I mean, I’m trying to be a better poster. I really am. And I’m trying very hard to not be so negative with games and some companies. So I guess I get this is a demo (more like pre alpha I would even hesitate to give to an internal testing team) that is mid game without any context and they are testing systems and what not, but this is three weeks away from launch and this segment of the game is a shitshow.

I’ll give it a rental from GameFly because I’ll honestly see if it ramps up correctly and maybe things make more sense, but aside from all that:

Massive amount of bugs. One crashed my router.

Performance on Xbox one X is absolute shit.

Gunplay is mediocre at best.

Mission 2. Lol.

UI is a total disaster. (Loading screen to get to your inventory via the forge which is not only lol you can’t pull it up anywhere in the menu, but lol loading screen to get to your inventory)

Sound design: Good.

Sound effects: fine.

Frame rate Xbox one X definitely hit lower than 23 FPS and I highly doubt it ever got above 26.

Input lag.

No idea how voice chat works I had my headset on. Didn’t have a damn clue.

Looks like bulk of the universe will probably be told through codex. Par for the course I suppose but can’t comment for sure on that until launch day and GameFly ships me a copy.

Sniper rifle. Lol. Shot a monster point blank on a trash mob and took a sliver of its shield. Damn near died laughing.

The social area is painful. Can’t jump. First person. Can’t sprint. Tacked on last minute and they were actually proud to announce it? Lol come on.

I just don’t get it. It’s painfully obvious this game had all hands on deck and 400 additional contractors to put something together in 6 months based off previous assets from the last four stop starts since 2012.

At this point I honestly feel horrible for the good people left that work for this company. I would start looking for another job pronto because this thing is going to fucking fall on its asshole and EA will eat you for lunch. Get out now. Seriously. Feels bad man.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I have not been able to play the game on my xbox. Every mission I try locks up at 95%

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have not been able to play the game on my xbox. Every mission I try locks up at 95%

I had to reboot my router for that to stop happening. Then the game crashed it again. I kid you not I understand it could be a variety of issues that could cause that to happen, but that’s a hell of a coincidence.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Man, playing from a recliner with controller and big TV makes this game way better.

First time I figured out the fly button was pretty awesome. The graphics and flying are sweet. The social area is dumb. No sprint? Gtfo.

I don't know. Things seem pretty polarized. For me, and maybe it's because I just finished another "round" of Destiny where I went back and caught up the story and stuff, but this has the potential to be a lot more fun than Destiny. Environments and flying alone do that for me though.

I don't know. I'll get it free through EA premier but just for Utnayan Utnayan I'll cancel if this turns shit!!

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Everytime I try to launch this game my secondary monitor goes black and my whole pc freezes until I hard reboot. Any Ideas?

Edit: apparently it's a bug when using monitors with different resolutions/refresh... Had to unplug second monitor to even get the game to open...

Last edited:
  • 1Like

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everything being a bullet sponge is boring as hell. The dialogue is so so so bad. All the stupid sarcasm and quips, just shut the fuck up. The game is gorgeous but I have a feeling it's gonna be a disaster on launch, but might be good in a year or so.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finished the Demo story, tried to do the stronghold on Hard about 3 to 4 times. The bots don't miss a single shot, as an interceptor you get raped almost immediately.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lol Jesus. Welp.

173B83E8-8EF4-4C27-A9B4-76E720798DC1.jpeg

• 2Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so who is cancelling their preorders and playing the 10 hour trial on ea access! 😜

E68B86E3-1945-47CC-92FB-35A7EC2DB679.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm still waiting on my utnayan edition of pantheon.

For anyone that doesn’t know the utnayan edition includes a copy of the game, one hundred dollars for beer, and a CD of me singing Elvis Presley songs via karaoke on a cruise ship. And a live video of me throwing Anthem into a bonfire. Hell of a bargain.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
At the bar. Buzz coming on. This thread is quiet. If you like the game that’s ok too you guys. :)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I base my expertise solely on Xbox one x which clearly has huge issues. Not sure if it effects other platforms.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm gonna wait and see how things shake out in a month.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Anthem VIP Demo: an update from BioWare’s Head of Live Service

So he claims that only a few people are having the infinite loading screen. I am inclined to call bullshit on this but am willing to be convinced otherwise. Obviously Utnanyan had that on Xbone and I'm seeing it constantly on PS4 as well.

He also sounded really defensive on the subject of having adequate server allocation. It may be that they were indeed ready to spin up as many virtual servers as necessary, but when the net effect that players see is that the server is full / timed out then you fucked up. This is not the time for excuses, it's the time for apologies and take your lumps. If you are the 'head of live service' for a AAA online-only title then you are a highly compensated member of the leadership team and ultimately responsible for the problem.

They wanted this to be a victory lap and instead they are getting nothing but bad press. You only get one shot at a first impression.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Anthem VIP Demo: an update from BioWare’s Head of Live Service

So he claims that only a few people are having the infinite loading screen. I am inclined to call bullshit on this but am willing to be convinced otherwise. Obviously Utnanyan had that on Xbone and I'm seeing it constantly on PS4 as well.

He also sounded really defensive on the subject of having adequate server allocation. It may be that they were indeed ready to spin up as many virtual servers as necessary, but when the net effect that players see is that the server is full / timed out then you fucked up. This is not the time for excuses, it's the time for apologies and take your lumps. If you are the 'head of live service' for a AAA online-only title then you are a highly compensated member of the leadership team and ultimately responsible for the problem.

They wanted this to be a victory lap and instead they are getting nothing but bad press. You only get one shot at a first impression.

Completely 100% agree Qhue.

• 1Like