Bioware's "Anthem"

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I dunno about you, but I’m tired as fuck hearing about “The game gets so much better after you trudge through 25 hours of mundane horseshit”. 1) Make the thing fun to play throughout. 2) I’m not going to beat off with a cheese grater for 25 hours to completion.

• 10Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
The base gameplay is fun, however, there's no endgame in sight. Every single game ever released gets more fun when you get cool shit to muck around with. I'm not entirely sure what you're complaining about because at every single point in almost any activity known to man, there's going to be a level of "mundane shit" that SOMEONE AT SOME POINT will get sick of because they've done it ten thousand times already.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, what you're talking about is burnout. Not being fun at all is a whole other issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played freeroam yesterday for about 2 hours finding the tombs and whatnot. Did some of the world quests. Found a titan and soloed it. Found several chests. Got lots of blues (not very far, around 10+ hours including listening to all dialogue and the radio stories). There is a lot of dialogue from random NPCs. Don't think I've ever loaded into town without new conversations to listen to (not the "talk" ones), never heard one being repeated either other than in the bar.

Lost connection to game server and was ported to the city, didn't go all the way to the main screen, so I guess there are two server loads? One for the missions and one for the town?

All loot gone. I admit, I rage quit.

• 1Like

Vithe

Hardcore Casual
Played freeroam yesterday for about 2 hours finding the tombs and whatnot. Did some of the world quests. Found a titan and soloed it. Found several chests. Got lots of blues (not very far, around 10+ hours including listening to all dialogue and the radio stories). There is a lot of dialogue from random NPCs. Don't think I've ever loaded into town without new conversations to listen to (not the "talk" ones), never heard one being repeated either other than in the bar.

Lost connection to game server and was ported to the city, didn't go all the way to the main screen, so I guess there are two server loads? One for the missions and one for the town?

All loot gone. I admit, I rage quit.

If you load into another Free Play and then just quit out you should get all of your loot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider

Haha there are som gems in this rather long review. Like a level 3 getting group matched with a group doing the final encounter of the game 🤪

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno about you, but I’m tired as fuck hearing about “The game gets so much better after you trudge through 25 hours of mundane horseshit”. 1) Make the thing fun to play throughout. 2) I’m not going to beat off with a cheese grater for 25 hours to completion.

Ok? So, fuck off and stop reading about a game you very clearly despise. Anthem is not without warts, but despite them a lot of people are having fun with it.

It's obvious that Anthem is never going to clear the bar and be the 1 in 500 game-Utnayan-approves-of. We get it, you hate the game, the publisher, the shell of a studio, etc. I rarely, if ever, click on a thread for games I know I dislike. Why waste your time with the periodic- "this game is trash" posts? Everything beyond your initial critical commentary is worthless noise.

• 2Salty
  • 2Like
  • 2Triggered
Reactions: 6 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok? So, fuck off and stop reading about a game you very clearly despise. Anthem is not without warts, but despite them a lot of people are having fun with it.

It's obvious that Anthem is never going to clear the bar and be the 1 in 500 game-Utnayan-approves-of. We get it, you hate the game, the publisher, the shell of a studio, etc. I rarely, if ever, click on a thread for games I know I dislike. Why waste your time with the periodic- "this game is trash" posts? Everything beyond your initial critical commentary is worthless noise.
Did you play KOTOR? Did you play Mass Effect 1-3? Did you play Dragon Age Origins or Baldur's Gate?

This is lamenting the fact that one of the greatest game studios ever, today is only same company in name. Yet, people still buy their games and give them their money as if the companies legacy means anything today, when they are playing buggy, shallow, and rushed out the door games.

Activision has slowly eroded Blizzard to a shell of the company it once was, and EA has destroyed nearly all the studios they have purchased. Some of us are not ok with this. Some of us would rather call a shit-game "shit", in the hopes that some of you sheep out there actually listen and stop buying their shit-games.

If you do not expect anything better, you will never get anything better.

• 10Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 10 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
He knows what type of game he wants to play, and what to expect from those game, unlike so many other reviewers.

So Arekkz is right, and EVERY OTHER REVIEWER IN THE WORLD is wrong? Huh...

Ahhh I get it, so because he "knows what he likes" and he "happens to like dogshit" his review is more valid than somebody who, *GASP*, expected Bioware to make a game with a semi-coherent story, *GASP* varied and interesting character interactions and quests (there are literally 4-5 different quest types in this entire game), *GASP* not full of indefensible bugs, load times, all around C-team effort in EVERY SINGLE aspect of the game save team-play, javelin flight/skills, and art direction. Is that what we're defending now? I like Arekkz typically, but that review felt like a straight up paid review and several of his points to the good are flat out lies at worst, misleading at best. The studio had damned near 7 years of development time on this - can anyone rightly say that this feels like a game that took 7 years to craft? In any aspect? Everything is copy paste bullshit, the missions are mostly awful, Fort Tarsis feels like at BEST an alpha version of a hub city, the character interactions are meaningless and uninteresting, the world is small and one note, the enemy ai is shit, you have 3 strongholds/dungeons at launch (lol), no raid in sight, no nightfall-esque dungeons to keep you going, limited (extremely limited) javelin customization options (the painting is exceptional though, but you get 2-3 different "looks" for your suit in a loot shooter shows they have no fucking clue how to design a loot/shoot type of game - I want my character to look cooler when I gain levels/power, not just get more power fundamentally - both together are what keep people coming back - look at any game w/ transmogs for reference).

The game is just a C team effort, developed by the A team at a AAA studio and it's utterly baffling how the game ended up the way it did. Like, they had to TRY to fuck it up as badly as they did.

Glad some of you are enjoying it, truly, but if you don't like people shitting on piece of shit games - resetera is >>>>>>> and they'd love to have you. It's a safe-space where nobody can hurt you

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Haha there are som gems in this rather long review. Like a level 3 getting group matched with a group doing the final encounter of the game 🤪

Quickplay is definitely broken as fuck. Out of the maybe 10 times i tried quickplay whilst leveling, I got put into broken ass lobbies where the missions could not be advanced. And a few of those I could not even back out of, had to quit the game.

One time I tried quickplay for a stronghold, loaded in and the team was on the final boss, but I was stuck outside and it would not progress me through the door.

I like the idea of just quickplay, especially while leveling when you just want to grind some exp, but its definitely broken.

The other thing I find really annoying at end game is having to go back and run around town for the next mission or whatever they are called, that shit should appear as an icon on the map screen.

I find strongholds really fun, did like 8 of them on hard last night trying to get some masterwork weapons, the only thing that I find is kind of broke is how hard the last boss is with his one shot and stun lock abilities. (the spider looking tank) It seems like hes not even worth doing. And several times I was in there people just got the 2 chests and then bailed. The should make the boss a guarantee drop or some shit and tune him down a bit. You end up sitting behind rocks the whole fight taking pot shots at him and you end up running out of ammo, then forcing you to run around trying to collect some and then getting one shot again, its that stupid tracking stun ability he has, then quickly followed up with another attack that kills you before you have a chance to do anything/get out of the way.

Mobs in general have way too much accuracy it seems. Especially the snipers which pretty much one shot you at GM1+.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Why can you hit R (or whatever keybind you have) to go to exploration menu in a squad but not solo. Graphically the game is outstanding but jesus christ every UI elements are just horrid. The multi second delay when doing anything in the menus, the mission where you have to line up the spinning icons but the interface requires you to hold the button vs instantly activating was lulz worthy. The other 3 people on the team were so incompetent I ended up having to do all.. 6(?) of them.

• 2Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I got a legendary grenade launcher but the grenades don't explode. Hopefully that bug gets fixed cause it sounds awesome. Got a masterwork component for colossus that added 10k armor and 5k for the shield. Now and can survive for a long time.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
How on earth did anyone sign off on the sheer number of loading screens needed? Especially given all their initial statements about it being a 'seamless' world that required no loading at all.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that happened to me during the demo. They were fighting the stronghold boss and I was standing up top next to the dead spider thing.

A few minutes later I got full XP and loot.

I finished the story last night and got my first few purple drops during heart of rage. Looking forward to more, and have Crackdown ready to go if the servers go to shit for a day or two after the full launch.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How on earth did anyone sign off on the sheer number of loading screens needed? Especially given all their initial statements about it being a 'seamless' world that required no loading at all.

The load screens are my biggest gripe. Just last night I was playing with a friend and after an hour long freeplay session we got booted and lost all the masterworks we farmed. We were obviously both salty, but I really lost it when I went to prepare for a contract by making consumables and yelled - "Jesus, fuck, why isn't there just a fucking inventory screen?" "Why do I have to load?"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

This game isn't going to clear the bar of fucking anything. I'll still play the 10 hour trial when they patch the thing. As it stands now, it's a piece of shit, and people here can read about it because they come here to make informed gaming decisions on what they should buy. Meanwhile, the point is valid. Don't come in here cocking off about how if you trudge through a bunch of bland buggy game design that should have never launched in the first place, it gets better for the last 50 minutes after you spent 40 hours sucking shit out of your ass in preparation for a clean break. And that's what my post is aimed for. You can have differing opinions in a game thread without you blowing out your white knight keyboard.

Cool your jets pal.

And that post goes for any game out there recently where I keep seeing the same stupid cock-kneed argument. When the fuck did it become acceptable to release games that are boring as fuck. buggy as shit, and outright broken - and scapegoat that for an end game which sounds like pie in the sky anyway at this point, to justify a game launching in a complete shit state.

The only saving grace for this is EA access for a 10 hour trial or subbing to premiere for $14 so they don't have to blow 60 while EA hopes people forget to cancel their sub.

Sound familiar? The new business model - release medicore and broken shit and hide behind a $14.99 a month subscription to justify the lack of quality and production? No thanks on gaming as as service if this is the type of bullshit we are going to see. And that goes for Sea of Thieves initial launch on Gamepass, as well as Crackdown 3's shit launch as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game isn't going to clear the bar of fucking anything. I'll still play the 10 hour trial when they patch the thing. As it stands now, it's a piece of shit, and people here can read about it because they come here to make informed gaming decisions on what they should buy. Meanwhile, the point is valid. Don't come in here cocking off about how if you trudge through a bunch of bland buggy game design that should have never launched in the first place, it gets better for the last 50 minutes after you spent 40 hours sucking shit out of your ass in preparation for a clean break. And that's what my post is aimed for. You can have differing opinions in a game thread without you blowing out your white knight keyboard.

Cool your jets pal.

And that post goes for any game out there recently where I keep seeing the same stupid cock-kneed argument. When the fuck did it become acceptable to release games that are boring as fuck. buggy as shit, and outright broken - and scapegoat that for an end game which sounds like pie in the sky anyway at this point, to justify a game launching in a complete shit state.

Choke on my dick, faggot.

I'm a 20+ year veteran of FoH yet there are MAYBE two dozen names that stand out to me and you're one of them because you have a well-documented history of just complaining about everyfuckingthing. Especially games. Complaining about games is fine, even necessary, but when your online persona is almost entirely defined by your vitriol then maybe it's time to check-up, son. Unless I'm mistaken, at one point you even faced a suspension/ban (or threat of) over your constant negativity

I'm not defending Anthem. In fact, there are numerous aspects of the game that are absolutely retarded and others that could have been programmed by college sophomores, but incessantly whining about it when you obviously have no real interest in the game is just as retarded. Check my entire post history (it's not long), I don't call anyone else out for negative commentary/reviews. I've only reserved that for assholes like you that make a fucking career out of it.

I've played and enjoyed almost every game that Bioware has created, but they sold their soul to satan. I'm not going to lament it because that ship has sailed. I just look to other studios to give me the experience that Bioware used to be large part of.

• 1Potato
  • 1RAGE