Bioware's "Anthem"

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
MW drop rate does not seem to have changed at all for the group I roll with. Same fucker keeps getting them and legendaries at the same pace. He stacks luck though. I don't have luck gear, so I finally got a legendary yesterday and enough crappy MW rolled drops to not have noticed any difference.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
One more legendary component (that isn't a dupe) and I'll hit 500. Slow going at the current drop rates.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Game is a c+/B- for me so far. I dunno, I'm enjoying myself but I guess I'm easier to please than most people here when it comes to games and movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I have 25 hours so far and I'm level 26. Easily going to get another 15 hours of farming/strongholds so the Origin pass was a win for me.

Definitely not game of the year, but people just need to chill the fuck out a bit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is there no way to see your overall stats in bonuses in game besides mathing it?
Correct, a game all about spamming loot drops to get the best random stat rolls does not have a centralized stat panel. They have said they're working on it. It will likely require 2-3 Loading Screens to access.

• 1Worf

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
FPS tip: Go to Origin > My Game Library > Click the Cog Wheel > Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options then put in this: +cl_showfps 4 +fps_max 0 -novid -freq (your monitor hz)

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have 25 hours so far and I'm level 26. Easily going to get another 15 hours of farming/strongholds so the Origin pass was a win for me.

Definitely not game of the year, but people just need to chill the fuck out a bit.

Yeah I got it on the pass too. Well worth the $15 so far.

• 2Like

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I decided to patch up my version of Anthem and head back into the quick group leveling que. I noticed a few things:

1. Got 10! story missions that couldn’t complete because bugged npcs/mechanics, same issues I had while doing the story - still not fixed.
2. XP wise it’s pretty amazing to quick match, but it feels weird to get matched with a group of level 2s while being 27. It also feels weird to get full xp for a mission I join in the end.
3. Had a two missions where I got matched with a group in a cinematic = loading screen while they had the cinematic and then a loading screen after they finished it. I couldn’t connect so I got kicked out to lobby twice. I never could connect with that group, but the game rewarded me a whole level! (Lol) and items.

Also, don’t be stupid like me and unlock Colossus last :p

Edit: Changed the number of bugged missions.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
XP wise it’s pretty amazing to quick match, but it feels weird to get matched with a group of level 2s while being 27. It also feels weird to get full xp for a mission I join in the end.

Was reading about someone who came in at the end of the final fight @lvl 2. Congrats you beat the game lol.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure that has been patched and the whole mission screen has been revamped since that so it is easier to understand.

It was definitely confusing before they changed the UI.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I will say, my only complaint so far is I'm surprised you dont have to go through a loading screen when just doing emotes. Good Lord those things are everywhere.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
None of the Quick plays are counting toward Challenge of Valor (for me). Most of the match ups I got were bugged anyway.

I have run through all of the conversations with all of the NPCs in Fort Tarsis. It feels lonely there now, cause none of them talk to me anymore. Guess I will use the Launch Bay now.

• 1Worf

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Game on its own might not be receiving so much bashing if we didnt care whos behind it. We have an indie quality title here. Problem is, this joke came from a tripple A dev, over 6+ years of dev time, costing millions of mula with major red flags has soon the game was revealed to the public that MAYBE, just maybe, this is not the game bioware fans expect from them.

Thats 2 in 2 for this once stellar dev. The catstrophy andromeda is and now this. The company should change name at this point. Theyre pissing on the legacy of knights of the old republic all the way to mass effect 2.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anthem's dead corpse is going to start to stink soon.

This should be posted at the top of every single thread page across every forum on the Internet. Holy fuck that end game too. Fuck that.

70 hours and the dude made 93k credits which is enough to purchase 33% of the fucking masterwork embers you need to craft ONE FUCKING GUN.

Salshun

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's been awhile since I'd played but due to the bad taste Anthem put in my mouth I fired up Destiny 2. Jesus fuck it's so much better, the intro level alone is more fun than all the fun I had in Anthem.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
He's doing it wrong if that's all he has

I doubt it. They also showed rewards for killing a sponge bob 100 times (takes forever to kill one much less 100 of the things I guess) and the reward is 2,000. The entire reward system is fucked. Not shocking given the state of everything else. At least that is fixable if they don’t instead want to drive everyone to the cosmetic shop.

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider
31 hours into the game level 30 for about 4 hours and im at 128k coins. So I will say again he's doing it wrong.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's been awhile since I'd played but due to the bad taste Anthem put in my mouth I fired up Destiny 2. Jesus fuck it's so much better, the intro level alone is more fun than all the fun I had in Anthem.
And it can start out with a crash as a sequel because it did highly effective world building in the original.

I have played a lot more Anthem and softened on it in a number of ways. The core competencies remain good and big issues remain but with time, more of the world makes sense and what they were going for starts to become more clear. The one game as an influence that I didn't expect but really should have seen coming: The Witcher 3. Disgraced former protectors killing savage beasts in the Wild beyond the walls? But at every turn the beyond thoughtless design decisions. For example: At the end of every mission, you are awarded badges based upon your actions in the missions, and given XP for them. What are they? At that moment, no way tell. You can go into the Codex, while in the mission, I think, or at some other point, but when they are awarded to, did Bioware think to add a tooltip? A text summary anywhere listing out all of the mission feats achieved? Of course not! Its right next to the character sheet in the "good ideas we aren't going to implement because...reasons" bucket. in the Bioware office.

Why not have started the player off with a couple of easier tutorial missions, then have them engage in the Heart of Rage that goes wrong? Let the player choose where in the world of Bastion they are from, give a player a chance ala Elder Scrolls to pick a backstory, etc. it would invest the player in the story and the characters, the freelancers, etc. Slowly ease the player into this world of all new IP, rather than drop them in crash course and then ask them to familiarize themselves shock-therapy style?

Why do javelins overheat so quickly outside of combat, other than to make travel a PITA? Are they fat-shaming my Colossus?

Something else that bothers me. If there are SO many Shaper relics, why are they left to "freelancers"? Wouldn't survival require something more organized vis-a-vis the Sentinels? Make them more rare, or lower powered and give the Freelancers some other function in society.

I am enjoying it when you get used to the needlessly cumbersome mechanics, and reading the Anthem forums, there are a great many folks who are highly invested in it. Can the game outrun the poor decisions? Can Bioware patch past the baked-in flaws? I can't see it maintaining interest long enough to allow Bioware to code its way out of its 5 year old choices into a really good game, which is a shame, because the core is there for some great.

Last edited: