Bird Box (2018)

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
The power of word of mouth lured me into this. Would've been a decent watch if I stumbled into it at 2am 3 months from now, desperate for something to watch. But coming home with the intentions of watching Birdbox because the internet thought it was the best thing ever gave this movie an uphill battle to climb and it's a 5/10 on its best day.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wife and I watched this last night after aquaman at 3:45 and sushi after. I thought the premise was really good. A little slow moving. Definitely not scary like, at all. You guys want a good scary movie? Starts out a little slow but kicks ass later and will send chills down your spine on a continual basis.

Free on YouTube.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I just watched A Quiet Place last night, and in spite of being a completely unbelievable circumstance, the world they built was solid, and acting too fucking notch, every character was great, and even the CGI if slightly distracting, suited the movie. When it ended I was left thinking "well that shit seems obvious, how did it get to this point?" Also the Sarah Connor shotgun moment sold the ending in spite of this.

From what I'm reading here, it's a try hard copy cat of the current motife of films - remove one of your senses and make it a critical aspect. Sandra Bullock can't hold a film on her own. She's not Emily fucking Blunt. Doubt I'll bother with this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
the crazy thing is the book this movie was based on came out in 2014, before AQP, and was written by the lead singer of a rock band lol. They apparently changed quite a bit tho from the book to the movie.

but yeah, I wouldn't watch except as a date night kinda thing. I think women will like this movie more, while guys are gonna like A Quiet Place more. If you didn't like AQP I just don't see why you would like this movie, its worse in every way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A movie comes out on a platform that requires nothing more than clicking a play button. People watch it when no expectations or expectations that it will be terrible and the film exceeds those bare-bones expectations. Those people give it some kind of recommendation. That sets the bar too high and the next batch of people that watch it based on those recommendations do find it to be terrible. Everyone says it's terrible and the third wave of people that give it a chance later don't think it's so bad.

rat 1.png

Being able to watch something at a click, recommend it immediately after at a few more clicks, and then have people watch it themselves for the investment of a click on a service they already have seems to have created the environment in which this happens.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Also the massive quantity of content spewing at the brim, we literally don't even have the time to allocate to things that are decent. Everything is hyped as being awesome and for the vast majority it's pure disappointment.

Also, my wife is the one who wanted to watch AQP, because it had a pregnancy (which happened at the same time as her own pregnancy), and Emily Blunt in general.

I've received literally zero IRL feedback on this movie other than it being the first thing I see when I load Netflix. Go watch the Black Mirror choose your own adventure movie. Much more entertaining, assuming you're not stoned and forget to click a decision.

iannis

Musty Nester
They used to have that movie of the week thing on network tv. No one ever expected those to be that good, just passable.

I think Netflix needs an "aggressively mediocre" scroll category. Sometimes it really is all you're looking for. Noise while you do the dishes.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
They used to have that movie of the week thing on network tv. No one ever expected those to be that good, just passable.

I think Netflix needs an "aggressively mediocre" scroll category. Sometimes it really is all you're looking for. Noise while you do the dishes.

I always thought by opening Netflix, with a few exceptions, you were opening the aggressively mediocre category.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This was an interesting breakdown of this movie from a propaganda perspective.

• 4Like
  • 1EyeRoll

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I went and watched A Quiet Place as I was now curious and while it is expertly crafted I didn't like it all that much. Having everyone use sign language combined with a minimalist score made things boring quickly. Loots good, acting is good, film is only like 90 minutes which is good, it's just not all that interesting.

Caliane

yeah, its why we need the 5 star system back. thumbs up/down is just good/bad. We need an "its ok".

Or the review system, so you could look and see. "its good if you like this sort of thing".

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Can we keep this bullshit in the political thread please?

You fuckers are really like the crazy guys in the movie.
LOOK AT IT>> LOOK AT IT!!!!!!

• 5Salty