Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The vat really doesn't detract from Harley as a villain because even after they added it to some of her newer versions, it isn't what defines her. What defines Harley is the fact that she is just as much a victim of Joker as she is his sidekick. The vat doesn't change that.

The reason the empowerment angle flops for Harley is because it is directly working against what makes her unique.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The vat really doesn't detract from Harley as a villain because even after they added it to some of her newer versions, it isn't what defines her. What defines Harley is the fact that she is just as much a victim of Joker as she is his sidekick. The vat doesn't change that.

The reason the empowerment angle flops for Harley is because it is directly working against what makes her unique.
Disagree. The vat goes directly against the character because it is what makes her insane instead of the influence of a charming figure. It cuts out a massive relatable wedge while providing minimal in return
But to clarify - vat is fine after already being establishing her origin as a way to level up - say after advancing from criminals to bioterrorists and then accidentally dosing self (which does happen with RL chemical handlers); but not as an origin/origin intensifier itself

Cybsled

Didn't the chemical vat just get used to explain her enhanced abilities?

In any event, they've been edging her towards chaotic neutral vs. chaotic evil for a long time now and have been making Ivy more of a stabilizing presence for her outside of Joker's circle.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The vat didn't do anything to her physically. Her enhanced shit came way of Poison Ivy.

• 1Spotlight

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The vat goes directly against the character because it is what makes her insane instead of the influence of a charming figure.

Dude, if you're willing to jump into a vat of chemicals just to prove how much you love a mass murdering super villain, you're already nuts. That was one of the few decent scenes in Suicide Squad.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Margot does a great job as this character, I cant believe they can fuck up something this bad when it had so much potential.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Margot does a great job as this character, I cant believe they can fuck up something this bad when it had so much potential.

I have no problems with Margot and how she portrays Harley. it's just DC's decisions with their movies and stories that suck. This was basically them using Harley to introduce the Birds of Prey so they can go on to have their own movie. It sucks that Batman got shelved because I'd rather they had done Gotham City Sirens with Ivy and Catwoman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have no problems with Margot and how she portrays Harley. it's just DC's decisions with their movies and stories that suck. This was basically them using Harley to introduce the Birds of Prey so they can go on to have their own movie. It sucks that Batman got shelved because I'd rather they had done Gotham City Sirens with Ivy and Catwoman.
good luck ever seeing a live action Birds of Prey movie again outside this flop. its pretty sad too, the BoP on Arrow were all hot.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just posting a page I like try and stop me.

1580432141216.jpg

So for the next film you need to cast a sexy Poison Ivy and do a gussied up version of their BTAS episode together where they go on a crime spree also lesbians. Less 'splosions more romance.

• 2Like
  • 1Let's Go

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
good luck ever seeing a live action Birds of Prey movie again outside this flop. its pretty sad too, the BoP on Arrow were all hot.
Arrowverse is what 8 years old now and will be 9 shows total next fall. It's comical how well TV does over the movie division.

• 3Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shazam was light hearted. And one of the better DC movies.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Shazam, probably too much in the other direction if I'm honest. I haven't really read any of those comics so was it normal for him to create all those other versions? I remember from the animated movies that they all just become the one Shazam so it kind of jarred with me to see all these suits flying around.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Yeah, I'd forgotten about Shazam, probably too much in the other direction if I'm honest. I haven't really read any of those comics so was it normal for him to create all those other versions? I remember from the animated movies that they all just become the one Shazam so it kind of jarred with me to see all these suits flying around.
Yes the Capt Marvel family was a big part of the comics (later rebranded as Shazam)

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really enjoyed Season 8 of Arrow.

This is mind boggling to me because I couldn't bear watching anymore after Season 4. Watching like the first episode or two of Season 5 and noped out of both that and Flash.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
This is mind boggling to me because I couldn't bear watching anymore after Season 4. Watching like the first episode or two of Season 5 and noped out of both that and Flash.
Yeah those shows went from superhero shows with CW casts to CW shows with some superhero flavor and it was all cringe as fuck.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah those shows went from superhero shows with CW casts to CW shows with some superhero flavor and it was all cringe as fuck.

Their mini-Flashpoint Paradox storyline that they ended s2/began s3 Flash with was just terrible and completely anti-Barry.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Their mini-Flashpoint Paradox storyline that they ended s2/began s3 Flash with was just terrible and completely anti-Barry.
Yeah but look at all these attractive people having relationship stress/drama over dumb shit! Doesn't matter if it doesn't make any sense.

Szlia

My feeling is that it's all well and good to have a zany side character that is very popular, but that does not mean people want to see that character become a main character for a whole movie. I mean it's always cool to have Ol' Dirty Bastard drop some verses for a Wu-Tang Clan song, but listening to a whole album of him is a bit tiring (that example might not be very good because I think his solo career went pretty well ?)