Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
My feeling is that it's all well and good to have a zany side character that is very popular, but that does not mean people want to see that character become a main character for a whole movie. I mean it's always cool to have Ol' Dirty Bastard drop some verses for a Wu-Tang Clan song, but listening to a whole album of him is a bit tiring (that example might not be very good because I think his solo career went pretty well ?)
She's not really a side character though. She started that way, but she was wildly popular and has become a major character that has her own comics etc. Many popular comic characters start out as minor characters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQhglQEXUAIN8vm.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the idea that a zany character can't be a main character is silly, deadpool is a cultural icon.

that being said, i don't like the trend that turned harley into dc's deadpool. it just comes across that they understand "insane" as a binary thing. and again, the idea that a chemical vat makes you crazy, but otherwise leaves you relatively physically unscathed is just.. well it's insane.

as far as this particular movie goes i don't think it's any one issue. margot robbie does a great job as harley, but everything else surrounding the character just... isn't good. the character was introduced (live action) in a movie that is regarded as an overwhelmingly bad movie, in a movie universe where the good movies are regarded as flukes. why on earth would the general public be interested in a spin off based on a trashed IP?

then you have the marketing which just... off.

then you have the fact that they are actively alienating the fans that birthed the popularity in these characters in the first place.

who are they actually expecting to see this movie?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's still "Birds of Prey and all those other words which push Harley's name so far out that it's replaced with an ellipses" in the theaters near me.

iannis

Musty Nester
Not gonna watch it, but the one good thing I have to say about it is the trailers make it look good.

Interesting color, interesting contrast, looks like a vivid chalk drawing.

I'm sure 90% of the movie is full blueblack Gotham at night in the rain, though. Make a full spectacle and let me know it's what you made.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Not gonna watch it, but the one good thing I have to say about it is the trailers make it look good.

Interesting color, interesting contrast, looks like a vivid chalk drawing.

I'm sure 90% of the movie is full blueblack Gotham at night in the rain, though. Make a full spectacle and let me know it's what you made.

No, this movie has color and style. It is definitely one of the marks in the "pro" column

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hollywood is learning the hard way that the public hates feminist movies.

They will go and see women, blacks, asians, hispanics, and hell even gay, trans movies. But they wont go see feminist movies.

For best results they need a balance in sexes, with both sexes working together. Whats funny is actually they had that formula figured out in comics by the early 70s and Hollywood had figured that out in the late 90 early 2000s. Then they went with this stupid feminist Crap that doesn't work.

Cybsled

It has to do more with how they market it. The whole "emancipation" in the title came across as really preachy/pretentious, so right there, without knowing much about the film, you have a large segment of the audience who see that and make an automatic association with theme of the movie (whether accurate or not).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Emancipation is probably an accurate word if your talking about freeing her from her relationship with joker. But there are social connotations of that word that misrepresent... Well everything.

And then on top of the fact joker isn't even in the movie, the title looses meaning and just comes across as pretentious.

I mean I can hear Harley saying it and it's fine, it comes across as super tongue-in-cheek, but the trailers don't FEEL tongue-in-cheek so it just feels pretentious

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm leaning towards "anyone who had a problem with the word emancipation in the title is an idiot". Replace idiot with "not the target audience" if it makes you feel better.

How can you not read the title in her voice?

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm leaning towards "anyone who had a problem with the word emancipation in the title is an idiot". Replace idiot with "not the target audience" if it makes you feel better.

How can you not read the title in her voice?

Imagine the title is "Harley Quinn: White people suck" of course the title matters. I fucking hate her Harley Quinn voice.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Imagine the title is "Harley Quinn: White people suck" of course the title matters. I fucking hate her Harley Quinn voice.

I'm not a fan of the comics, I've only seen cartoons and movies. Is that something she'd say in the comics? It's not something cartoon Harley Quinn would say.