Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Chris

Potato del Grande
also for comic book nerds, harley mentions she fell into a pit of chemicals or acid (I can't remember which) in this movie "for Joker". like... WTF? Wouldn't that DESTROY her? She looks completely normal and doesn't move all fucked up, so I just couldn't figure out what the fuck she was talking about. Did she just fall into regular water and Joker told her it was acid?

its stupid as hell in retrospect but the scene in 1989 Batman where Joker (Jack Nicholson) gets all fucked up from falling into acid was neat and interesting, he didn't pop right out and look normal
They show it in Suicide Squad.

It looked like a vat of greasepaint.

Cybsled

That’s been part of her character for a while. Pretty sure she did the chemical bath way back in the 90s Batman cartoon.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Movie wasn't called "Harley Quinn" but had a pretentious subtitle.

Posters showed only Harley Quinn with the rest of the cast being tiny, when you should be showing Ewan McGregor who is potentially a box office draw and him playing a villian is unusual.

Posters also gave no clue as to the content or tone of the movie other than "zany" which isn't a genre, it could even be a comedy, who fucking knows.

Harley Quinn makeup made fucking Margot "Wolf of Wall Street" Robbie look like shit on the posters and in the trailers.

Woke marketing from husband of the year 2017 Ewan McGregor talking about feminism, playing a gay character for the massive gay demographic who is not reffered to as gay in the movie. Oh and the younger model he traded his wife in for is in the movie too?

No announced cameo from the wildly popular Joker movie or the up coming The Batman and The Suicide Squad movies.

R rated sequel to a PG-13 movie with characters popular with teen girls.

It's just a cascade of marketing failures.

Can't wait for them to gritty reboot the character in "The Harlequin".
youll never guess who they also casted with husband of the year 2017 for this movie. oh his mistress? weird!

Goatface

should start 4:35 in

as for the comic and cartoon, i only know in mad love book, she just got a costume from a store.

Cybsled

I had to look it up. Looks like the chemical vat for Harley first happened when they rebooted the comics back in 2011 and gave that addition to her origin story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
also for comic book nerds, harley mentions she fell into a pit of chemicals or acid (I can't remember which) in this movie "for Joker". like... WTF? Wouldn't that DESTROY her? She looks completely normal and doesn't move all fucked up, so I just couldn't figure out what the fuck she was talking about. Did she just fall into regular water and Joker told her it was acid?

Her original story is she was Joker's prison therapist who fell in love with him and helped him escape. Then to prove her love to Joker he tossed her in some random chemical bath (not acid). This gave her the white skin like Joker and made her completely batshit crazy. Apparently they retooled this into being that she was the one that jumped in to prove her love to Joker. She also got the white Joker skin treatment but she was already crazy, before Joker, so the chemicals didn't really effect her much more mentally.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well that's retarded. Her just being a normal person that got seduced into being a villain via jokers charisma was one of the reasons she was such a great character

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Well that's retarded. Her just being a normal person that got seduced into being a villain via jokers charisma was one of the reasons she was such a great character

They most likely changed it "cuz girl power" when they decided to move her away from Joker. So that her identity wasn't tied to Joker 100%.

spronk

FPS noob
should start 4:35 in

wait... was that stuff in Suicide Squad?? I saw the movie and I don't honestly remember any of that. I thought Joker was in SS for only like 1 minute.

Also cam's of this movie are out now, quality looks decent

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They most likely changed it "cuz girl power" when they decided to move her away from Joker. So that her identity wasn't tied to Joker 100%.
It was already though IIRC. There was a point whee she got mad at Joker and split off to do it shit with the other female villains, so she left her abusive ex and learned to stand on her own. That is actual girl power stuff and is compelling on its own. They didn't need the vat stuff, or making it look like it was 100% on Joker.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It was already though IIRC. There was a point whee she got mad at Joker and split off to do it shit with the other female villains, so she left her abusive ex and learned to stand on her own. That is actual girl power stuff and is compelling on its own. They didn't need the vat stuff, or making it look like it was 100% on Joker.

Hell if I know. I originally thought they just changed it in Suicide Squad, but they also did it in her new cartoon series. I mean it's DC, all their decisions are suspect.

Goatface

1581387286714.png

My local AMC
1581387208847.png

also changed at cinemark, but not at marque

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
this is the worst performing DC film since Jonah Hex, its a bomb and it will hurt the DCEU more than Justice League.
I had wiped the memory of Jonah Hex from my brain. God I wanted that movie to not suck. God that movie sucked.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Really wish DC would just stick to the animated stuff. I have yet to see a single DC movie that I could be arsed to watch beyond the initial sitting. Even Wonder Woman I just fast forward through to the trench bit and the Ares smackdown.

I mean, am I missing something? Have any of them been one tenth as entertaining as say the first Guardians movie or any of the Iron Mans? There's little to no humour in them, they're overly dark and joyless, and the action is usually a hot mess. /oldman
Shazam was light hearted. And one of the better DC movies.