Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, huge drops in the last hour. Both Bitcoin and Litecoin dropped 10% really quickly.

Edit: Gdax website is being pounded it would appear. I can't even get it to load

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I now wish I never sold everything back in Aug

Bad practice to get in the habit of thinking like that. You sold for a profit yes? That means you won. But when you say things like the above it's easy to trick yourself into thinking you lost, even though you didn't. And that's when you start making bad investing decisions based on feelings rather than logic.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I can't keep up because Coinbase keeps erroring out on me. Lowest I saw as $9100, and then it was at $9400 a minute ago. No idea now cause the site is down again

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Bad practice to get in the habit of thinking like that. You sold for a profit yes? That means you won. But when you say things like the above it's easy to trick yourself into thinking you lost, even though you didn't. And that's when you start making bad investing decisions based on feelings rather than logic.
You're right but we can't help but think these things at times :D. I'm not getting back in while it's this high anyways.

Khane

The volatility of it is enough to keep me from ever investing. It's moving hundreds of dollars in seconds... all day long.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It's bounced almost all the way back already. Currently at $10.2k. What a crazy day

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I actually was watching it and was going to try and buy some more, but it moved so quick and the websites were fucked, that I never even had a chance.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Up $371 in the past hour. I haven't bought or sold any. I have .5998 sitting in coinbase, considering just playing with that buying and selling to see if I can make more. I also have 3.6 in my own wallet. So not sure if I just want to sit on all of it or try to day trading with what I got in coinbase.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So here's my question about crypto, but this is mostly specific to Bitcoin: How far can this go without the currency itself holding any tangible value? Currently the only thing BTC is good for is buying drugs, is that enough to prop this market up? Cause I don't think it is.

The current numbers are insane to me for something that's only purpose currently is buying illegal goods. BTC being a "legitimate" currency isn't even really technically possible with the limitations on blockchain transactions, and has there been any indication that's even going to get changed/fixed? Even if they DO resolve that, how the fuck can anyone expect this to ever be a legitimate currency when it can fluctuate thousands in value in a matter of hours?

I mean, I get it, people like to day trade in all kinds of dumb shit, but this just smells of a Ponzi setup at this point, with the early adopters and long-term holding relying on the current hype train of noobs to keep inflating their "investment".

Khane

It's really more of a value store than a currency.

In a shitty country whose currency is tanking? Dump it all into a crypto "currency" to store value while you can! Bitcoin isn't even used by criminals anymore either. They've all switched to Monero because the blockchain is far superior and about as anonymous as it gets (as I understand it).

Which is interesting in itself. I feel like just following the criminals and investing in whatever crypto they are using is a good approach. Kind of like following hipsters to buy real estate before they cause it to skyrocket with gentrification.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So here's my question about crypto, but this is mostly specific to Bitcoin: How far can this go without the currency itself holding any tangible value? Currently the only thing BTC is good for is buying drugs, is that enough to prop this market up? Cause I don't think it is.

The current numbers are insane to me for something that's only purpose currently is buying illegal goods. BTC being a "legitimate" currency isn't even really technically possible with the limitations on blockchain transactions, and has there been any indication that's even going to get changed/fixed? Even if they DO resolve that, how the fuck can anyone expect this to ever be a legitimate currency when it can fluctuate thousands in value in a matter of hours?

I mean, I get it, people like to day trade in all kinds of dumb shit, but this just smells of a Ponzi setup at this point, with the early adopters and long-term holding relying on the current hype train of noobs to keep inflating their "investment".

Currency has been going digital for a while. Crypto is the next logical step. Countries could theoretically start their own official crypto currency. Paper is tangible, but worthless, it's not backed by gold anymore.

The reason the price rises is because there is a finite number.... but it is infinitely divisible.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea Monero is definitely picking up steam. It's pretty widely accepted on most black markets now, but it's nowhere near the prevalence of BTC yet.

I haven't personally used it yet but I might once my current stash of BTC is exhausted for my next shipmets. Though given the current trend that might be a minute.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
If I had to guess, this might be part of the dip today.
Coinbase ordered to give the IRS data on users trading more than $20,000
Coinbase ordered to give the IRS data on users trading more than $20,000
Posted 45 minutes ago by Taylor Hatmaker (@tayhatmaker)

Most digital currencies exist in a sort of twilight state just beyond the grasp of federal regulators, but the U.S. tax authority is starting to get savvy to this whole bitcoin thing.

On Wednesday, a federal judge in San Francisco ruled that Coinbase must supply the IRS with identifying information on users who had more than $20,000 in annual transactions on its platform between 2013 and 2015. After noticing that the number of tax returns claiming gains from virtual currency didn’t line up with the emerging popularity of digital currencies like bitcoin as an investment vehicle, the IRS asked Coinbase to hand over a broad swath of information on its users. Coinbase pushed back, and now the court has landed on a compromise that the company is calling a “partial victory.”

“Coinbase itself admits that the Narrowed Summons requests information regarding 8.9 million Coinbase transactions and 14,355 Coinbase account holders. That only 800 to 900 taxpayers reported gains related to bitcoin in each of the relevant years and that more than 14,000 Coinbase users have either bought, sold, sent or received at least $20,000 worth of bitcoin in a given year suggests that many Coinbase users may not be reporting their bitcoin gains,” the court documents read.

While cryptocurrency users who value the relative decentralization and privacy afforded by digital currencies won’t be happy, Coinbase succeeded in limiting the government’s initial request for information on all Coinbase users who made transactions from 2013 to 2015 to the smaller subset of high-value users.

The IRS initially requested nine kinds of user data, including “complete user profiles, know-your-customer due diligence, documents regarding third-party access, transaction logs, records of payments processed, correspondence between Coinbase and Coinbase users, account or invoice statements and records of payments.”

Rejecting some of those requests, today the court narrowed the scope of documents that the IRS can request from Coinbase to taxpayer ID number, name, date of birth, address, transaction logs and account statements, deeming the rest of the documents “not necessary.” Again, these personal data requests will only apply to accounts that have bought, sold, sent or received more than $20,000 in any of those types of transactions between 2013 and 2015.

As the court documents specify, the narrowed IRS request “applies to far fewer, but still more than 10,000, Coinbase account holders.”

You can read the court decision in full below.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Up $371 in the past hour. I haven't bought or sold any. I have .5998 sitting in coinbase, considering just playing with that buying and selling to see if I can make more. I also have 3.6 in my own wallet. So not sure if I just want to sit on all of it or try to day trading with what I got in coinbase.

For those using Coinbase, check their sister site GDAX.
It has up to date info and trading, trading will be lower fees for instant buy/sell or no fee limit buy/sell.
Just going to their site logs you in, you will have to give an ID to trade within that site. This can be done thru Coinbase for the ID. But without ID you can see what it does/offers. Trading your $$$ ins free/instant between Coinbase/GDAX.

You will see a major diff between the 2 sites, my "understanding" of Coinbase is you are seeing/getting their avg high/low from previous min tick. So it might be higher price or lower compared to GDAX and other tickers. GDAX is up to the min vs lagged avg like Coinbase.

Still playing around with their system, so far I like it. Still wish they offered more Coins.