Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That's what I was trying to tell my buddy.

Sounds like it's losing liquidity is the cost of a transaction is that high

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
got in at 3k with coinbase, just discovered GDAX 2weeks ago. Wish I knew it sooner.
Last week was crazy climb, hard flipping when it doesnt float for awhile.
Next week will be crazy the closer it gets to the split.
Get in now before the double coin deal for bitcoin. If the new fork is close to what I have been seeing some say. This could launch it alot higher. Some dont like that 51% thing with the new fork coin.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I've been thinking of throwing a few thousand bucks into this - i figure its almost certain to beat the SP500 - what do you guys recommend? Ive been thinking about Ethereum

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Wow, they just canceled that, looks like yesterday.
Cool, will see how that goes with the market then.

I have like 1 in lite and 1 in eth. Just grinding to get 1 in bit. Bit has been the only one I have see increase like crazy.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I've been thinking of throwing a few thousand bucks into this - i figure its almost certain to beat the SP500 - what do you guys recommend? Ive been thinking about Ethereum

Article I read yesterday that some guy triggered a bug in Ethereum that locked up like $300 million in the coin. Did it by accident I guess. Its possible that everyone might come together to do a hard fork and roll it all back. I know they did that once before with Ethereum. Not sure how that will shake out though or what effect it will have on the price. Might not be a good idea to buy it if they do a rollback.

https://gizmodo.com/poor-guy-accidentally-steals-and-then-destroys-300-mil-1820251726

With the hard fork being cancelled in bitcoin, the price will probably drop some. I think Dr Neir was right that a lot of people were buying to cash in on the hard fork and get double the coins. You'll probably see some sell off, now that the hard fork isn't happening. But who the hell knows really, bitcoin is up $2300 in past month. Those kind of gains can't last forever.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you're looking for big returns you're probably better off finding a bunch of lower market share coins with decent tech backing them. Bitcoin has major issues right now with dealing with the transaction volume, so much that it's becoming insanely expensive just to get the miners to validate your transactions. There are better coins out there that can support a much higher transaction volume with built in anonymity that are still pretty low in price. I'm not going to make any guarantee that you'll make bank like you could have if you got into bitcoin early, but if you spread your money out enough you'll probably find a few coins that might have decent long term pay offs.

On the note of bitcoins, I started mining really early on after the white paper came out and I threw away a wallet with a few thousand coins in it. I've also mined another 100 or so and spent it over time. I can laugh pretty hard at this but I can't help but think how much different things would be if had 20-30 million laying around.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you're looking for big returns you're probably better off finding a bunch of lower market share coins with decent tech backing them. Bitcoin has major issues right now with dealing with the transaction volume, so much that it's becoming insanely expensive just to get the miners to validate your transactions. There are better coins out there that can support a much higher transaction volume with built in anonymity that are still pretty low in price. I'm not going to make any guarantee that you'll make bank like you could have if you got into bitcoin early, but if you spread your money out enough you'll probably find a few coins that might have decent long term pay offs.

On the note of bitcoins, I started mining really early on after the white paper came out and I threw away a wallet with a few thousand coins in it. I've also mined another 100 or so and spent it over time. I can laugh pretty hard at this but I can't help but think how much different things would be if had 20-30 million laying around.

I mean, same could be said of the couple hundred grand I had that I bought a house with in the late 90's. If I had bought AAPL in 1998 it'd have made like 75X returns by now...

Of course, I wouldn't have held on to it the entire time, I would have needed to spend other money on rent, etc... backwards looking speculation is always tough. Really hits in the feels for sure.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My brother bought pharmaceutical penny stock, threw in about 10k into it. Got cold feet and jumped out several months later when it doubled. It ended up creating some sort of cancer drug breakthrough, getting bought out by Abbott and netting nearly a 95x return over the next 3 years after he bought it

Arative

Vyemm Raider

I never had thousands but I had probably mined around 200 before ASIC hit it big. I used to basically sell them as soon as I got them and thought it was great I was making like $50. Though for about 6 months in 2013 I was making my car payments by selling bitcoin. Who know it would go from $13 a coin to $7500.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I never had thousands but I had probably mined around 200 before ASIC hit it big. I used to basically sell them as soon as I got them and thought it was great I was making like $50. Though for about 6 months in 2013 I was making my car payments by selling bitcoin. Who know it would go from $13 a coin to $7500.

I kept taking my coins and buying forward with hardware until I eventually bought into a steaming pile of shit that was a year late and didn't work and I sold the rest off to try and recoup some of my loses. It was a bitter pill to swallow, and I only recently started mining again (Zero Cash).

I keep coming back to them because they're truly fascinating beasts. It's just a matter of time before they start unseating existing currencies because there is a lot of value in having some sort of personal savings that isn't tied to any country's stupidity (Hi Venezuela). With everybody and their sister issuing ICO's there could be an interesting future there where there are no national currencies only the currencies of organizations, and their value is determined directly by their competency and the interchange to other organizations coin's. No longer would funds be tied to the success or failure of a country, but to any organization you deem competent to store value in. Maybe I'm a dreamer but it might be a positive pressure for governments to get their shit together and provide a much needed competitive pressure against government inefficiency.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
They stopped segwit2x, consensus wasn't reached, so there will be no hard fork.
I actually somehow missed out on this annoucement. I suppose that partially explains the drop that is happening today. I think it is down around 9% from yesterday.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I actually somehow missed out on this annoucement. I suppose that partially explains the drop that is happening today. I think it is down around 9% from yesterday.

I'm sure that explains the sell off, people only wanted the coins in the event of a hard fork. Now no hard fork is happening, so they are selling them off

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you guys use to buy coins? I know most use Coinbase for simplicity but i was thinking of buying some bitcoin cash (like a really small amount) but am completely unsure of the “best” or “safest” place.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
There was something about Mt Gox with the Japan exchange from 2013/2014 in court or something ending soon. Looks like there could be a flood of coins.
The curious case of the missing Mt. Gox bitcoin fortune - CyberScoop
Seeing it drop bad since yesterday. Waiting till it floats for a few day before continuing on trading.

Some articles on projects of going down to $5,800.
Bitcoin Price Analysis: Market Correction Could See Lows of $5,800
It's getting pretty close to that now. Just a shade over $6k currently

Arative

Vyemm Raider
What do you guys use to buy coins? I know most use Coinbase for simplicity but i was thinking of buying some bitcoin cash (like a really small amount) but am completely unsure of the “best” or “safest” place.

I use coinbase for Bitcoin.

I haven't gotten into Bitcoin cash but with the huge up swing in price I'll probably get the bcash from my current btc and sell it for btc. There are a few exchanges that do bcash. I'll probably use bitfinex

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Check Gdax. Same company owns Coinbase and Gdax. Been testing it out, can get some trades with no fees.
Learned how Coinbase was giving you an avg of the peak/drop. Was trying to trade with Coinbase noticed it wasnt matching other trade tickers. Started digging into why.
You can instant transfer between the 2 sites.
No app for gdax though and you will need to upload your license. This can be done on the Coinbase side. Uses same login for both.
Pretty happy with it. I have a bookmark on the mobile for the site. It has a decent mobile site setup.

Wish Coinbase/GDAX offered more coin offerings though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Looks like we've topped 8k per coin. Last week I ended up claiming my Bitcoin cash and converted it in to Bitcoin. I used binance.com to convert it and then moved the Bitcoin to coinbase. Had 3.4 Bitcoin cash and ended up with .5998 Bitcoin. Right now I'm sitting on $4800 and I'm just waiting for Bitcoin to go higher before selling it.