Black Adam (2021)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Rock is the modern day Arnold/Stallone. He has a handful of good films and a shitload of meh ones. I consider him a better actor than Arnie but worse than Stallone. He also has "same character" syndrome in that he acts the same way in most of his movies.

As for this, I have no real attachment to Black Adam so my main interest is because of the Shazam link.
His character in be cool was pretty great at the time since he was always taken serious. Then he became more of a comedy actor so now it doesn't seem so out of character

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Rundown and Jumanji were good Rock movies. Other Guys doesnt count as a Rock movie. This one will likely suck ass.

Xerge

<Donor>
Could care less about BA and more curious about how the introduction of the JSA will mesh with the Flash's movie since it's suppose to set up a new league with supergirl, the flash, and wonderwoman. Black Adam could be set in the current timeline due to the Amanda Waller appearance and hinting she's retaining her previous role of forming teams and dealing with shit. honestly after this movie the current DCEU will make zero fucking sense. maybe they're really pursuing the whole 'DCEU dark' timeline

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The Rock is the modern day Arnold/Stallone. He has a handful of good films and a shitload of meh ones. I consider him a better actor than Arnie but worse than Stallone. He also has "same character" syndrome in that he acts the same way in most of his movies.

As for this, I have no real attachment to Black Adam so my main interest is because of the Shazam link.

Not even close.

Stallone and Arnold both had strings of hits, drove people to theaters based on their name alone and both launched multiple original major franchises: Terminator, Predator, Conan, Rocky, Rambo, Expendables

DJ starred in 20 years of middling "hits" and mostly flops and hasnt built a single original franchise, choosing to do shitty remakes instead (Baywatch, Jumanji, etc.)

Dwayne Johnson is Dolph Lundgren but with a better agent.

• 5Like
  • 1Great Review
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
God the CGI is so terrible with DC, all the marvel projects have been a huge downgrade lately also. The CGI in Iron man is so much better and it was what 15 years ago?
Because when they made Iron man, the 10 studios they hired to do visual effects worked on one movie for years. Nowadays, the 15 Visual effects studios work on 4 movies and 3 TV shows for 6 months.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not even close.

Stallone and Arnold both had strings of hits, drove people to theaters based on their name alone and both launched multiple original major franchises: Terminator, Predator, Conan, Rocky, Rambo, Expendables

DJ starred in 20 years of middling "hits" and mostly flops and hasnt built a single original franchise, choosing to do shitty remakes instead (Baywatch, Jumanji, etc.)

Dwayne Johnson is Dolph Lundgren but with a better agent.

Nah the qualifier "modern day" is accurate. The genre's not what it was and there's too much content pumped out daily for anyone to dominate like Arnold did back in the day. You also have movies direct to streaming that's better then most of the theatrical releases.

If you want a giant musclebound action star who's charismatic and likeable he's the #1 go to

Animosity

DJ and Cena are like the only ones. But unlike the Arnold and Stallone days, you have to make campy comedy action flicks that all have Kevin Hart in them.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
tickets have gone on sale everywhere, opens oct 21st

some redditors posted after test screenings and said it was pretty meh, i have zero interest in new superhero movies unless its crazy and new and connected to something bigger. I'll watch at home in 2-3 months but go out to theaters for more DC trash? pass

Some twitter posts did say a spoiler about the post credits scene, but i honestly can't tell if its trolling or real
Henry Cavill shows up as Superman.

uh... who cares anymore? There is no indication they are working on anything Superman related right now, they still are looking to hire their version of Kevin Feige.

Animosity

Will wait for this to get on HBO Max by Xmas.
If you even have to wait that long. I think the last 4-5 movies I paid to see, all ended up on streaming 3 weeks later. Would of saved me a lot of time and money.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
There's a part of me that wants to see this in theaters.... But I'm pretty sure I'll also be on the HBO Max train.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'll see it in theaters if time permits. I like DC's general vibe of being slightly dark movies compared to the Marvel gigglefests, and I have a feeling this'll finally be a decent DJ movie. I also got Snitch from the library on somebody's recommendation, hopefully he's good in that.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Eh. I saw an article saying Rock bullied them into getting Cavill in the movie and that they signed him to a new contract including a new Supes movie. However I would be surprised if something like that wasn't leaked or announced officially.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Eh. I saw an article saying Rock bullied them into getting Cavill in the movie and that they signed him to a new contract including a new Supes movie. However I would be surprised if something like that wasn't leaked or announced officially.

Trade magazines put out the exact opposite story saying Rock's heavy involvement in every aspect of Black Adam is relatively unprecedented for DC and that Rock having the exact same management as Cavill pretty much scuttled any opportunity of getting Cavill in the movie. Rock's agent would do everything they can for Rock pertaining to Black Adam, and they mentioned that includes keeping Cavill off of the movie-- ironically enough. So it doesn't really matter what Rock wants if his agent dealing with the studio is doing everything for Rock, while Cavill is repped by the same people. It's either all about Rock or it isn't. And this article cited that as the real sticking point to getting Cavill into Black Adam. It was strongly suggested Henry Cavill drop his management and replace it with a company that doesn't represent the Rock.

This predates any recent rumors however. If there are any new rumors of Cavill I'm unaware of it.

• 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
If any other hero should appear in Black Adam it should be Captain Marvel, not Supes.

• 1Worf

Homsar

Trade magazines put out the exact opposite story saying Rock's heavy involvement in every aspect of Black Adam is relatively unprecedented for DC and that Rock having the exact same management as Cavill pretty much scuttled any opportunity of getting Cavill in the movie. Rock's agent would do everything they can for Rock pertaining to Black Adam, and they mentioned that includes keeping Cavill off of the movie-- ironically enough. So it doesn't really matter what Rock wants if his agent dealing with the studio is doing everything for Rock, while Cavill is repped by the same people. It's either all about Rock or it isn't. And this article cited that as the real sticking point to getting Cavill into Black Adam. It was strongly suggested Henry Cavill drop his management and replace it with a company that doesn't represent the Rock.

This predates any recent rumors however. If there are any new rumors of Cavill I'm unaware of it.
Cavill will always try to fill the role and make an appearance