Black Adam (2021)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It also used to be that, outside of the X-Men, DC had better notoriety and presence of characters to non-comic reading people. The MCU changed all that and Marvel is just bigger now in all areas. DC couldn't keep up, and when they tried, they rushed and half assed it. Even with Marvel giving them the perfect template for success.

Imagine a different world where DC followed that template, and by now their average movie was as big, or bigger, than Marvel's average movie. Superman and Batman up there with Spider-Man numbers, the latest Justice League ensemble (JL2, probably) nearly hitting Infinity War numbers and being the third-highest grossing super hero movie ever, with audiences flocking to see the Justice League take on Brainiac and more setup for Darkseid's eventual arrival.

And now, there are rumblings in the media world. Marvel and DC are in talks for a crossover movie, Justice League and Avengers teaming up for a multiverse movie where the DC characters appear in the Marvel world to help them deal with a multiversal threat.

Projections have the Justice Avengers movie doing $3.8 billion worldwide (almost 2 for each studio) and the wait is unbearable.

Well, wake up, cause we'll never get that, but we might have if DC were on the same level as Marvel. As it is now they'd be propping DC up and throwing them a lifeboat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sure to anyone over like 65 years old.

View attachment 440954

Side note, anyone else driven nuts by how goddamn inaccurate this world map is? And it's used EVERYWHERE.

Sweden is not longer than India. The southern hemisphere is not one third the size of the northern hemisphere. South America and Africa are both much bigger than they look here. Greenland is not huge, much less huger than Africa. Siberia and northern Canada are both overinflated to the point of ridiculousness.

We mock flat earthers for believing the flat earth stuff, yet we turn around and all use these wildly inaccurate world maps that were probably designed by the British to make Europe seem bigger and more important than everything else.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Might check this out when it gets to streaming I already pay for. It looks fun kinda but like others have said as a casual I only know black Adam from the Injustice games and the legendary DC MMO intro cinematic where he breaks green lantern's hand and superman eats his punches like it's underwater.

Rock makes movies that some folks like. He tends to play the exact same character on every movie though.

Also: lulz at this spiderman argument. Popularity fluctuates over time. Bet if you googled Iron man when endgame came out he would have been number one; or Wolverine when Logan released. C'mon kids; play nice.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
yup. my grandpa told me yarns about Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton as Supes and Bats. gotta be over 65 to remember them.
I remember 1st Gen Bats. Jack Nicholson Joker was excellent (for the time), but it now pathetic. Go dance some more, faggot.

• 2Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry mr wizard didnt know you wrote your doctorate thesis on captain marvels movie production.

I wasnt talking about presales, i meant actual ordering tickets online for the movie, for the handful of weeks this shit was in theaters.

Like i said i have no idea what the fuck disney did to get the box office numbers on this trash up but it sure as fuck was not customers buying tickets and watching it in theaters. Sorry i didnt save the thousand of photos which showed the empty theater phenomenon, but they sure as fuck were captain marvel, the screens showed the film? Unless you think they photoshopped them all?

If you are saying this movie had more trailer views than bp or any other movie then yeah i am going to call bullshit on that. Idk if your recollection is accurate or if they just fucked with youtube views, either way.

This movie didn't have shit for positive vibes on social media. All it had was whine pieces just like ghost busters.

I dont know for sure what happened, only thing I know for 100% certainty is the box office numbers were bullshit and there were tons of empty seats in theaters.
You've caught astrocreep. Please proceed back to the house of the dragon to sperg out.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Pretty sure Spider-Man tops both of those now. This generation that grew up with the MCU for sure no more Marvel stuff than anything DC. My nephews, for example, are just unenthused by Batman and Superman. I have even bought them the Superman and Batman animated series. They also don't enjoy the DC stuff, probably cuz it's too dark for them.

That's why I said "well known' and not "favorite"

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Side note, anyone else driven nuts by how goddamn inaccurate this world map is? And it's used EVERYWHERE.

Sweden is not longer than India. The southern hemisphere is not one third the size of the northern hemisphere. South America and Africa are both much bigger than they look here. Greenland is not huge, much less huger than Africa. Siberia and northern Canada are both overinflated to the point of ridiculousness.

We mock flat earthers for believing the flat earth stuff, yet we turn around and all use these wildly inaccurate world maps that were probably designed by the British to make Europe seem bigger and more important than everything else.

Always reminds me of this scene from West Wing

• 1Worf

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

It's a result of projecting a curved three dimensional surface onto a two dimensional one. It's a math problem and what we have is one of the better solutions.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure Canada the leftistdumpsterfireland is in love with Chris "liberal" Evans, not Captain "fuck yeah" America.

• 2Like

Goatface

still think it will do better in weekend #3 and will probably gain $500k to $1m on eternals. sorta interesting, in weekend 2, black adam only did $2.2m more than shazam's 2nd weekend, after opening $13.5m higher. it could end up only doing $10m-20m more than shazam.
was sorta close, BA passed eternals by $1.28m this weekend, bring it to $137m. guess the biggest news is that is has earned $182m internationally and will open in china next weekend. guess it could do $150m to $200m there. bp2 doesn't have a release date there yet.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
was sorta close, BA passed eternals by $1.28m this weekend, bring it to $137m. guess the biggest news is that is has earned $182m internationally and will open in china next weekend. guess it could do $150m to $200m there. bp2 doesn't have a release date there yet.
China is boycotting Marvel.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's a sore spot for Marvel. It's been kept quiet each movie release.

"We're sure they'll get a release date soon"

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its doing pretty good after 3 weeks. probably end up making money.
Per Variety, over its third weekend at the domestic box office, Black Adam has reached a cumulative total gross of $137.3 million. Already it has grossed more than double that of the previous DCU film The Suicide Squad, which made $55 million domestically over its entire run in 2021. However, considering the fact that Black Adam comes with a $200 million price tag before factoring in publicity, there is still quite a way to go before the film ends up in the black.
Currently, Black Adam's box office run is standing at a total worldwide gross of $250 million. While that accounts for the initial reported budget of the film, when publicity is factored in, that could mean that the film may need to reach $400 million or more before it breaks even. At the very least, it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that it could reach that mark.

spronk

FPS noob
i believe black adam has been banned in china due to pierce brosnan

the movie will not be profitable in theaters.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
its doing pretty good after 3 weeks. probably end up making money.
Per Variety, over its third weekend at the domestic box office, Black Adam has reached a cumulative total gross of $137.3 million. Already it has grossed more than double that of the previous DCU film The Suicide Squad, which made $55 million domestically over its entire run in 2021. However, considering the fact that Black Adam comes with a $200 million price tag before factoring in publicity, there is still quite a way to go before the film ends up in the black.
Currently, Black Adam's box office run is standing at a total worldwide gross of $250 million. While that accounts for the initial reported budget of the film, when publicity is factored in, that could mean that the film may need to reach $400 million or more before it breaks even. At the very least, it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that it could reach that mark.

Didn't Suicide Squad release on HBO at the same time?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The third weekend drop is pretty good for it but I don't see that longevity continuing once black panther releases. A 175 million domestic run was at the high end of the pre-release predictions so they have to feel somewhat okay about that.

Losing China will be huge for their bottom line if indeed that has happened. The Rock is actually pretty big in China. That shitty Rampage movie made 156M over there and the equally shitty Skyscraper just under 100M.

• 1Like