Black Adam (2021)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Saw the movie this weekend on HBO Max with some friends. It was ok.

I honestly went in to this movie expecting typical Hollywood bullshit. I was surprised to find a semi-ok movie if you just want some super hero action crap.

Turn off your brain for an hour, and you can have something to watch for free if you happen to already have HBO Max. I wouldn't have liked to have spent money at the theatre to see this movie though.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was expecting a much worse movie from this thread, but I was entertained throughout it. Not sure I could watch it on tv whenever I saw it like ironman, but seeing someone literally kill anyone and everyone it's about damn time.

Only thing I didn't like about this was Fate being.... a lot less powerful. Dude could teleport, making the plane not necessary, also he could likely just teleport big bad into the sun or something equally effective.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn’t even make it 20 minutes. Just turned it off after the action sequence where he is released/wakes up.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
its really not bad, its just been done too many times before.
I'd put it at the same level as Captain Marvel. It is nothing special, just boring. What people want to see with The Rock is not some boring tough guy. They want the witty one liner bad ass character he usually plays.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
The one question I have about this movie has to do with the reveal at the end of the credits.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that was Henry Cavill as Superman they showed in that end credits reveal. They obviously shot this long ago before all of the hoopla came about with Cavill quitting The Witcher series, but I'm pretty sure I recently saw that it was announced that Cavill will not be playing Superman in the next movie.

So... Did we see a lead in to a new Superman movie with an actor that wont even be playing the part in it lol. If so, that's some funny shit right there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The one question I have about this movie has to do with the reveal at the end of the credits.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that was Henry Cavill as Superman they showed in that end credits reveal. They obviously shot this long ago before all of the hoopla came about with Cavill quitting The Witcher series, but I'm pretty sure I recently saw that it was announced that Cavill will not be playing Superman in the next movie.

So... Did we see a lead in to a new Superman movie with an actor that wont even be playing the part in it lol. If so, that's some funny shit right there.
No reason to spoiler. Anyway, Rock used his star power to force WB to bring Cavill back as Supes and to "commit" to a Man of Steel 2. He wanted a Supes vs Black Adam showdown. Mainly because he thought of Shazam/Zachary Levi as not on his star level. Then WB got sold and then they brought in Gunn to take over the mess. Then Black Adam made no money while Rock blamed WB saying how they aren't being truthful and that it made like 50-75 million.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
No reason to spoiler. Anyway, Rock used his star power to force WB to bring Cavill back as Supes and to "commit" to a Man of Steel 2. He wanted a Supes vs Black Adam showdown. Mainly because he thought of Shazam/Zachary Levi as not on his star level. Then WB got sold and then they brought in Gunn to take over the mess. Then Black Adam made no money while Rock blamed WB saying how they aren't being truthful and that it made like 50-75 million.
Holy hell... I'm assuming that there literally is no forth coming movie to go along with the end-of-credits reveal then which makes them look even more stupid for having that it in there.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Holy hell... I'm assuming that there literally is no forth coming movie to go along with the end-of-credits reveal then which makes them look even more stupid for having that it in there.
Yep. Cavill was paid to make a scene for the upcoming Flash movie and that was just taken out as well.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
To be honest though, I would have watched Black Adam beat up Superman movie. I never was a big Superman fanboy. Hmmm... maybe even a twist where Black Adam ends up dating Wonder Woman after kicking Superman's ass and a scene where Batman could help Superman win, but says fuck it and just walks the other way. We're talking good shit here at that point.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

What rock have you been living under?

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
The Rock is a poor mans Schwarzenegger, change my mind.

Missing the charisma, sex scandals, memorable one-liners, etc.. Not to mention the leading man potential to head blockbusters on his own without franchise or buddy-comedy support from better/funnier actors.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yea Arnold didn't need experienced people in comedy to play off of. They could stuff normal wallpaper in an Arnold movie and he'd carry it himself.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yea Arnold didn't need experienced people in comedy to play off of. They could stuff normal wallpaper in an Arnold movie and he'd carry it himself.
R.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As I think about the movie, one serious flaw is having the Rock be totally one dimensional. He may not be Oscar material, but his niche is having those looks, condescending jokes and snarky comments. Its part of his appeal. They made a half-hearted attempt with a knockoff version of Drax with his late bits with Fate but it was too little too late.

This role took that away and replaced it with.. nothing new.
I could be in the minority on this one, but one of my favorite Rock movies is Faster. His mood in that movie ranges from pissed off to super pissed off. That's it. And it is glorious.

I think it was just that this wasn't a very good movie, and had peripheral characters that no one gives a shit about, except perhaps Dr. Fate. Even though I think she's hot as fuck, if the chick died I wouldn't have cared. I was actively rooting for the kid to get his skateboard shoved up his ass. Hawkman, Atom Smasher, and Twister/Cylone/whatever could have all been absent or replaced with someone else and it wouldn't have mattered. Couple that with stupid shit for the sake of being stupid, and I doubt it would have mattered if The Rock had turned in the performance of his life, it was still a mediocre movie and no one really cares.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I could be in the minority on this one, but one of my favorite Rock movies is Faster. His mood in that movie ranges from pissed off to super pissed off. That's it. And it is glorious.

I think it was just that this wasn't a very good movie, and had peripheral characters that no one gives a shit about, except perhaps Dr. Fate. Even though I think she's hot as fuck, if the chick died I wouldn't have cared. I was actively rooting for the kid to get his skateboard shoved up his ass. Hawkman, Atom Smasher, and Twister/Cylone/whatever could have all been absent or replaced with someone else and it wouldn't have mattered. Couple that with stupid shit for the sake of being stupid, and I doubt it would have mattered if The Rock had turned in the performance of his life, it was still a mediocre movie and no one really cares.
How ironic is it that most peeps I know think the Hero they killed was the best character in the movie.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Lol holy shit. This was a 260 million dollar movie?

The latest report on the future of the Black Adam franchise notes that the film’s $391 million box office turnout might have been sufficient had it not been for a number of problems — one of which was the film’s budget. Originally set at $190 million, the report mentions that costs for the film quickly shot up to $260 million following a 20-day round of reshoots that stemmed from a poor test screening.

Marketing costs were also not included in the final tally, but due to just how much the film was marketed, it’s likely that the numbers for that were fairly high as well. That, combined with the rumored $70 million cost for reshoots, means the film won’t turn a profit from just its theatrical run.

While previous reports have cited that the potential for future films might have helped Warner Bros. Discovery recoup that cost, with the future of the franchise now looking bleak following the changes occurring at DC, it seems like Black Adam will just have to be chalked up as a disappointment for the time being.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Even for free on HBO app this was shit. That kid with the skateboard was fucking terrible. Atom Smasher and Cyclone were worthless. Dr. Fate was the best part and he died of course.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users