Black Desert

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It is worth creating a character just to see how good character creators can get. Maybe explore a little and see a sunset. It's a pretty world.

The gameplay is terrible though. Very spammy actiony YAA YAAA YAAAA combat. Spaz on keys and stuff falls over. There's crafting and transportation of goods and fishing and such but it has the complexity of a web / mobile game.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have never played this and there doesnt seem to be much movement on this thread which has me worried. Is this game worth playing?
Sure, once you find the class that just feels right for you. It is quick and easy to level up to 56 (when your class gets awakened - new skills, stronger, etc), but after 56 the fun factor kinda falls off because of the grind that gets progressively worse. Lifeskills are interesting in that you can setup a commercial empire where your workers gather materials / craft items which you can sell. So yea, its worth playing to see if you like it at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Be prepared to blow $40 on pets, or don't and get carpal tunnel from looting 50 corpses a minute.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have never played this and there doesnt seem to be much movement on this thread which has me worried. Is this game worth playing?

Earlier in this thread someone else said it best when they said that BD was the best game they'd ever played that they couldn't recommend to someone else. That's exactly the way I feel about it. Summer before last I spent that entire Summer playing BD and there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much to like about the game, but inevitably you see behind the curtain and the game drops off dramatically in appeal. Not to mention the gearing system is inherently masochistic. Unlike what one or two other posters have said, the combat system is fabulous and really the primary reason I played as long as I did.

However, I will say it's worth the price of entry, but this game has a relatively short player life-span for an "MMO." You'll likely really enjoy your first 2-4 months and then either get jaded, bored, or realize there's no point to what you're doing.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
BDO has the most entertaining and complex combat of any MMO I've played. It is however quite different from the standard MMO target->activate hotkey rotation combat that many people are expecting/used to and plenty of people don't like it.
BDO also has a large number of different systems which mostly interact with eachother in one way or another which plenty of people get enjoyment out of.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I dream that one day someone will make a BDO emulator based on before the pre-awakening patch and before they removed exp loss on pvp death.

• 1Barf

Cybsled

The world and graphics in BDO are great. Visiting a town/city feels like visiting a busy town/city with the clever way they use NPCs and ambient sound.

Sadly it is just another Korean grind fest /w lots of RNG bullshit, though.

• 2Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I dream that one day someone will make a BDO emulator based on before the pre-awakening patch and before they removed exp loss on pvp death.

I played this with PRX (Tuco Guild!)when it first came out. PVP death exp was one of the reasons I didn't make it past the first few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love a somewhat stiff death penalty to prevent just running back into the meatgrinder, but when you sell in the shop an instant rez item, it's just a cash grab at that point. I laughed at the guy in guild who spent over 2000 on pets, and another few hundred on these revive potions just to 'keep his grinding spot'. /shrug

Kiki

Log Wizard
I don't mind grinding, I don't mind xp loss, but the RNG part to upgrade gear and lose a month's worth of work was bullshit.

• 1Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
December might be a good time to start or get back into BDO; we will have all of Kamasylvia and the new class Mystic will be released. I haven't been playing for a couple months now, it will be kinda annoying when I start playing again for the Mystic and having to bank all the daily Family reward money I'll have in the mail.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
We already have all of Kama, 5th pet just got released. They have been adding a lot of the class balancing, though we are behind KR on lots of content for QoL upgrades but w/e the grind from 56-60 is easier now.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I havent really played this game other than for a week back in early 2016, so I have a char that is i think 53and behind on quests etc. However i've been pretty consistent on logging in and getting the attendance logins for much of the past year. So I havesomething like 300million silver from a buncha crap igot mailed to me and maybe another 500 million in items (stones etc some other forms of currency)based on the 'market value' number thats listed. Is this enough money to twink myself up? I'd like to kind of cruise into the endgame if possible (is there an end game?) so am looking for gear I can meltenemies with.

edit - i also dont have a horse, guessing i should get that first

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
You should have a horse, you get one from quests I'm pretty sure. If not yes you should get one. Just buy a cheap T5 or something off the market if nothing else.

Rewind

Trakanon Raider
I havent really played this game other than for a week back in early 2016, so I have a char that is i think 53and behind on quests etc. However i've been pretty consistent on logging in and getting the attendance logins for much of the past year. So I havesomething like 300million silver from a buncha crap igot mailed to me and maybe another 500 million in items (stones etc some other forms of currency)based on the 'market value' number thats listed. Is this enough money to twink myself up? I'd like to kind of cruise into the endgame if possible (is there an end game?) so am looking for gear I can meltenemies with.

edit - i also dont have a horse, guessing i should get that first

You should be able to buy/enchant gear to at least grind in Valencia, or the easier parts of Kamasylvia. Buy enhanced Grunil or Heve armor pieces from the marketplace (+15 or up, depending on budget PRI - TRI). For weapons, buy a +15 (or PRI - TRI), green should be okay, doesn't matter much. Rosar is a good general recommendation. Grind to 56 getting the Asula accessories. Buy or enhance an awakening weapon +15 or upwards. This should be enough for grinding Sausans or Bashims easily and by now, depending on goals and time to dedicate to the game, you'll know where to go.

However, some tips. Read up on the worker system and preferably quest to get contribution points. Don't neglect energy either, it's useful later when you'll "roll" at the night vendor for end-game pieces. Make a boss alt, preferably 56 with okay gear (+15 all around is a good start), prioritize Karanda, Kzarka and Dim Tree, but try to get as many kills in as possible on all of them. Join a guild that does what you prefer to do, whether it's fishing, nodewar etc, most guilds have useful passive lifeskill buffs. Do something when you're AFK (exit -> minimize to tray). Fishing is a good start, you'll get scrolls to sell or run in group for memory fragments (useful when enhancing end-game gear).

There are more detailed guides out there for pretty much everything I wrote, I'd recommend reading them if you're coming back to the game. Welcome back, by the way :)

Raes

Vyemm Raider
If you want t5 horses, just catch wild ones. It's not that hard, try the cliff area right next to Port Epheria.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I spent a shit load of time in this game starting sometime in the summer (2000 hours). But I realized that I hadn't actually been playing the game. 99% of it was afk. Mostly training horses. And then I was sitting there like, why the fuck am I even bothering?

Finally uninstalled it. It's a game for people that don't actually want to play a game. Or people that are so hardcore they'll stay logged in 24 hours a day to ensure they're min/maxing to the fullest.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like