Black Desert

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just loaded this up for some reason. Friend is into it, since just raid logging in Classic, so I thought I'd try it out. Heard it was super pay to win, but friend says that yes, but it's thousands of dollars, for just a few percent extra, so it's not a big deal.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Just loaded this up for some reason. Friend is into it, since just raid logging in Classic, so I thought I'd try it out. Heard it was super pay to win, but friend says that yes, but it's thousands of dollars, for just a few percent extra, so it's not a big deal.

There are actually several p2w things, one has to do with pets and leveling them, there's also cron stones from costumes, but the main one is Artisan Memory. Cash shop item that makes Memory Frags repair 5 durability instead of 1 on boss gear. That's pretty huge.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
It's huge but the cron stones from costumes is the real p2w but that only matters for the top 1% and you shouldn't worry about being competitive with them if you're just starting the game. There are definitely some things that are kinda 'required' spending tho, like pets.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The game throws so much free stuff at you as a new player that you'll not have to worry about spending anything on the game unless you really want too. If you get hooked, and see yourself playing for many months, then spending $60 on useful items will be natural. Cron stones from outfits as a source of p2w is a non issue, since its not at all difficult to get get an oufit off the Market now, but again, that is something most people won't have the resources or need to do anyway.

Edit: Like they made the Cliff Weapon feature permanent for all new and RETURNING players, everytime you come back from a break you can get a Cliff weapon and sell it for a hundred million.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Getting an outfit off the market cost 330 million silver each now, hardly chump change. If you're paying silver for cron stones you might as well just buy them from a vendor. It's about paying cash so you don't have to spend silver. Which is the same issue with Artisans. P2W is P2W. Are all these things P2W? Yes. Are they a big deal? No, not really. I mean it is a PVP game, but you can pretty much avoid that aspect if you want.

Cliff's weapon quest is not every time you return, it's three quests which let you choose main, sub, or awakening, and that's it. It's 3 quests once per account. And they sell for 150 mil for Duo, 300 mil at Tri and 700 mil for Tet. Selling them for 100 mil would be silly considering how easily you can enhance them.

So, yeah, if someone is not interested in going hardcore into guild battles, or trying to contest the best grinding spots, the P2W shit isn't really an issue. But, it still exist. I don't really have a problem with it. My main issues with the game are the RNG enhancing bullshit and the fact that it would be 100x better if it was a sandbox game.

Crone

Really enjoying things so far. I think like most people, I'm really enjoying the combat, the graphics, etc. Have no idea what I'm doing with the story, just chain running these quests, and using T to auto run me around. Bash on some mobs, and move on. Pretty great for that.

So I'm playing it through the Launcher, and it was free, but on Steam it's $10? Why? Buddy that I'm playing with says it's pretty grindy, so I was already thinking about loading it up on Steam Link, using a controller, and grinding it while laying in bed on my LG OLED?

Are the 2 platforms compatible? Or is it like FF14, where shits all weird if you try going between the clients?

Edit: Found out my answers with Google. Web and Steam versions are seperate in that the character progress doesn't transfer between the 2. I should still be able to use it via Steam Link, and I just have to enable controller mode in game. Will have to try out Big Picture mode in Steam and see if I can get it launched just fine without a mouse and keyboard first.

Last edited:

Crone

So what's the carrot on a stick? Played a Mystic, Archer, and Witch so far to low 20's to get a little feel for how they play. For sure like ranged DPS better. My Everquest circle kiting skills are legit used here! But nothing is really drawing me in. I'm blasting through the story, and don't give a shit. Was told it's terrible anyway. I guess I don't understand enough about the gearing system, or the game itself, to know what I'm even working towards.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Getting to level 56 is super fast, even 60 isn't too slow even for a newbie (and it's super fast if you're just rolling an alt after already being an established player with gear and whatnot). It's a grind MMO. Grind to make money to get better gear to grind higher spots to get better money to get better gear to grind higher spots to get better money and throw in some pvp (mostly at the very high end but I guess you might be able to get some at lower gears, I dunno, I haven't messed with the new node war system or looked at it to see the gear breakdowns for the different tiers). You can go down the lifeskill grind route instead of the monster grind route if you want but that's not my cup of tea so I don't know much about it but it's basically the same: grind to get better gear to grind faster to get better gear.

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
I am having troubles with getting into the game, I feel a tad overwhelmed with what seems like just a bunch of different systems in the game and have no clue what anything really is useful for.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am having troubles with getting into the game, I feel a tad overwhelmed with what seems like just a bunch of different systems in the game and have no clue what anything really is useful for.

It's a very tough game to get a handle on. I came back to the game a couple of months ago (played at launch) and still don't understand most of the systems.

But that kind of works for me, I like figuring things out. Joined a guild that doesn't have any requirements and just putz around doing life skill stuff mostly, since I don't have the time to get the gear necessary to pvp. And life skills have tons of systems. I picked one (horse training) and do that mostly. Set a the horse on afk auto path and go to work. If I have time on the weekends I run around and kill stuff with one of my toons, or maybe quest, or try to enhance some of my gear. Not in a hurry to get to 60 because I don't have the gear to pvp and won't for a long time.

Going to try sailing content after I get to a decent level in horse training. Want to kill some of the sea monsters and explore. That will keep me busy for a few months.

You can shorten your time to endgame content by spending a lot of money, but i don't recommend it. BDO is very good at opening your wallet. But if you are not in a hurry then there really isn't need to buy anything. Having a few pets is very helpful in picking stuff up but they even give you a couple of those for free.

Crone

83902eb250751a45302d0677b84a6ae9.png

Is there anyway that this can be hotkeyed other than hitting Control - RMB? I just learned how 'R' can be pressed to quickly speed through dialogue, and accept the next quests, so I wasn't sure if this step could be hotkeyed as well?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
83902eb250751a45302d0677b84a6ae9.png

Is there anyway that this can be hotkeyed other than hitting Control - RMB? I just learned how 'R' can be pressed to quickly speed through dialogue, and accept the next quests, so I wasn't sure if this step could be hotkeyed as well?
You can just press " , " to call up the Black Spirit at anytime, which in this case, would be doing what the quest asked you to do via RMB.

Crone

You can just press " , " to call up the Black Spirit at anytime, which in this case, would be doing what the quest asked you to do via RMB.
I knew about comma and black spirit. Not sure why I didn't think of this. Thanks!!

Crone

baa8f09bad8b3e4afd482e0fbe3671e8.jpg

Is this what people call crushed blacks? Happens quite a bit for me with this game, playing on Re-mastered mode. Any ideas why it just goes completely black?