Black Desert

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, the game goes out of its way to get you in full tet boss gear and lvl61, from there on though its grindy and expensive.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
And see it didnt used to do that. When it first came out it reminded me of Ultima Online in a strange way. You had an open world, anything could and did kill you, and there was tons of stuff to interact with. You had to be careful before you went up against "named" monsters (<violent>, <fast>, etc) when you were lower level, or they could kill you. It took you a while to get to 56; and 56 - 60 was tough. But it made you appreciate the areas you were in.
Now everything seems rushed. They push you to 61 as fast as possible, THEN the game starts. It is kind of sad, because there are so many good areas that are underutilized from 1-60.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's still a very good game. But they are the masters at getting you to spend outrageous amounts of money for pixels. The pet tier system (basically a slot machine) is the one that got me. Wasn't keeping track of things, and then came to realize I had spent hundreds. Fuck.

Still like the game and play it off and on. But it will be years before it sees my credit card again, if at all.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's still a very good game. But they are the masters at getting you to spend outrageous amounts of money for pixels. The pet tier system (basically a slot machine) is the one that got me. Wasn't keeping track of things, and then came to realize I had spent hundreds. Fuck.

Still like the game and play it off and on. But it will be years before it sees my credit card again, if at all.
Not trying to defend their Shop, but you can place a pre order on most, if not all, Shop items and usually end up getting it, like pets. They have a lot of events where players get rng boxes that include pets that if you place a PO for one them, you'll get most likely get it. I now have five t4 pets, and I think I've spent less than $60 on pets since the release of the game. I dislike their Shop and how much some items feel necessary, but you can get by without spending anything if you take advantage of the events and have a good grinder class or do lifeskills / bartering... all of which can make you billions of silver a month.

They kinda missed an opportunity with the Season server system by allowing players to farm up materials needed to enhance the Season gear, and to also allow a new Season character to use all the gear rewarded to players doing the Main Story quests for each region. You can have a fresh new Season character start off with around 200AP/250DP... which seems kinda stupid. Also, with the introduction of the Chenga Tome (available at lvl53) you can (if you want) just do quests from 56 to 61; hell, if you use the Chenga Tome on a new character and just do Main Story quests, you'll end up at around lvl57-58 after finishing Valencia 1.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have you guys tried the mobile game? After playing this I installed it and tried it out and everything has a "auto" mode where it does it for you. Pretty amazing, and what I wish the PC version had some of.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Not trying to defend their Shop, but you can place a pre order on most, if not all, Shop items and usually end up getting it, like pets. They have a lot of events where players get rng boxes that include pets that if you place a PO for one them, you'll get most likely get it. I now have five t4 pets, and I think I've spent less than $60 on pets since the release of the game. I dislike their Shop and how much some items feel necessary, but you can get by without spending anything if you take advantage of the events and have a good grinder class or do lifeskills / bartering... all of which can make you billions of silver a month.

They kinda missed an opportunity with the Season server system by allowing players to farm up materials needed to enhance the Season gear, and to also allow a new Season character to use all the gear rewarded to players doing the Main Story quests for each region. You can have a fresh new Season character start off with around 200AP/250DP... which seems kinda stupid. Also, with the introduction of the Chenga Tome (available at lvl53) you can (if you want) just do quests from 56 to 61; hell, if you use the Chenga Tome on a new character and just do Main Story quests, you'll end up at around lvl57-58 after finishing Valencia 1.
Yeah the Chenga tome is a godsend. With it, level 60-61 is easy and takes you about two hours in Kam. Just start doing the Kam side quests from the gargoyle area down to looney and weenie cabins and you her 61+ easy

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn, lots of changes coming to BDO.

New class coming on Dec 22, global release to go along with Winter Season (22nd as well):

Kakao will be dropping BDO as publisher in NA/EU, with Pearl Abyss finally taking over. Transfer process starts Jan 21st. Here is a reddit thread with a summary of info released during their dev stream event this morning:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Molten Core Raider
Fired this back up to collect the freebies and the new stuff looks interesting, but every time I come back I never seem to stick around too long. That gear enhancement system just sucks the fun completely out of this game.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fired this back up to collect the freebies and the new stuff looks interesting, but every time I come back I never seem to stick around too long. That gear enhancement system just sucks the fun completely out of this game.
I can't remember which summer it was but in '15 or '16 I poop-socked Black Desert for almost 4 months and I had a great time. The combat is genuinely orgasmic, but the gearing system is masochistic. The lack of a true 'dungeon' experience sucked, but once I accepted it was a different type of game I was ok with it.

Anyway, I could have tolerated a gear system where the chance to upgrade was incredibly low, but failing to upgrade AND being punished with a downgrade?

Fuck that noise.

That alone made me quit and decide to never log back in.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The enhancement system is still complete shit, but now it is a LOT easier to get full TET via Seasons, and pretty easy to earn enough silver to buy your way to TET accessories. During the Season you enhance a Season only set of gear: Weapons, Armor, and Acc with enhancement materials you earn while on a Season server / quests / events. Getting the Weapons and Armors to PEN isn't too bad (the TET to PEN is still shit though, tbh), and those PEN equal normal TET boss gear. The PEN accessories equal normal TRI boss accessories. At the end of the Season you can pick 1 of the items and convert it to a real boss gear, and if they still have the "after season" quest, you can earn another scroll that will convert another Season item into real boss gear. So if you don't already have full TET gear, doing a Seasonal character is a no brainer. Heck, there is even a vendor that will sell you a full set of TRI gear (except for accessories) for like 1 silver. The game is now extremely friendly to new / returning players.

Molten Core Raider
I think my problem is where Im at gear-wise. Im far from the top of the food-chain, but I have full TET boss armor and weapons and TRI accessories (pretty much all Tungrad if i recall correctly). To improve I've got to start taking those big leaps of faith with enhancing and risk the downgrades or gear explosions and it's just so hard to push that button.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think my problem is where Im at gear-wise. Im far from the top of the food-chain, but I have full TET boss armor and weapons and TRI accessories (pretty much all Tungrad if i recall correctly). To improve I've got to start taking those big leaps of faith with enhancing and risk the downgrades or gear explosions and it's just so hard to push that button.
True, but you can just buy TET accessories fairly easy, though TET Tungrads are a bit overpriced. The Season rewards (your first completion) gives you a PEN Capotia ring or earring, the ring is equal to a TET crescent. Getting TET rings / belt / earrings will cost around 6b each, and that isn't much... if you like playing the game.

Here is my current gear:
current.jpg

I made only 3 of those items myself: tet crescent, tet ogre, and tet blackstar. The pen armors / sub weapon are from a Seasonal character, the pen capotia ring was a Seasonal reward, the tet capotia earring was an event reward. The other tets were all bought, including Vell's Heart (alch stone). Total silver investment for that gear (not counting cost of enhancing Seasonal stuff) was probably around 15b over the past couple of years (I'm a casual player). I use the Seasons to make a set of backup gear, and to get 1 or 2 shots for PEN. No stress, and pretty fun.

Last edited:

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gearing is easier than its ever been now, between all the failstacks they give out and how easy it is to get silver either through grinding or lifeskills. I don't think there's a better sandbox out there at this point. You don't have to do anything you don't like, you can focus on one or multiple lifeskills and not grind at all if that's your thing. If you don't like the enhancing system like me, you can also just buy your upgrades and sell your old stuff (Not the season gear though). There's also a gear tagging system now which lets you have an alt tagged to your main that will get a copy of your mains gear set for a fee. The upcoming roadmap also looks promising, and I'm looking forward to playing the new winter season for more easy rewards.

Here's a general gearing guide post season. It's not a set in stone route, like you can skip the Heve, and reorder some things but it's not a bad upgrade route. At this point in the game it's not hard to make a couple hundred mil/day silver fresh off of the season server, and that will increase greatly as you level your lifeskills or get to Stars End / Sycraia grinding. Oh and lifeskills also have their own gearing route, basically loggia accessories -> manos accessories, magic tools -> manos tools, silver embroidered clothes -> manos clothes (some lifeskills will always use silver embroidered like cooking except for imperial turn ins).

gearingRoute.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So the seasons are just like POE or something, fast leveling and skilling, resets every so often?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the seasons are just like POE or something, fast leveling and skilling, resets every so often?
Pretty much, with a different end of season reward. Its extremely good for new or newish players.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well just PEN'd my kzarka wep with the hammers. They gave out so much free stuff today it's awesome.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have 2000 hours in this, of which I'd guess I only actively played maybe 100 hours. The rest was afk fishing or horse training or whatever else.

Game is way too grindy. Gave up after trying to farm world bosses and never got shit.

• 1Like

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So thinking of starting up for seasonal, played way back around release did ranger. Thinking archer for seasonal, but some of the videos I watched wizard is good? Any class recommendations? My goal would be to do able to do all the content pve/pvp, be useful in group pvp.