Black Desert

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What the hell? Thought I'd give this another shot, but quickly discovered you can only create one character? And if you want to delete it and start over, you have to wait 24 hours for deletion?
I thought the game starts you off at 3 character slots? Did you start a season character?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I thought the game starts you off at 3 character slots? Did you start a season character?
I don't think so. Characters aren't server specific, are they? Rather, no matter which server you choose all your characters come with?

EDIT: nevermind. it's confusing. Slots open up as you create a character. The wording made it think the one available slot was only for a season character.

Last edited:

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
As someone that likes to reuse names and reroll after coming back from a long hiatus, the 24 hour delete thing pisses me off too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
As someone that likes to reuse names and reroll after coming back from a long hiatus, the 24 hour delete thing pisses me off too.

That actually stopped me from coming back a few times. They'd release a new class that I thought looked cool and would log in only to find I had no slot left so I'd try to delete one and have to wait 24 hours and simply go "fuck it" and not play.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I’m not even sure the reasoning behind that. I’ve seen a couple games do it, all eastern I think. I guess to sell character slots? Pretty fucking weak sauce.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I’m not even sure the reasoning behind that. I’ve seen a couple games do it, all eastern I think. I guess to sell character slots? Pretty fucking weak sauce.
Reduces support load when Billy the retard clicks delete then types YES I'M SURE PLS DELETE THIS CHAR on the wrong char and then ask to get it restored. Also for ragequitters who go like FUCK I DIDN'T PEN THIS SHIT I'M OUTTA HERE then delete their chars, then sleep and the next day they wake up and feel the hollowness growing and regret it.

It's pretty fucking annoying though in other cases.

• 1Worf

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So I made it to 61 on the Corsair to complete the special rewards for the season for it. I wasn’t too happy with it though, so I used the Fughar Timepiece to switch season character, basically taking the combat and skill XP of the Corsair and transferring it to another character below level 25 I think, levelling it up all the way to 61 with all the skill XP, while keeping the Corsair at 61. Basically you get a second character to whatever level you level your seasonal character too.

For this process, I have decide to go with the most deadly and fearsome class of them all…the Shai.

Class trailer.

Talent trailer(Shai’s version of Awekening)

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Started messing with this due to friends insisting on NOT playing other options...

Combat is pretty fun, but movement in general is kind of janky. How's the Tamer for PVE? Also, is there a good site for builds or general skill recommendations?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started messing with this due to friends insisting on NOT playing other options...

Combat is pretty fun, but movement in general is kind of janky. How's the Tamer for PVE? Also, is there a good site for builds or general skill recommendations?

Class Discords are where good and reliable info at:

Class Discords Archer Join the BDO Archer Discord Discord Server!
Berserker Join the BDO Berserker discord Discord Server!
Corsair Join the BDO Corsair Discord Discord Server!
Dark Knight Join the BDO Shrine of Vedir Discord Server! and Join the BDO Dark Knight Discord Discord Server!
Guardian Join the BDO Guardian Discord Discord Server!
Hashashin Join the BDO Hashashin Discord Discord Server!
Lahn Join the BDO Lahn Discord Discord Server!
Musa/Maehwa Join the BDO Musa/Maehwa Discord Discord Server!
Ninja/Kuno Join the BDO Ninja/Kunoichi Discord Discord Server! and Join the ✦ BDO Ninja & Kunoichi Discord Discord Server!
Nova Join the Nova Class Discord Discord Server!
Ranger Join the BDO Ranger Discord🏹 Discord Server!
Sage Join the BDO Sage Discord Discord Server!
Shai Join the BDO Shai Discord Discord Server!
Sorc Join the Black Desert | Sorceress Discord Discord Server!
Striker/Mystic Join the BDO Striker/Mystic Discord Discord Server!
Tamer Join the BDO Tamer Discord Discord Server!
Valk Join the BDO Valkyrie Discord Discord Server!
Warrior Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities
Witch/Wizard Join the BDO Witch/Wizard Server Discord Server!

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I find it super casual. The game is mostly solo content, but there is group content out there you can do if you want. Play the game however you want, whether that is grinding mobs for an hour or several hour, or do some lifeskilling / sailing. The game throws softcap lvl gear at you pretty fast, but upgrading beyond that will take time / luck / patience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
General question: is this game casual friendly? I'm getting the vibe that this is a hardcore's paradise.
The game is as "hardcore" or casual as you want. BDO is probably one of the few truly "open world", adventure at your own pace games since EQ. It can absolutely be played casually, you just have to determine what type of game/goals you want.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Seasonal servers make it extremely easy to get into the game too, with a lot of rewards along the way combine with bonus XP and a fairly easy way to gear to a nice level.

The game is really nice for casual players like me although sometimes overwhelming because there’s so much to do and I can’t even come close to doing all I want. I sorta need to focus on a few activities.

As people said it’s pretty much as casual or as hardcore as you want it to be.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm getting sensory overload.
You have to understand that this isn't an MMO where shit just instantly gets invalidated all the time(like WoW and a new expansion, for instance). People have been playing this for YEARS, so expecting to get "caught up" to their level of progress is totally naive. As is expecting to do "ALL THE CONTENT NOW!!". This game is Korean, nearly every system is a grind. If you aren't prepared to make small, incremental progress, you're honestly probably not going to enjoy BDO. It's 100% about being the turtle in the race, not the hare.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You have to understand that this isn't an MMO where shit just instantly gets invalidated all the time(like WoW and a new expansion, for instance). People have been playing this for YEARS, so expecting to get "caught up" to their level of progress is totally naive. As is expecting to do "ALL THE CONTENT NOW!!". This game is Korean, nearly every system is a grind. If you aren't prepared to make small, incremental progress, you're honestly probably not going to enjoy BDO. It's 100% about being the turtle in the race, not the hare.
Okay, well I kind of equate not being casual friendly with grindy. I personally don't mind it, but I suspect my friends will buckle.

Anyway, do people use macro software (e.g. AutoHotKey, et. al.) for combos? My initial impression from the combo helper pop-up is, "good lord, I'm not going to remember all that".

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
My poopy gpu isn’t having a good time with this game and cranks up to dangerously high temps. :(

ShakyJake

<Donor>
My poopy gpu isn’t having a good time with this game and cranks up to dangerously high temps. :(
The character models looking absolutely amazing in the character creator, but in-game everything looks kind of meh. Is it my settings? The beginning area?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Okay, well I kind of equate not being casual friendly with grindy. I personally don't mind it, but I suspect my friends will buckle.

Anyway, do people use macro software (e.g. AutoHotKey, et. al.) for combos? My initial impression from the combo helper pop-up is, "good lord, I'm not going to remember all that".
Heh, you might want to save yourself some time then. I have a feeling they are going to hate it. Most "western" MMOs have been stuck in this mindset of CONSTANT gear/character progression and BDO is a game where you're just constantly making slow, incremental progress toward a goal(unless you're stupid and gamble it away on the enhancement system, invalidating weeks of work). I personally find that "casual friendly" as long as you have the right mindset/outlook at what is actually occurring, but many people have just been shaped too heavily by "recent" MMOs in order to comprehend that method of progression.

Once you get full PEN seasonal gear/Narcillian, you're typically looking at weeks of money grinding to afford upgrades at that point, as seasonal/Narcillian drops you in a weird area between TRI-TET boss gear/accessories. And as you slowly start getting accessories to TET, you're then looking at months between upgrades in order to get PEN. Boss armor is the same way, although PEN boss gear tends to be a lot more affordable than PEN accessories.

I've never really heard of people using AHK scripts for executing combos. I'd imagine it'd be wildly inefficient, but who knows. Eventually, combos start becoming part of muscle memory. At first it seems daunting, but after a month or so of play, I could execute most combos in my sleep on my Hash and Guardian. It became so ingrained/part of muscle memory, that I sometimes had issues NOT executing a combo when I just needed to do something basic. I'd honestly look up some combo guide videos though, as the "in-game" helper is absolute dogshit and there are a lot of skills that just aren't really worth using on a lot of classes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users