Black Desert

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Okay, well I kind of equate not being casual friendly with grindy. I personally don't mind it, but I suspect my friends will buckle.

Anyway, do people use macro software (e.g. AutoHotKey, et. al.) for combos? My initial impression from the combo helper pop-up is, "good lord, I'm not going to remember all that".

The complexity of combat depends a lot on which class you decide to play. For example Shai which I play is basically 2 attacks, 1 depletes mana, 2nd restore it, and a few buffs(there's more but that's all you really need). I've heard that the Striker is also pretty much brain dead to play and be very efficient with it, while other classes have very high skill ceiling to be any good. So be careful what you choose. Also, no matter the class you won't really need to use all the skills in your rotation so you don't need to learn everything.

As for the game being grindy, that's an interesting subject and largely depends on what you want out of the game. Mind you what I am about to say is mostly semantics at this point. Going through the season server from 1 to 61, and gearing in PEN Tuvala gear requires no grind....just play through the story and it will get you there..."DO NOT FORGET TO GET CHANGA TOME" at level 56 I think. This will allow you do about 90%+ of the game just fine, obviously not the most efficient but well enough. After that it's how you approach the game, I personally just play it because I enjoy all the different activities and eventually I get new upgrades, I don't see getting the upgrades as the reason for playing. That way, I never felt the grind, if your goal is Best in Slot and that's why you play...then the game will feel very grindy, tons of hours for small upgrades.

It's a sandbox game, tons of different things to do, different ways to achieve your goals...with that in mind, is the act of playing the game and enjoying the activities you do a grind?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I guess what I mean by "grind" is that the only way to progress is to kill packs of the same mobs over and over. But it's sounds like that's not really the case.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I guess what I mean by "grind" is that the only way to progress is to kill packs of the same mobs over and over. But it's sounds like that's not really the case.

No, there are a lot of ways to make progress in the game, grinding mobs being one of them, and often not the most efficient. :)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's not the "only way" to progress, but the game revolves around this general principle. It's also by FAR the fastest/most efficient. Once upon a time lifeskilling was decent income, but with the new grinding spots added (more on the way! lol), lifeskilling is a total waste of time now.

Once you finish season you can easily grind spots like Ronaros for around 100m silver/h. At that point, you're only about a month or so of "casual"(2-3 hours or so a night)grinding away from affording most of your TET accessories, at which point you can start grinding places like Star's End for around 200-300m silver/h (based on your luck with disto drops). Give that another month or two and you're now able to start grinding most of Hadum for the big money of 300+m silver/h.

You can also supplement that income with "passive" stuff like cooking boxes. The other methods of "passive" income are so wildly inefficient or slow that I wouldn't even bother after a certain point. I mean, I guess farming can be around 40-60+m silver/day or so, but it does require crop rotation and whatnot.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t know if it’s age or I was tired but I just did a 30 minutes trade run only to realize I forgot to put the goods in my cart and I had nothing to sell.

I think I’m going to go to bed early because tonight is not going to be productive. :)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Do my eyes deceive me, or do those sexy as hell apparel/outfits cost 30 bucks? And I assume they are only for that one class? And there is no way to convert silver into pearls? You literally have no choice but to spend real life dollars on this shit?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Do my eyes deceive me, or do those sexy as hell apparel/outfits cost 30 bucks? And I assume they are only for that one class? And there is no way to convert silver into pearls? You literally have no choice but to spend real life dollars on this shit?
You can put orders up on the marketplace for costumes, old moon books, kama blessings, value packs, etc. Problem is, it'll take them forever to fill. I think it took me a little over a month to finally get a 7 day old moon book on the market? You can also only have 1 "pearl" item preordered at a time. So, if you put in an order for a costume, you can't also put in an order for a pet without first removing your order for the costume.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can put orders up on the marketplace for costumes, old moon books, kama blessings, value packs, etc. Problem is, it'll take them forever to fill. I think it took me a little over a month to finally get a 7 day old moon book on the market? You can also only have 1 "pearl" item preordered at a time. So, if you put in an order for a costume, you can't also put in an order for a pet without first removing your order for the costume.

If you are looking to just melt them for cron stones then I usually just order whatever seems to sell a bunch of. Typically whatever warrior (or other popular class) outfit is on sale in the pearl shop can be picked up on the marketplace within a few hours. I think there was a premium outfit box on sale for 40 percent off this week, picked up 3 Goyen outfits last weekend and melted them.

If you are looking for a specific outfit for a specific class that can take a while. I usually wait until they are on sale and then advertise in chat hoping for a whale to buy one for me.

• 1Like

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Nice that they brought Terrmian and the Koi back again this summer. Makes for a nice AFK way to make some extra money for the guarantied PEN. I didnt get a chance to play it much, but it looks like they expanded it too.

Anyone try out the new dungeon yet? I'm hearing pretty mixed reviews so far.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice that they brought Terrmian and the Koi back again this summer. Makes for a nice AFK way to make some extra money for the guarantied PEN. I didnt get a chance to play it much, but it looks like they expanded it too.

Anyone try out the new dungeon yet? I'm hearing pretty mixed reviews so far.
I haven't tried it, but I think most people won't like it because its too involved. The playerbase, even those who said they wanted a dungeon, just want something simple and mindless to do but in a group / instanced setting. They have been conditioned to like this after years of solo grinding. If PA can make Terror of the Depths fun, interesting and rewarding people will orgasm over it because it will be an instanced challenge.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
They have been conditioned to like this after years of solo grinding.
Yeah that's a question I have, after having played the game for about a week or so now. Quest objectives don't appear to be shared. Is there any reason to group up at low levels?

Also, the combat while flash and fun, there doesn't appear to be any real reason to execute combos other than it looks cool? I can just as easily slaughter shit by mashing buttons. I assume this does change at later stages?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think all the MSQ's for the various regions are Character lvl, while many side quests / dailies / weeklies are Family. I think most "Kill X" quests are Group friendly, if you're in Seasons, you'll see lots of people asking for a group to do the Weekly. Any quest that involves getting Knowledge is Family in that if you have an alt do that same quest at a later date, it will auto complete. Grouping at lower levels is entirely optional, but can be useful if everyone has low weight / inventory since you can setup loot rules to automatically place gear drops up on the Market, with the sales being split between group members (but this kinda sucks since the items are listed at Min price).

Low level grinding is all about learning what flows into what and setting up muscle memory. Prior to like 51, even in quest only gear, you'll kill stuff easily. When you hit Mediah you'll notice your dmg fall off and you might want to use combos. At that point its about upgrading your gear to get back to killing stuff as easily as possible. Late game grind spots will be where you'll be using the combos your best at using to take advantage of the Skill Addons that start being available at 52 (can give yourself lots of buffs).

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's a question I have, after having played the game for about a week or so now. Quest objectives don't appear to be shared. Is there any reason to group up at low levels?

Also, the combat while flash and fun, there doesn't appear to be any real reason to execute combos other than it looks cool? I can just as easily slaughter shit by mashing buttons. I assume this does change at later stages?
Skill addons will change things a lot for you. Combos are absolutely necessary in the later stages of the game, yes. It's best to get your muscle memory built for those asap.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
N9Q5p7o.jpg

• 1Worf

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My guess is someone really wanted a Gunblade in BDO, but since past Dev's "never a gun class" and an actual Gunblade class in FFxiv, we get this:

Looks pretty comical, so its probably OP.

• 1Like

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
I’m all for attack otters, but it looks fairly clunky. I wonder how this will be for grinding compared to her normal mermaid attacks which like nova are pretty movement dependent

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I dunno but I'm looking for a class to exchange my Corsair Tuvala to after seeing the trailer. Maybe it will play better than it looks but I'm very meh on f'n otters.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno but I'm looking for a class to exchange my Corsair Tuvala to after seeing the trailer. Maybe it will play better than it looks but I'm very meh on f'n otters.
Have you used Fughars Timepiece yet? If not, don't graduate until -after- you've used it to get a new class/character at whatever lvl your Corsair currently is; like if your Corsair is 61, you can use the Timepiece to make a sub-25 character into a lvl61 while keeping your Corsair at 61. Using the Timepiece just swaps the new character into a Season, and the Corsair into a Normal.

• 1Like

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Have you used Fughars Timepiece yet? If not, don't graduate until -after- you've used it to get a new class/character at whatever lvl your Corsair currently is; like if your Corsair is 61, you can use the Timepiece to make a sub-25 character into a lvl61 while keeping your Corsair at 61. Using the Timepiece just swaps the new character into a Season, and the Corsair into a Normal.
That’s been a pretty nice addition to seasons this time around. Went ahead and got Sage to 61 just to try it out.