Black Desert

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand views like this. Were you not having any fun?
My problem isn't with the game so much as my self discipline. This isn't the grown up forum, so I'll spoiler my feels:

I meandered around a lot in my explanation, but the gist of it is that I'm being a lazy shit head IRL because of BD. I'm convincing myself that I'm getting so much done thanks to the innumerable tasks and progress oriented activities BD has to offer. While it's true that I'm accomplishing a lot, what I'm doing has no real value, just entertainment. Unfortunately, the days of me being able to dedicate part-time job level of hours to entertainment are gone for the foreseeable future, but that didn't stop me from playing as though I had nothing better to do.

So yeah, for the most part I was having a lot of fun, but that video convinced me that the grind is never ending. That's a real problem for someone like me who is subconsciously racing towards a finish line. For whatever reason this game was hooking me as hard as vanilla EQ, but I'm 30 now, not 13. I can't do that again.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
My problem isn't with the game so much as my self discipline. This isn't the grown up forum, so I'll spoiler my feels:

I meandered around a lot in my explanation, but the gist of it is that I'm being a lazy shit head IRL because of BD. I'm convincing myself that I'm getting so much done thanks to the innumerable tasks and progress oriented activities BD has to offer. While it's true that I'm accomplishing a lot, what I'm doing has no real value, just entertainment. Unfortunately, the days of me being able to dedicate part-time job level of hours to entertainment are gone for the foreseeable future, but that didn't stop me from playing as though I had nothing better to do.

So yeah, for the most part I was having a lot of fun, but that video convinced me that the grind is never ending. That's a real problem for someone like me who is subconsciously racing towards a finish line. For whatever reason this game was hooking me as hard as vanilla EQ, but I'm 30 now, not 13. I can't do that again.
I can understand that, as a fellow 30 year old (who's freshly married and also works full time and is in grad school) :p

I'm lucky if I can put 10 hours/week into hobbies now. Then again, I probably would have already burned out on BDO if I had shitloads of hours to play it as I did in the past.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I now have two Tier 5 horses, Trigger Warning and Orangina. If I level them both to say, level 15 and then hit the make babies button I can get a Tier 6 maybe?

tarb

Trakanon Raider
So I now have two Tier 5 horses, Trigger Warning and Orangina. If I level them both to say, level 15 and then hit the make babies button I can get a Tier 6 maybe?
I would never breed a horse below level 25 and expect good results, try this calculator and you will see the percentages of what you can get with what you breed, results are always better with higher level horses.http://www.blackd.de/horse/

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Damn, is there a trick to leveling horses? Mine's been like 15 for the last 900 miles.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Damn, is there a trick to leveling horses? Mine's been like 15 for the last 900 miles.
Auto pathing through town (watch it for a couple loops to make sure you aren't getting stuck on something; the autopath seems to have different/worse pathing than normal). Also you can buy a Trainer costume and enhance it to +1 (it has a relatively high chance of success) for a bonus 10% horse exp. I suggest buying a saddle for the bonus stamina (only really relevant for lower levels) and blue carrots from the marketplace (or grow them yourself). When you're Auto looping make sure you click the checkbox that feeds your horse a carrot when the stamina reaches >10% stamina.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's no perfect game, every game has its own flaws. But BDO has much more merits than flaws, for the fact that it gave me over two months of enjoyment is on and off itself a huge success. There are a few problems with the game though, like what the guy on that video said the grind is effortless and boring. It's because monsters offer no challenge the game is, starting from your very first level, is about collecting a horde of monsters and popping them. Collect a horde, and pop them... rinse and repeat. No challenge, no variety. Every new group of monsters you fight are the same, you don't feel any difference. You don't feel you're righting different classes aside from ranged/melee guys. This is due to the almost role-less class system they have. I'm not sure if Action Combat really limits the creativity of having classes with different roles (I think TERA had healers and support?) but if the PvE content is nothing but a mindless horde collecting and you spend most of your time grinding PvE then you definitely are going to have some problems there.

World Bosses are a joke; just like what the guy in the video said. There's really no strategy involved in it. Everything is a zerg fest. Shoot the boss until it dies and die several times doing so. Pray that you're in the top 20 damage dealers for the loot. I don't really find this entertaining.

It's a shame since the game is pretty good and I'm still playing it on daily basis and I spent way too much time on it. But mostly I do my Black Spirit Dailies, CP Dailies and help with Guild Missions. PvP is well done to be honest (small scale battles; not fan of large scale pvp). But I just wish the game offered a better group oriented PvE experience, it would have been perfect.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Saying all the mobs are the same there are no variety is just as inaccurate as saying that there are no dungeons.

If you are only concerned with grinding efficiency you will choose the path of least resistance, which is most often overland zones filled with highly concentrated weak mobs for you to AOE. That's fine if your primary concern is xp/hour. But it's rather disingenuous to turn around and claim that that's all the game has.

it's just like quests. The game has tons of repeatable daily quests for cp farming. If you are trying to maximize your CP you'll probably spend a lot of time cleaning chimneys and other monotonous bullshit daily. That's fine if your goal is max cp/hour. And it's fine if you wanna complain that the optimal min/max route is boring.

Me however, when I decide I wanna do quests I prefer the long multipart chain quest lines that take me all over the world and learn cool or interesting things. I hate collect bear ass quests and am glad this game doesn't pretend like you are collecting those bear asses for some noble purpose. The quests I like to do, are ones where i'd actually give a shit enough to read the quest text.

but if you come in here and say "This game only has run this errand clean this chimney kill 100 X" then you'd be wrong.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Kill some Helms, then go kill Frenzied Skeletons and "Collect a horde, and pop them... rinse and repeat" -- bonus points if you do it on a melee class.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Find an area with a path that easily circles around with a few clicks. Alt-click along the map until you circle around back to your starting point, when the line turns green. Turn on auto-run, and watch to make sure path complete without issues. Make sure to click the checkbox for auto-carrot use and have plenty of them in your inventory. Higher level horses you might want to invest in blue/green carrots, just because they give a greater stamina boost and hence need to be used less often, but you can get by with ones from the shop. Then minimize game (disconnect, send game to tray) and go to bed/work. Wake up in the morning/come home from work with a higher level horse than when you left. The method is best done via sub-45 alt so you can't get killed. If you're insistent on doing it on your main, there's a path in Heidel people use. Hard to miss.

The horse breeding calculator has good estimates on time to level. Higher Tiers obviously need a lot of time.

But, now that we're into the effort for Tier 7s, you're starting to see more and more Tier 5/6 horses show up on the market. So if you don't want to actually go through the breeding process to get a high Tier horse, that's an option, albeit an expensive one.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This game is mind blowing, in both good and bad ways. I don't think I felt this lost since my first few weeks in an MMO for the first time. I am kind of sad I didn't pick this up at launch. Made a wizard to go against what I normally play, then I saw they can be built for support so that sealed it for me.

Edit: Also should I get the explorers package for the Tier 3 horse/flute or are those cheap to purchase in game?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I started playing a tamer but my play time is super low. Level 50 now.

Tamer is incredibly fun but I keep coming back to thinking about my zerker. I wish zerkers were more fun to play. I only wonder if the awakening will be fun to play (even if it's powerful). I don't know if I want to plug away to 56 as a zerker.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Anyone play on a laptop? I'm thinking about getting one to play the game on for when I'm travelling a week at a time.

I need something lightweight for travelling and doesn't cost a shit load. Game has to work well but I don't need to play it at max graphics.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone play on a laptop? I'm thinking about getting one to play the game on for when I'm travelling a week at a time.

I need something lightweight for travelling and doesn't cost a shit load. Game has to work well but I don't need to play it at max graphics.
As a man that recent bought a laptop for his wife I can tell you lightweight/powerful/cheap does not exist, have to pick two.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider

Hatorade is right, you aren't going to find all three together and depending on what your idea of cheap, lightweight and powerful are you might not find even two of them. What are you looking to spend and what do you consider lightweight?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
New Dell XPS 15 is like a bigger XPS 13 with a dedicated GPU. Pretty slick and it ran Witcher 3 well enough. Not a dedicated gaming laptop but it's a nice balance and doesn't look designed for a angsty teenagers.

Never bought BDO so not sure how it runs it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Put it this way, what is the least powerful laptop that can run this game that isn't a giant brick. I'm not asking you to configure it for me, just asking if people have experience with something.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
That's actually the one I was going to link, the other being the Alienware 17, both are about $1300 but the Alienware "only" weighs 7lbs. I think the Gigabyte is 10lbs, actually.

If you go less powerful you can get thisAmazon.com: ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 15-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 2GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1TB (ROG Metallic): Computers Accessorieswhich is only $1000 and about 5lbs. If you get this one I'd pay the extra $100 and get the upgraded model.

The last one was used by a guy playing on the foriegn servers and he claimed it played pretty well at med-high.