Black Desert

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The difference for me is the grind in BDO is the grind to PvP better which for some reason is not very satisfying for me. There is no PvE carrot and that is what burns people out like me where PvP wasn't the main focus or goal.

This.

I prefer PvP that doesn't focus on levels and gear so much. Skill should always have a chance to prevail. Which eliminates most MMOs unfortunately.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The RNG part of the gear grind was awful. I respect that if you saved up enough $$$ you could buy them on the AH (also with luck as everyone else bids ;) )

The world bosses one shotting people has to go. I have a decent connection, but the 'tell' to avoid the one shot was buggy at best. More often than not, I was just one shot either way, and of course an expensive gem broke out of my gear each time.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking of starting new in Black Desert. Is it a descent level/crafting experience? Im mostly into leveling when MMOing. Do I need to buy anuthing special? I read somewhere that you basically ”need” four pets?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I think it's definitely worth trying to see if you like it.
There is a lot of QoL stuff in the paid shop which you can look in to if you enjoy the game. I've spent quite a lot on heaps of bank/inventory space, worker slots, some pets as well as the monthly packs. You don't "need" 4 pets but it definitely increases your income if you do. The faster you kill things the more/better pets you need to keep up with looting, otherwise you end up leaving a lot of loot behind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lawrs_EQ2

N00b
BDO is one of my favorite games now. It has a lot of things that work for me personally (have a new baby so the AFK stuff works wonders for me. ie: i have duo boss gear, TET mainhand, TRI awakening/secondary and I barely grind mobs). The graphics are amazing and the combat is really fun (thought mindless and grindy, but the thing is that there are so many ways to make money besides grinding and the game is based around having many different alts so you never feel stuck with the same class *unless you want to get top end weapons, but getting weapons to TRI is really easy). I also feel the weekly updates we get are really good. There are a lot of things that they fix or tweak and they(PA) seem to be trying to make a good game.

It isn't perfect though.

CashCow(publisher) on the other hand, they're bending us over for the $ basically - ie: selling $30 outfits, $50 tents, a $18 channel wide EXP buff (I can't believe how many ppl buy these unless its guilds splitting the cost), $40 pet that doubles gathering, etc, etc. You need to spend like an extra $50-100 in the cashshop to have all the QoL stuff (pets, weight, inventory slots, an outfit if you don't wanna look like a bum). They also hold back features quite often (ie: it took forever for a new class Mystic get there). The game is either P2W or Borderline P2W depending on your view. The servers are also supposedly awful but I don't have any issues personally. You can buy some of this stuff on the marketplace (AH), but its like impossible. Speaking of which, the game is built around to stop gold selling, so you can't trade items, money, or anything like that. The economy is controlled essentially and RNG on who can buy what. It takes some getting used too but I don't mind it too much - I've been able to progress just fine.

Having said that, if you can get it for $5 or $10, give it a shot. Just be prepared to sink in a lot of time in learning the game, they pretty much dump it on you right away and the translations are awful. If you want to talk to me more, feel free to PM me here.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm am not sure I agree it's P2W.
The W part, would mean endgame/softcap gear I guess. To buy that you need in game currency which you can't directly buy, and you need a shitload of it, and either a lot of luck or 10x as much money as you'd need normally so you can preorder things for obscene amounts of currency.
So how do you Pay to get that? Well I'll randomly guess you need 10 or 20 bill to successfully preorder a TET Dande for example. Not sure how much you really need but it would be a hell of a lot. To get that much currency using real life cash you need to buy a ridiculous number of costumes etc, sell them on the market and actually find buyers for them all. I don't know what the market for those is like but maybe that is feasible. Then you need to set the preorder and wait until someone sells, one and the RNG (for preorder) goes in your favour.
So I guess ultimately it is possible to P2W but it's hard work and requires a combination of luck and a lot of time. It's a far cry from something like Secret World Legends where you can buy a max level/max skilled/max level item character directly with the real world currency.

Lawrs_EQ2

N00b
I'm am not sure I agree it's P2W.
The W part, would mean endgame/softcap gear I guess. To buy that you need in game currency which you can't directly buy, and you need a shitload of it, and either a lot of luck or 10x as much money as you'd need normally so you can preorder things for obscene amounts of currency.
So how do you Pay to get that? Well I'll randomly guess you need 10 or 20 bill to successfully preorder a TET Dande for example. Not sure how much you really need but it would be a hell of a lot. To get that much currency using real life cash you need to buy a ridiculous number of costumes etc, sell them on the market and actually find buyers for them all. I don't know what the market for those is like but maybe that is feasible. Then you need to set the preorder and wait until someone sells, one and the RNG (for preorder) goes in your favour.
So I guess ultimately it is possible to P2W but it's hard work and requires a combination of luck and a lot of time. It's a far cry from something like Secret World Legends where you can buy a max level/max skilled/max level item character directly with the real world currency.

I am with you - I personally don't think it's P2W, just a huge "initial investment" with what I already mentioned and then a lot of worker empire/maid stuff. I may think different if I didn't have the means to buy it.

The return on selling cashshop items is so low, it's not even worth it imho.

But as they say, different strokes for different folks. I know this is a hot topic on reddit, there's like daily posts about it haha.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I enjoy the game, but lol at the karma system. I stay on the PvP server mainly, but the punishment for defending your spot is insane. You can just karmabomb people away.

• 1Solidarity

Funeral

Molten Core Raider
The real overt p2w in BDO centers around Artisan Memories, not directly selling pearl items for quick silver. Memory frags are permanently sold out (though you can easily buy scrolls and run them for mem frag drops, it's soulcrushingly boring) and probably one of, if not the most important resource in the game. Because of the locked prices on the AH, you can't raise memfrag/shard prices to a point where their true value is represented - they are always far far undervalued by the marketplace. It's gotten pretty wild in the last few months as the steam playerbase has reached endgame boss gear upgrading.

You get significantly more value out of your pearls by stretching the efficiency of your memory fragments using artisan memories on boss gear upgrade repairs. Some players even whale out hard and fund their TET/PEN attempts by purchasing boss gear and upgrading it with artisans and flipping it for a fair profit on the marketplace. If you can failstack well, you can net a good return by doing this. The margin has gotten even better recently with the buffed artisans repairing 4x the durability.

Other shit contributes to the p2w nature of the game, but in a more oblique fashion. It's important to remember that BDO's endgame is all about efficiency and making sure you are getting the most return for the time you spend keeping the game open. Worker lodging and buying out worker tasks, horse breeding stuff, lifeskill outfits (specifically the processing outfit), maids + this new tent all sort of work up a perfect storm of keeping the silver production machine that is your account oiled and running well. The more income you bring in each day, the more enhancement attempts you can make, and the less it hurts when you fail. You want to have a solid passive income generating while you are grinding for silver in the most efficient manner possible. Being able to store/sell shit via a maid and the conveniences that the tent provides reduce your 'off-time' while grinding by a significant amount. When you're grinding a character for upwards of 1000+ hours, the benefits compound.

Just to be clear, I think BDO is less egregiously p2w than some other games, especially some other Asian games. I've been playing it since pre-launch pretty consistently, though casually for the last few months. I think it's odd that we are still missing a lot of the events and some of the mechanics that KR has, even though NA/EU apparently accounts for the majority of their profit now. I do think Kakao and PA are slowly but consistently introducing more and more of these pseudo-p2w elements and it's converging into a pretty nasty system, but at least it's not ArcheAge.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just dinged 51 with my noob Dark Knight. I absolutely love the combat! Feels like playing something new and different.

I felt kinda forced to buy pets and inventory but whatever.

The story and voice acting is .... terribad? Kinda strayed from the main quest and went exploring/grinding.

Feels like there is a lot to learn :smart:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is a ton of stuff to learn up front. It definitely is good at giving you that sense of awe from being overwhelmed. Unfortunately, it bottoms out after awhile, for a game that has so much content, it lacks deeper PvE immersion. Still fun as hell, I pick it up every once in awhile, collect my mailbox lottery winnings, fire up a new character, and usually sight see up to the mid to upper 50's. I actually should probably log in sometime soon, it's been a minute.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I play the game now an again when a new class comes out most of the time...but I stop at 50 or so. The grind past 50 or 56 is just so boring.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
If anyone wants to try out the game:

2LLMEM6-I91J69M-2RRQGS8-NQ4H0 Unused
JL86FJD-40HDJ6N-PJACN2O-HOQ19 Unused
VDH42UE-97SJA2P-NHCIBAC-72HEU Unused
HMI9MV4-K7EO0SE-M9NDTVR-BG535 Unused
FGP7GU3-M6L7ENM-7CN5MNE-LANM3 Unused
GB2B5MS-UDRUB01-O8OOBF4-ESSU Unused
MIM0ECB-GCBGHJ8-1SINQV8-9OVIO Unused
CJ9ERKA-0GGJQ9E-VTUKKCR-OMCDB Unused

Last edited:

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
If anyone wants to try out the game:

US76ARE-HD3SKO3-PG8QSQL-QOL8G Unused
70LTFLT-MA46AHN-IS3E8ND-B0I2D Unused
D0J2E56-QH5EEVA-3SNAMHG-293D4 Unused
2LLMEM6-I91J69M-2RRQGS8-NQ4H0 Unused
JL86FJD-40HDJ6N-PJACN2O-HOQ19 Unused
VDH42UE-97SJA2P-NHCIBAC-72HEU Unused
HMI9MV4-K7EO0SE-M9NDTVR-BG535 Unused
FGP7GU3-M6L7ENM-7CN5MNE-LANM3 Unused
GB2B5MS-UDRUB01-O8OOBF4-ESSU Unused
MIM0ECB-GCBGHJ8-1SINQV8-9OVIO Unused
CJ9ERKA-0GGJQ9E-VTUKKCR-OMCDB Unused
H0J6MSK-72P62PK-AI64H1B-2FCON Unused
Nice try! You going to gift me a full copy when I hit 30?!

Funeral

Molten Core Raider
Well, Kakao added 15-day Book of Combat (the 24hr massive xp buff book) and Kamasylve's Blessing (+energy regen and item drops) to the pearl shop for 1,250. That brings the monthly pearl cost of maintaining a competitive account to 6500 pearls/30 days with the value pack, or many many hours of marketplace sniping. I guess they really are going for the boiling-frog strategy for introducing p2w elements to the game. It's particularly gross because Kakao has said in the past that they'd never implement those specific items in NA/EU as they would be 'definitely p2w.' Valk's Cry is probably coming down the pipeline soon.

• 1Worf

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Always the same. They pledge to not introducing P2W and then slowly implement it. No suprise here.