Black Desert

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Black Desert looks like a technical support doomsday, a lot of PC players will never manage to run that.
even under low setting, the game looks gorgeous. steparu's recent videos on world bosses were slightly underwhelming. boring fights, no one dying, stupid AI.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm pretty sure you know quite well that that's not what I said, nor what I meant. But, if you just want to be a dick, feel free.
Your entire argument blanketed and entire country which makes it silly. They are not ahead of Blizzard in animations which destroyes your entire argument. Saying western devs can't is also ridicoulus. The MMO industry here is not behind in tech or ideas. It is behind in funding for something that isn't the norm.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Sorry, dude. Blizzard animations are smooth and responsive, yes. More advanced? No.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Your entire argument blanketed and entire country which makes it silly. They are not ahead of Blizzard in animations which destroyes your entire argument. Saying western devs can't is also ridicoulus. The MMO industry here is not behind in tech or ideas. It is behind in funding for something that isn't the norm.
The MMO industry in America is behind in funding? I would like to see the budget used for Black Desert vs TESO or SWTOR. I have a feeling that the budgets for the American games there are vastly higher than Black Desert, and Black Desert "looks" (not saying plays) a lot better than both of those. Both in graphical fidelity and animations.

Granted both SWTOR and TESO seem much larger in scope than Black Desert, as the world map really seems small in that game. In the Bikeman video he looks at the map and calls it an "island" not thinking it is the full map as he scrolls over it, but I think it is based on other videos.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The MMO industry in America is behind in funding? I would like to see the budget used for Black Desert vs TESO or SWTOR. I have a feeling that the budgets for the American games there are vastly higher than Black Desert, and Black Desert "looks" (not saying plays) a lot better than both of those. Both in graphical fidelity and animations.

Granted both SWTOR and TESO seem much larger in scope than Black Desert, as the world map really seems small in that game. In the Bikeman video he looks at the map and calls it an "island" not thinking it is the full map as he scrolls over it, but I think it is based on other videos.
I did not say they are behind in funding. It's actually getting that funding for a game that breaks the mold is the problem.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Your entire argument blanketed and entire country which makes it silly. They are not ahead of Blizzard in animations which destroyes your entire argument. Saying western devs can't is also ridicoulus. The MMO industry here is not behind in tech or ideas.It is behind in funding for something that isn't the norm.
The developer for Black Desert stated that he got together with his friends to make a different kind of MMO. So I think Black Desert is a bit of a game changer for Korea as well. The big test will see just how much of a PvE grind there is and how interesting the world PvP systems turn out to be. As for creating a living, vibrant world, they nailed it.

Now here is where I get confuzzled when talking about development. People keep talking about the safe route and sticking to what is known in terms of funding different projects... Like these two items are one and the same. Looking at past MMO development, it's a fucking graveyard of quickly failed, or failed to launch titles. Most of these have used an incredibly similar formula: Level up progression, Static NPC riddled environments, Raiding style endgame, Loot treadmills. It would seem that sticking to what is known is the exact opposite of playing it safe. It sounds more like sticking to what is known is something like 3 months till the playerbase burns out and the game gets placed on Free to Play life support until they finally pull the plug.

One thing I do know is that people want to try new things. Make a game that is a carbon copy of what is already out and people who didn't like or are tired of the current shit will give yours a pass as well. I understand how all the execs think that copying wow means they have a shot at those kinds of numbers as well. They don't and never will. People who like WoW, like... Wow and are invested in it... why will they jump ship for a version of WoW where they aren't level bajibitty already? They won't or they will try it and then go back. But holy shit, give them something different and at the very minimum you instantly generate buzz for your project. Now if only the people who were willing to try new ideas would also try good ones.

I am very interested to see the dynamic between Wildstar and WoW. Wildstar is extremely similar in many ways, inferior in many ways and superior in a couple of ways to WoW. It just seems like they are jumping into a boat that was already sitting low in the water.

Traditional MMO's are drying up, hell, big publisher video games in general are in rough shape. Holding onto what is tried and true is like lashing yourself to the mast of a sinking ship. Anyways, this post is too long already and I am out of nautical based metaphors.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sorry, dude. Blizzard animations are smooth and responsive, yes. More advanced? No.
I did not say they are more advanced, just that they are considered the best in the business by many. There is no secret tech that koreans are using in MMO's. Koreans aren't using DX25 that american companies don't have access to. The problem has always been everyone is playing follow the leader which is why we keep getting the same type of game over and over again. We also keep recyclying the same fuck ups as lead desengers which is probably the number one reason that our games don't look as good as theirs.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The developer for Black Desert stated that he got together with his friends to make a different kind of MMO. So I think Black Desert is a bit of a game changer for Korea as well. The big test will see just how much of a PvE grind there is and how interesting the world PvP systems turn out to be. As for creating a living, vibrant world, they nailed it.

Now here is where I get confuzzled when talking about development. People keep talking about the safe route and sticking to what is known in terms of funding different projects... Like these two items are one and the same. Looking at past MMO development, it's a fucking graveyard of quickly failed, or failed to launch titles. Most of these have used an incredibly similar formula: Level up progression, Static NPC riddled environments, Raiding style endgame, Loot treadmills. It would seem that sticking to what is known is the exact opposite of playing it safe. It sounds more like sticking to what is known is something like 3 months till the playerbase burns out and the game gets placed on Free to Play life support until they finally pull the plug.

One thing I do know is that people want to try new things. Make a game that is a carbon copy of what is already out and people who didn't like or are tired of the current shit will give yours a pass as well. I understand how all the execs think that copying wow means they have a shot at those kinds of numbers as well. They don't and never will. People who like WoW, like... Wow and are invested in it... why will they jump ship for a version of WoW where they aren't level bajibitty already? They won't or they will try it and then go back. But holy shit, give them something different and at the very minimum you instantly generate buzz for your project. Now if only the people who were willing to try new ideas would also try good ones.

I am very interested to see the dynamic between Wildstar and WoW. Wildstar is extremely similar in many ways, inferior in many ways and superior in a couple of ways to WoW. It just seems like they are jumping into a boat that was already sitting low in the water.

Traditional MMO's are drying up, hell, big publisher video games in general are in rough shape. Holding onto what is tried and true is like lashing yourself to the mast of a sinking ship. Anyways, this post is too long already and I am out of nautical based metaphors.
The problem is that those games we call failures are actually very profitable. Look at TOR, no risk taken and it rakes in cash. All the money people see is that well if we do it this way we will make a profit. The entire industry is penny wise and pound foolish.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I did not say they are behind in funding. It's actually getting that funding for a game that breaks the mold is the problem.
Ahh, yeah that I agree with completely. One of the people who are looking for some old/lost mechanics myself, that goes against the norm. Like death penalties (add risk vs reward again), less travel, more interconnectivity between classes (not just tradeskill related or a few combos) and a dangerous world with less hand holding. Basically EQ where every other zone is a different Kithicor
smile.png
Only crazed drugged up developers say they will make anything similar to that in the west
frown.png
I want Dark Souls the MMO, so damn tired of the Disney look.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ahh, yeah that I agree with completely. One of the people who are looking for some old/lost mechanics myself, that goes against the norm. Like death penalties (add risk vs reward again), less travel, more interconnectivity between classes (not just tradeskill related or a few combos) and a dangerous world with less hand holding. Basically EQ where every other zone is a different Kithicor
smile.png
Only crazed drugged up developers say they will make anything similar to that in the west
frown.png
I want Dark Souls the MMO, so damn tired of the Disney look.
Well you would have gotten the funding for that game if McQuack didn't fuck that kickstarter up so badly.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm actually in Texas now, just didn't bother to update my profile.

It's not about the coding language, it's about what you do with it. Western studios are just lazy. They take the easy way, rather than trying to push the envelope. Which is why we get boring combat, and cartoony graphics. And even when they occasionally try to push things a little farther, it usually ends up being a buggy mess.

We're not really talking about the slew of little asian f2p sprite games. But more the big stuff. Look at Lineage 2 when it was released, using a modified Unreal engine. Light years ahead of us. Look at Vindictus, not quite an mmo, but amazing graphics and combat, (and some really fucking fun raid boss fights) and that came out years ago. Black Desert is basically the mmo version of that. Even FF was ahead of us in a lot of ways, the problems with it are from the game design.

Edit: That's not to say that eastern devs didn't have some limitations in other areas. Besides the usual "plop down mobs" asian grind, which they're finally starting to move away from. Things like class being tied to gender, ugh. But, now they've gone in completely the other direction and have the most amazing character customization there is.
Where at in Texas Colonel Sanders?

code asians graphics

Raes

Vyemm Raider
All these shithole towns seem identical to me. This one is called Dallas.

Is that you trying to stay on topic? lol.

MaseK

Molten Core Raider
More and more videos coming out. Agreed that the world boss fights look just okay from the one video I saw. I liked this video as it shows some of the PVP potential. Bottom line, if there is substantial PVP in a world this engrossing, count me in.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Considering the amount of people on the screen at times the game ran fairly well. Im sure those guy have good rigs to run it but id imagine most pc gamers keep their rigs up to date as is anywho.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's a steparu video so it's not a korean anyway. Their engine seems to have severe LoD/pop in issues but at the same time I assume it's how it handles the load efficiently, shit that's a bit far away look a lot worse and stuff.