Black Panther (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jait

Molten Core Raider
So why didn't wakanda help out Africa?

If you start down that route you’ll realize these are horrible people who stood by during genocides and the slave trade. They still today decide leadership by ritual combat to the death or yield.

Meanwhile in the real world Disney is thrilled no one has asked why these actors were paid far less than normal for MCU movies. Celebrate fictional black culture, reality keeps on being reality.

• 7Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They literally fly through a "cloak" that looks like shithole Africa to reveal Wakasgard.
AKA - A city with lots of metal that's still a shithole Africa. Oh, and lots of apartment buildings and dirt streets and overall dark area with no sunlight.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Basically Prime Directive taken to an extreme and more intimate level, really. Isolationism because "it would make things worse if other people knew what we had". Although considering how a lot of their tech seems new (based on the sister) I'm not sure how far advanced they were in MCU in say, WW2 or 1800s or 1700s etc.

But still, I never agreed with the prime directive and I sure don't agree with it here. But that is one of the major topics of the movie.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Basically Prime Directive taken to an extreme and more intimate level, really. Isolationism because "it would make things worse if other people knew what we had". Although considering how a lot of their tech seems new (based on the sister) I'm not sure how far advanced they were in MCU in say, WW2 or 1800s or 1700s etc.

But still, I never agreed with the prime directive and I sure don't agree with it here. But that is one of the major topics of the movie.

Prime Directive? This isn’t Star Trek. They’re Human. They’re directly related to and share the same air and resources as their neighbors.

Don’t do the rationalizing for the evil Wakandans. They are likely far worse than Hitler. Or in your case Khan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Syddin

Trakanon Raider
Other thing that might have an effect on Infinity war is the thought that the "magic" powers of vibranium, i.e. holding from death and such, might be caused by the Soul Stone. We hadn't seen it before and the purple glow and "deactivation" for a train ride was fishy for a metal.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Prime Directive? This isn’t Star Trek. They’re Human. They’re directly related to and share the same air and resources as their neighbors.

Don’t do the rationalizing for the evil Wakandans. They are likely far worse than Hitler. Or in your case Khan.

This was literally the beef Killmonger had.

And W'kabi expresses the isolationist feeling pretty well in one line, "when you invite refugees, you also invite their problems". You can't be a Utopia if you try to fix everyone's problems.

But he is also willing to remove all their problems by conquering the world, expressed directly to T'Challa ("if you give me the order, I will go and conquer the world" or some such) and in his betrayal of T'Challa and alignment with Killmonger.

They both are ok with leaving Wakanda's isolationism in the past, but W'Kabi wants to seat Wakanda on the top of the world, helping the people who look like them by bringing everyone else low and T'Challa tells the previous Black Panthers they were wrong during his resurrection, then offers to share Wakanda's knowledge with the world and opening outreach centers in black communities.

But yes, prior to the events of this movie, Wakanda was a bunch of villains who let not only Africans suffer under Colonialism, but in modern times, let the world suffer to ravages of disease, cancer, famine, whatever else bad you can think of.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

I not only said that I disagreed with the directive but also (earlier somewhere) that the Wakandans are arseholes at best for their isolationist behavior but definitely extend into the "evil" part of the chart with some of the arguments and no doubt previous rulers.

Going off topic here... Prime Directive isn't species specific, it's essentially "if X group can't find us by themselves, don't reveal ourselves or affect in any way X group" which is basically what Wakanda has done for however long they've been advantaged over the rest of the continent / world. It's a "non-interference" directive and while the reasoning for it can sometimes in specific cases be justified, it's overall a shit attitude and policy and generally on the evil-selfish side. If a Star Fleet crew came across some long-lost human civ on a world that had no recollection of space travel, prime directive would dictate that Star Fleet NOT make contact.

Of course exceptions have been made because it is, again, a generally evil policy, but that's the gist of it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Guess Chinese people aren't so racist they won't watch a film full of black people, after all. BP debuted with $66.5 million, which puts it at third place opening in China for the MCU. There's a pretty good chance BP outperforms TLJ domestically and a smaller chance that it outperforms it globally. Who would have ever thought that in early December?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Like they have movie theaters in Africa. Life isn't a comic book.

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I honesty have never seen BO grosses from Africa except for South Africa, which is at $5M. I think there's so little potential there studios don't put any effort into most of those countries.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Just saw the movie. Did not live up to the hype, but it was still good. Way too long, though.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Took the kids last night, I thought it was pretty good and the kids enjoyed it. No qualms here.