Black Panther (2018)

Juvarisx

Florida
This thread turned to shit a long time ago. Look at this unnecessary comment. Most of you on this forum have already decided if you are going to see this or not weeks ago. Trust me, Disney won't miss your ticket sale.

The movie was very good. It was more movie than super hero movie. I had no issues with the location, nitpicks, and let's be blunt "the blackness" of the movie that have been expressed here. Some of you have problems.

Wife noted that both Human Torches are now in MCU. Also, looks like Tony Stark needs to up his game because BP pretty much outclassed him in technology with what was shown.

Yea clearly its all because the people here are all racists, not that this film is not all that good and 6/10 is probably right. I'm hugely disappointed with the direction of the film after the directors other two films were brilliantly directed. This is either a problem with the vision of it or he was being overruled on what he wanted to do.

The CGI is actually worse then earlier Marvel films. Lets have everything made out of Vibranium but have skyscrapers with thatched roofing???? Chick calls the massively powerful weapons being fired at them primitive right before she chucks a god damn spear.

All these supposed Viibranium weapons they use and none of them have remotely the same impact as Capt's Shield. Other then the spear chick using it to defy psychics comically.

And on top of it they want us to sympathize with an African American villain who wants to kill whitey cause Forest Whitaker killed his dad. Okay then, if that doesn't sum up victim politics in this country IDK what does. It doesn't help that Micheal B Jordan hammed it up and was awful, which is too bad cause he is a fucking really good actor.

I just saw this shit had a production budget of 200 million, which is 20-25 million more then BR2049. You tell me if the CGI was up to par or not

Last edited:
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

You do realize the post he responded to was unequivocally racist though, right?

• 5Like
  • 4Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
$25.2M Thursday night previews, more than any other Marvel film except Ultron. Heading to somewhere in the 70s for Friday. Decent chance of making more than Civil War.

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Run of the mill Marvel. Half the jokes made me smirk, half made me cringe. Some of the action was good, some of the action was terrible CG fests. Characters are mostly underdeveloped, lots of telling, not much showing, so there's little to no emotional impact. Villain is another weak, one note, forgettable bad guy. I'll kill everyone and take over the world masked in a culturally relevant motivation that everyone seems to be eating up but really he's no better than the bad guy from GoTG 1.

But like most Marvel movies it's somewhat entertaining to watch for the first time, just forgettable.

Siliconemelons

Black Panther shit always annoyed me because vibranium was always to be close to mythic, but nop, these fuckers have shittons of it - its cool...but none of it ever leaves or whatever - I know thats "part of the point" but... its still weak as hell plot wheels.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
$25.2M Thursday night previews, more than any other Marvel film except Ultron. Heading to somewhere in the 70s for Friday. Decent chance of making more than Civil War.

Trending article on FB right now, Black Panther Smashes Box Office Records!

Best Thursday ever! Err, best Thursday previews ever! Err, best Thursday previews in February ever!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
As Cyb said, Atlanta has some serious tax credits as does the state in general. It is why AMC continues to film TWD there when the show itself has been in "DC" area a few years now.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Best Thursday ever! Err, best Thursday previews ever! Err, best Thursday previews in February ever!

I don't think anyone reasonable expected it to have the biggest opening of all time. But it's Thursday previews are impressive, being second in the MCU (though the final numbers for the previews look like they might be a million or two lower).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think anyone reasonable expected it to have the biggest opening of all time. But it's Thursday previews are impressive, being second in the MCU (though the final numbers for the previews look like they might be a million or two lower).

I'm mostly laughing at how hard the article is grasping to paint BP as 'record breaking', not actually finding fault with the movie or it's numbers.

• 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The movie was ok. Not in league with Thor: Ragnorok, Civil War, GotG, IM1 or Avengers.
I was VERY VERY disappointed with Klaue's (Klaw) character. I loved how Serkis portrayed him but how they had him in BP was just plain retarded. They took a powerful marvel villain and made him into a pussy. In the marvel universe he's made out of sound and no way in the world Killmonger would of been able to kill him with bullets. No fucking way. (comic book nerd rage.) Yeah I know there's a difference between marvel comics and the MCU but they could of gotten anyone named him Joe and Joe would of been able to accomplished what Klaue did in the movie. Don't take a marvel character dumb him down with no powers and throw him in a movie. The CG fights were cancer to my eye. It looked so fake my wife even asked me why they look like that. I would of rather deal with wire-fu than see that abomination. Killmoger had alot of potential but they portrayed him as an angry black man wanting to kill whitey. Too cliche for me with a thugish persona. Be more of Stringer than Avon cause D'angelo is flipping in his grave right about now Wallace. What the hell was up with the rhinos? When W'kabi blew that horn I was expecting something awesome not a pack of stampeding rhinos on steroids. When T'Challa and Killmonger were fighting for the title of king I knew he was going to throw him over the waterfall. Too damn predictable. Then they find him in M'Baku's(Man-ape) kingdom looking like a chocolate popsicle. None one bothered to let them know their king was found mortally wounded? Also I know this is a movie but I don't think there's a frozen snowy area in the continent of Africa. Unless it's all the way up in the mountain regions. I did enjoy M'Baku's character. That ape sound he was making when Ross was speaking made me laugh. He was somewhat amusing and I would of liked to see more of him in the movie. I also liked the T'challa royal guards kicking ass. This is a movie I'll probably watch it again when it comes out on Blu-ray to add to my collection.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vulg

The lot of you are twats. This was fantastic. Killmonger was one of the most compelling villains Marvel has pumped out and Serkis played a fucking dope Klaue.

BP's relationship with his sis was about as genuine as a connection as I can remember in the screen MCU. The combat rituals were great. Not as funny as Ragnarok or the GotGs but I found it more badass (especially that red-wearing royal armor guard).

I thought the performances were above average for a Marvel flick. I probably enjoyed Cumberbatch in Doc Strange and Downey JR in IM1 a bit more, but there were about a handful of ppl in this who were spot on.

• 9Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 10 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

News flash: calendar placement has an effect on box office. It's why historical comparisons between movies usually involve weighing them first against other movies that released during the same time of the year. Especially early in a movie's run when that's really the only comparison that can be made. Deadpool had the same sort of articles written about it when it opened, for the same reason.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm seeing it on Friday, so I'll give you an unbiased review. Realistically though, I always give Marvel movies positive reviews. You guys see shit in all of them, but when I go, I have a great time and enjoy watching it.
Ok... Wow. I take back my "always give Marvel movies positive reviews" line. I didn't hate it, but it was pretty bad. Like... "The Inhumans". I didn't really see a point for this movie to be made. The story from Civil War was enough. We knew a little about Wakanda. We didn't really "need" anything more than that, and this story didn't do anything to further the brand at all. I didn't want to believe it was full of SJW stuff, but it was extremely heavy handed.

So we learn that Wakanda (Africa) is like Trump in their policies of "Wakada first, fuck everyone else", but then we discover that this is wrong. So wrong. They should be helping EVERYONE (this doesn't become the goal until the last quarter of the movie. We also know that Wakanda has the best Technology in the world because reasons. Ok, they have a very valuable metal and that's why. Even though they NEVER sell this metal and want to keep it all in house, some how the existence of this metal = technology kangz!
It's a movie, so who cares if Africa already is a huge exporter of gold, aluminum, zinc, diamonds, iron... And they've done absolutely nothing to benefit the country as a result of all these exports. They now have Vibranium (for a thousand years) and as a result, Wakanda is the best country. That's my biggest gripe about this entire thing. Having access to a single resource doesn't mean intelligence, inventions and everything else. And it doesn't help your country at all if you don't sell said resource. Oh well.

The movie is a drama (I think?) There is literally zero humor in it. They are very heavy on the African theme in how they do everything. And Wakanda itself, while being a technological miracle, is still a city with dirt ground and everything else. But almost all the buildings and shit are made from metal. Actually, the more I think of it, I actually hated this movie. It was horrible. A HUGE red X over the Marvel Cinematic Universe name. I'm sad now.

Fuck this movie.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
News flash: calendar placement has an effect on box office. It's why historical comparisons between movies usually involve weighing them first against other movies that released during the same time of the year. Especially early in a movie's run when that's really the only comparison that can be made. Deadpool had the same sort of articles written about it when it opened, for the same reason.

o1PU0hh.gif

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Andy Serkis was a faaaaarrrr better villian that Jordan, and they shamefully mishandled his character.
and his death

Seriously, Jordan., Killmonger (that name tho...), was TERRIBLE and had terrible motivations that made no sense, and he came of as whiney to boot.

I thought this dragged for quite a bit.

Having zero cameos hurt the film and made this feel much less like part of the Marvel universe.

Also,
at the end when he says. 'we can heal you..', this dude just burned all your sacred ganja, killed your bud Forest Whittaker, and your country is killing one another on a field as you speak all becuase of him..yet, hes like, yo, we can heal you. BS.

6/10 for me.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Vulg

So we learn that Wakanda (Africa) is like Trump in their policies of "Wakada first, fuck everyone else", but then we discover that this is wrong. So wrong. They should be helping EVERYONE (this doesn't become the goal until the last quarter of the movie. We also know that Wakanda has the best Technology in the world because reasons. Ok, they have a very valuable metal and that's why. Even though they NEVER sell this metal and want to keep it all in house, some how the existence of this metal = technology kangz!
It's a movie, so who cares if Africa already is a huge exporter of gold, aluminum, zinc, diamonds, iron... And they've done absolutely nothing to benefit the country as a result of all these exports. They now have Vibranium (for a thousand years) and as a result, Wakanda is the best country. That's my biggest gripe about this entire thing. Having access to a single resource doesn't mean intelligence, inventions and everything else. And it doesn't help your country at all if you don't sell said resource. Oh well.

The movie is a drama (I think?) There is literally zero humor in it. They are very heavy on the African theme in how they do everything. And Wakanda itself, while being a technological miracle, is still a city with dirt ground and everything else. But almost all the buildings and shit are made from metal. Actually, the more I think of it, I actually hated this movie. It was horrible. A HUGE red X over the Marvel Cinematic Universe name. I'm sad now.

Fuck this movie.
Seemed pretty true to the comics - vibranium stores kinetic energy and soaks waves. Unlike gold, diamonds or whatever else might be mined for the accumulation or exploitation of wealth, the metal instead lends itself to application. I don't think this was ever perceived as problematic in Captain America, Daredevil or w/e else it featured in.

As for humor, definitely not comedic but not unlike Doc Strange. And there were a couple of spots that got good reactions from the folks around (biggest probably being the mountain tribe leader interrupting a poignant speech by laughing at Panther and his family). There were some darker moments that you don't see as often in MCU movies, like when Killmonger shows Serkis' dead body with headshot to that tribe to win favor or when he follows through and slits the throat of one of those amazonian types, so it definitely doesn't skew towards comedy as much as we've been used to