Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So looks like it's 2nd week it dropped off a fucking cliff, just like the other Marvel movies recently.

Any of you movie analytical people got any insight here? Seems like a bad sign.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So looks like it's 2nd week it dropped off a fucking cliff, just like the other Marvel movies recently.

It was a better dropoff than recent MCU films but higher end for the entire MCU. It wasn't a great (The Batman) or a horrible (Morbius) drop. Blockbusters routinely drop 55-65% second weekend, especially with heavily loaded Thursday nights. Also, first weekend Friday was a holiday for many people so that helped the first weekend.

NWH dropped 67.5% and was a monster success so second weekend drops don't tell a complete story. BP2 is clearly going to make much less than BP1, but that's no surprise, really.

It is still going to make $400+ in the US easily and most certainly beat DS2 domestically because of the holidays (global probably lower because of it having black people). It doesn't have real tentpole competition until Avatar 2.

Juvarisx

Florida

Expect a bounce back this weekend, there really isnt anything new to see that looks super interesting coming out for the long weekend

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

As people have said, 55 to 65% is normal for a Blockbuster drop off. If you look at at the numbers from the 2 weeks, BP2 made more in week one than all the other movies for that week and the previous 2 weeks. combined.

Week 2, even with a 63ish% drop off, roughly 2/3rds of every dollar spent at the US Box office was on BP2.

For Comparison, Dr Strange was like 65%, Jurassic World was 60%, Thor was 68%, Fantastic Beasts was 69%.

Top Gun was the outlier at like mid 40s

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I know everyone here's as excited as I am about getting my hands in a new steelbook. They are releasing 2 different styles for this one, available now on best buy.

I preordered both, but I'll return one of them once they arrive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110-010324_Best Buy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110-010324_Best Buy.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230110-010331_Best Buy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110-010331_Best Buy.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230110-010540_Best Buy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110-010540_Best Buy.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230110-010550_Best Buy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110-010550_Best Buy.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So this came out on Disney+ and I finally watched it. It was average with some decent parts.

I really like how they handle the passing of Chadwick Boseman, Botha the beginning with the funeral and at the end where Shuri has flashbacks and the reveal that he had a son.

Pretty much everything to do with Iron Heart sucked. Armor looked awful, actress wasn’t very good.

I thought Namor was down pretty well overall, I wished they had kept him being from Atlantis but I understand why they changed it.

Now about Shuri becoming Black Panther, it made sense story wise but actress is stick figure and looked terrible in the costume, she looked like a weak and frail Black Panther. I don’t care about the Black Panther being female but at least have someone in the costume that looks good in it.

I would have preferred Nakia, she might not be tall and imposing but at least she not a stick and has some curves and meat on her bones. I also think Lupita is fucking gorgeous so might biased a little. :)

It had some good parts but overall just average. They did what they could with Chadwick, it was always going to be less without him as he totally had nailed the part.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I just watched it and it had some terrible fucking writing. The first 10 minutes with them beaming up T'Challa's corpse while dancing into a fucking UFO ship was just like, what? Fucking awful.

Plot was bad, action was bad, tactical decisions were terrible. Just real bad. First movie was meh, but watchable. This was just bad. Angela Bassett was working the best she could, but everyone else was awful.

Like a 4/10 Marvel movie. I'd give the first one a 5 or 6/10.

• 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Watched it on Disney and still think I paid too much. What happened to Marvel? Post Endgame, everything has sucked.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Mmm, it was this one or starting justified last night. Got 3 episodes in so far. Do I want to take a break with wakanda?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Mmm, it was this one or starting justified last night. Got 3 episodes in so far. Do I want to take a break with wakanda?
Does gargling sewage make your champagne taste better afterwards?

• 2Worf

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
In a word 'No'.

Justified is awesome.

'We mined coal together'

• 2Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I felt like I understood the atmosphere of Justified much better once I moved to Kentucky.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I actually like the switch from 'Atlantis' to 'Tlalocan'. It gives the MCU underwater kingdom a way to distinguish itself from the Aquaman one from DC while also providing an interesting anchor point for art design. Marvel has never made Atlantis look good so nothing is lost and it gets more people interested in the very cool Mesoamerican mythology.

It also acts as a more natural counterpoint to Wakanda. In principle both nations should be united against the 'colonizers' as they say, but instead they have deep rooted animosity that surpasses this.

This movie was about Chadwick passing and introducing Namor. In that sense its just necessary filler, which is an unfortunate way to end 'Phase 4' but also very much in line with how 'meh' this phase has been overall. I wanted to like Riri Williams, but the performance and overall nature of the character left me flat. She lacks the spark of a Ms. Marvel and feels like a retread more than a continuation.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Honestly for a second they gave me hope with that ancestor plane sequence. If they took Shuri panther in more of an anti hero route like they teased I would have enjoyed it. Then I woke up and remembered who we are dealing with and of course they pussed out, no interesting twists to be found here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
so um aren't inhumans from atlantis, like they still live in Atlantis and shit. I know the inhumans kinda failed the first time they tried to introduce them but i'm sure they'll try again with blackbolt and etc.

From that perspective it makes since for namor to be from some shitty mezoamerican culture instead