Blackface

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
when al jolsen did his "mammy" song or whatever,he wasnt trying to put down black people, he was in the character of a black person singing to his mother and the guy sang the fuck out of that song. and no kids today even know who the fuck al jolsen was,shit i only know who al jolsen was because my dad and grandparents loved his music and they would play his records a lot.black people only get offended because i think they are expected to. its like washington redskins. nobody gave a fuck until harry reid got a bee in his pussy and then a bunch of indians started saying. uh yeah thats offensive to us! still not sure how the term redskin is anymore offensive than calling somebody black. never even heard an indian called a redskin in tv or movies.
so your pappy was the grand cyclops and daddy got promoted to grand wizard right?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm black and I probably would have laughed my ass off at this. Extreme overractions to shit like this is why we can't have serious discussions about Zimmermen, Ferguson, White Guilt, Reverse Racism, Institutionalized Racism, Reparations, Boot straps and so on.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'm black and I probably would have laughed my ass off at this. Extreme overractions to shit like this is why we can't have serious discussions about Zimmermen, Ferguson, White Guilt, Reverse Racism, Institutionalized Racism, Reparations, Boot straps and so on.
Half of black comedians jokes these days are making fun of the exact black stereotypes that if a white person did it it would be racist. Essentially minstrel shows done by blacks.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Half of black comedians jokes these days are making fun of the exact black stereotypes that if a white person did it it would be racist. Essentially minstrel shows done by blacks.
tumblr_mfvy3dVTEQ1qg80dlo1_500.gif

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
remember though racism is prejudice + power so minorities by definition can't be racist.

iannis

Musty Nester
White girls is one of the few things the Wayans did right.

Putting on whiteface and making a movie about a stereotypical dumb bitch?

Those guys. They get it.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
You guys can't think of one reason why a white person dressing up as minority races for laughs might be a dumb/bad thing to do? It's not like these guys are dressing up like MLK & Caesar Chavez, they're dressing up as the knock off wayan's brother that kisses eggs

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Brock University students in blackface win Halloween contest - Latest Hamilton news - CBC Hamilton

Local university is in an uproar over these kids winning a school sanctioned Halloween costume contest as a Jamaican Bobsled Team. The Labour Studies dept has issued a statement condemning the costume as 'inherently racist' on the faculty Facebook page. The 'open letter' was issued by 4 white professors.

rrr_img_81116.jpg
Stupid fucks here at ASU got riled up and butthurt because some were face painting team colors, which happened to be black.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You guys can't think of one reason why a white person dressing up as minority races for laughs might be a dumb/bad thing to do? It's not like these guys are dressing up like MLK & Caesar Chavez, they're dressing up as the knock off wayan's brother that kisses eggs
I can see why it could be considered insensitive... But I certainly don't see how the act of painting your skin to mimic that of a black person's skin is inherently racist.

Context is crucial here. These boys weren't dressed up as early 20th century black minstrels (characterized negro images), they were dressed as modern day Jamaican movie characters.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
i guess questions is why the need to paint the face? plenty of asian black and white people cosplay across race lines and don't feel a need to white face or some such.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whether it was racist or not hinges on how bad their stereotypical Jamaican accents were. If they said "mon" more than 25 times that evening it was very racist and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I obviously don't know the context(how they acted) but the sole act of dressing up as the Jamaican bobsled team from Cool Runnings seems perfectly fine to me(was a good movie too). Bonus points given if each one picked a character and copied their behavior. They should of also found a fat guy to play john candy's character.

Way too much PC bullshit and over-reaction these days.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't a thread around here about the pussyfication of America or some shit like that?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I miss Dave Chappelle. He did more for racial "equal rights" than anyone in the past 30 years.

Lighten the fuck up people. There's a big difference between people joking about stereotypes and other people who hang a person from a tree, or treat another race as sub-human based on skin color. Ted Danson was butchered over his blackface back in the day and I thought it was pretty damn funny under the circumstances. At worst it may have been a bad choice, but he sure as shit isn't "racist' for doing it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't really pay attention to such things, but was there any backlash when RDJ did the guy in Tropic Thunder?