Blackface

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So black people can't go as white people or ghost now (only spookds I guess) from now on. Got it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't really pay attention to such things, but was there any backlash when RDJ did the guy in Tropic Thunder?
I think they interviews Ben Stiller on it. He said they were worried about the reaction but that black people loved it. The only people that seemed upset about it were white people. Go figure!

All I'm saying is we shouldn't have to wear full masks or non-authentic face stylings to wear a solid black-guy Halloween costume.

So white people will never be able to wear a legit Michael Jackson, MLK Jr, Michael Jordan costume... fuck that

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Bro I'm not sure if you ever noticed or not. Michael Jackson sorta turned white during his career. All you need is a curly hair wig for that.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
a 19 year old girl here was fucking shitstormed for racism because she "blackfaced" as Michonne from walking dead. If someone can't even dress up as a character from their favorite TV show, as bad their taste is, because they're the wrong skin color, it's just fucking absurd.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm black and I probably would have laughed my ass off at this. Extreme overractions to shit like this is why we can't have serious discussions about Zimmermen, Ferguson, White Guilt, Reverse Racism, Institutionalized Racism, Reparations, Boot straps and so on.
Don't you dare type "reverse racism" again.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
a 19 year old girl here was fucking shitstormed for racism because she "blackfaced" as Michonne from walking dead. If someone can't even dress up as a character from their favorite TV show, as bad their taste is, because they're the wrong skin color, it's just fucking absurd.
Pretty good Cosplay if you ask me

rrr_img_81157.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I think they interviews Ben Stiller on it. He said they were worried about the reaction but that black people loved it. The only people that seemed upset about it were white people. Go figure!
this seems the essence of left wing paternalism, big white daddy knows best.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
this seems the essence of left wing paternalism, big white daddy knows best.

It really is annoying as fuck. I consider myself liberal in a lot of ways but I am getting pushed more and more to the right because I am tired of people telling me what I should be offended about.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think there would've been more of a reaction to it if they didn't have Brandon T. Jackson making fun of RDJ's character.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't consider putting on dark makeup to look like your favorite black character "Blackface".

IMO, blackface was when the movie industry didn't hire black people for their fucked up portrayals of black people so they would do this:
Minstrel_PosterBillyVanWare_edit.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Kinda surprised at the consensus reached in this thread. I thought rerolled was populated by a bunch of weeping vaginas. I've always thought that nothing is inherently racist, and anything can be racist in the right context.

Szlia

That poster though is for a 1900 show that predates the existence of a proper movie industry.

By the way, it should also be noted that The Jazz Singer (the 1927 movie with Al Jolson) and Tropic Thunder get a pass because the blackface is a core element of their respective scenarios: In them, it's not a white actor playing the part of a black character, it's a white actor playing the part of a white character who uses blackface.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I don't consider putting on dark makeup to look like your favorite black character "Blackface".

IMO, blackface was when the movie industry didn't hire black people for their fucked up portrayals of black people so they would do this:
Minstrel_PosterBillyVanWare_edit.jpg
it's the cartoonish feature enhancements like big bright colored lips that make it not cosplay, and that's why mostly what people call blackface isn't really blackface

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
That poster though is for a 1900 show that predates the existence of a proper movie industry.

By the way, it should also be noted that The Jazz Singer (the 1927 movie with Al Jolson) and Tropic Thunder get a pass because the blackface is a core element of their respective scenarios: In them, it's not a white actor playing the part of a black character, it's a white actor playing the part of a white character who uses blackface.
they get a pass cause $$$ is a halfhearted argument certainly not a moral argument, and that's what movies are, at it's core it's a business.