Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
9/10. Would have gotten a 10 if not for

God, Leto is a shit actor. Stop hiring that guy. Also the replicant "rebellion" was stupid and could have been cut entirely

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

God, Leto is a shit actor. Stop hiring that guy. Also the replicant "rebellion" was stupid and could have been cut entirely

Jared Leto is merely a genius beyond your comprehension and ability to appreciate his acting. Al Pacino was famously known on sets for telling his co-stars and up-and-comers to "take it down a notch". He was huge on making sure the people he shared a screen with were not overracting and ruining his movie. Al would actually have his assistants tell the actor if the actor wasn't taking the hint. We need more Al Pacino's.

Unfortunate the word of mouth seems to be nonexistent outside of the fanbase according to the metrics Bondurant Bondurant posted above.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Bautista was great in this movie. Hope he does more therious roles like this

For the whole five minutes he was there

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

If you didn't watch all of the shorts leading up to the release there was already a small scale rebellion. That was the cause of the blackout that wiped out so many of the digital records that was referenced in the film. Planting the narrative seeds for another doesn't mean a sequel would have to take place during it.

Caliane

Jared Leto is merely a genius beyond your comprehension and ability to appreciate his acting. Al Pacino was famously known on sets for telling his co-stars and up-and-comers to "take it down a notch". He was huge on making sure the people he shared a screen with were not overracting and ruining his movie. Al would actually have his assistants tell the actor if the actor wasn't taking the hint. We need more Al Pacino's.

Unfortunate the word of mouth seems to be nonexistent outside of the fanbase according to the metrics Bondurant Bondurant posted above.
Al Pacino would tell others to stop overacting... right.....

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw it last night, thought it was really good. Most I had read said seeing the original wasn't necessary but I disagree. I had not seen the original in its entirety until yesterday afternoon and that definitely helped with context. Yes there were a couple of slow points in the movie, probably could of shaved 15-20 minutes. Give it an 9.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
‘Blade Runner 2049’ Dulls -11% On Saturday; Weekend Opening Now At $31M+

It's kind of sad thinking that whenever your movie is getting a +$100m budget you HAVE to cater to capeshit crowd to get ticket sales.

Nah it's just got to be a good movie. It was an eternally fucked-with cinematic theme piece that was generally more feeling than substance.

The first wasn't a good movie, so mimicking that doesn't sound like a winning plan especially what thirty five years later after any uniqueness is long spent?

spronk

FPS noob
Make sure you see the three short films, the movie will make a tiny bit more sense if you have but even afterwards they are worth watching. The anime especially gives a lot of context. One features Leto, one features Bautista, and one is the anime that sets up the meat of the backstory for 2049.

and yeah, opening weekend box office is not great. They were hoping for $40m, praying for $50m+, and getting $32-35m is gonna be not great. I doubt overseas is gonna save it. It doesn't open in China until Nov 10th. It did get an A- in Cinemascore (mother got an F) and the high RT ratings may help its 3-4 week performance, especially since nothing huge is coming out for a while.

2022: anime backstory

2036: Leto and his new replicants

2048: Bautista

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lol "watch the shorts" "read the comic book" "read the graphic novel prequel". George Lucas tier.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Bautista killed it. I actually thought he was one of the only solid parts in Spectre, a movie in which there was very few.

I thought Leto could've been worse. I actually thought he was gonna be beyond bad so I was somewhat relieved, but yeah his over acting can be dreadful.

I also think the numbers doing poorly is as simple as it being a sequel to a sci-fi cult classic. It's amazing how many people have never paid any attention at all to the original. This Cyber Punk/noir-style movie just doesn't appeal to many people, sadly, like fucking Fast & Furious or massive scale war films. Or another shit superhero movie.

If it's not Star Wars/Star Trek or a really heavy action movie a la Inception or The Matrix, sci-fi just doesn't appeal at all to the general populous. It's amazing how many people immediately tune out a movie of this kind if it's not action heavy. Especially women. It's unfortunate. Definitely one of those movies many people won't bother with until DVD, and then realize it was actually a really solid movie.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I was worried with the trailers that it was going to be a non-stop action thrill ride but my Buddy and I were super impressed that they kept it almost straight-up noir.

Also glad that Ridley Scott didn't to get his stupid limey fingers into the final product too much it seems.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought it was worth seeing as a fan of the original and a fan of post apocalyptic scifi.

The only cheesy part is the 'revolution'. I didn't even mind Leto. You guys made it sound like he was chewing on the scenery, but I haven't seen him in much.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Al Pacino would tell others to stop overacting... right.....

"'Take off your makeup and be yourself, John. You're a clown, you're a clown, Huah! Huah!'" says Leguizamo, mimicking the iconic growl of Pacino.

John Leguizamo: raw, honest and ruthless

The google search engine has really become homogenized shit the past 10 years, the algorithm is so bland and commercialized that the articles I read 10-15 years ago are no longer hitting. So, best I can do without bombing interviews and videos.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Movie was great loved the soundtrack.

I was talking about the movie with a coworker who hadn't seen it but was a big fan of the original. He asked who did the soundtrack. I didn't know but I described it as "Pretty synthy. Lot of that post-Inception DUNNNNNNs." I google it ten seconds later "Hans Zimmer...that makes sense."

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It was a lot of movie,

with a lot of titties.

The plot was relatively straight forward,

but the elements therein pertaining to humanity, conscious thought, and critical thinking are the true underpinnings.

a lot of sprawling atmospheric shots that linger intentionally, adding gravity, perhaps almost to the degree of saturation.

Someone, several people even, poured their love into this movie, it was made with earnest intent to create something of quality.

I want to say an 8/10, but in some respects it was otherwise a masterpiece of cinematography, if only the plot itself was more advanced.

And Leto's villain was to Machiavellian, to stereotypical evil.

Also the theaters sound was shit, and causing some serious reverb or whatever that screwed with the sound, I may just see it again because I feel like it messed with my enjoyment.

The scene at the end where Gosling goes to hand Ford the horse, as he takes it out of his pocket he cradles it with such tender care, as though it is the only thing of value he has.

Last edited:

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Gosling's circular character arc was the real fun. As far as I'm aware, the most emotion he's ever put into a role, once it really started to fuck with him.

I accept that I am a soulless robot -> OH SHIT I'M SPECIAL!!!11 -> nm I'm just another tear in the rain.

The child labor factory was a nice touch, too. About as subtle as the soundtrack.