Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Apparently I can't tell what people will consider a spoiler and get butthurt over.[/spoiler]

I really don't see how people still don't understand what a spoiler is. It's any info about anything in the film that is not revealed until you see the film eg in trailers or other marketing material.

Try going into the Game of Thrones thread and playing the "hey here's some info from the first scene of the leaked 8x01 episode BUT IT'S TOTALLY NOT A SPOILER BECAUSE IT HAPPENS IN THE FIRST SCENE GUYS!"

• 4Picard
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
He runs through a goddamn brick wall in the trailer. I don't think it's really a question about what his character is.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He runs through a goddamn brick wall in the trailer. I don't think it's really a question about what his character is.
Dude, don't interrupt the guy who considers everything a spoiler yet casually browses the thread on opening night and then wants to fall on his sword for something at the very start of the movie.

This is serious business.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Watched in IMAX. Great movie, visuals and sound were fantastic.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dude, don't interrupt the guy who considers everything a spoiler yet casually browses the thread on opening night and then wants to fall on his sword for something at the very start of the movie.

This is serious business.

People always browse the movie threads for reviews the opening week.

Malakriss

People always browse the movie threads for reviews the opening week.
Not if they're too paranoid to read even the official movie description blurb from 4 months ago. edit: correction - 9 months ago.

Here I'll spoiler that blurb just in case:
"Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years."

If the character's name is K and this isn't a Men in Black series...

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Not if they're too paranoid to read even the official movie description blurb from 4 months ago. edit: correction - 9 months ago.

Here I'll spoiler that blurb just in case:
"Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years."

If the character's name is K and this isn't a Men in Black series...

"He gave you a name. You must be special." Or important, can't remember the exact line. Like Rachael. All the others had designations, Unit whatever, their names were just what they gave each other. Like Joe.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

"He gave you a name. You must be special." Or important, can't remember the exact line. Like Rachael. All the others had designations, Unit whatever, their names were just what they gave each other. Like Joe.

His hologram chick came up with Joe. Didn't even like it and when asked always said his name was K. Then came the "That's not a name, that's a designation!"...and he was like "Okay, call me Joe"

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

That was in reference to Luv, the uber-right hand chick for Niandar Wallace. Wallace named her Luv, so K surmised that she must be someone special.

Saw it last night on Imax, and I have to say, if you enjoyed the original movie at all, you are going to love this one. Better in almost every aspect. I thought it captured the future-noir feel and look perfectly. Also a lot of food for thought about how robots/sexbots and AR can really change how we feel about relationships in the future. Nice cameos (won't spoil who or what) from the original film. I thought the plot was a lot easier to follow and better in general than the original film. I would say that the original film had a better "villain" in Rutger Hauer than this film does with Jared Leto, although I did feel Leto did a good enough job with his role.

The best science fiction film I have seen in the past few years was Ex Machina. This one rates right up there, probably as my new #1. Incredible visuals. Future San Diego made me lol a little.

One of my favorite scenes:

So the Luv chick was one of my favorite characters, she was just so brutal, completely rational like you would expect a replicant to behave. When she was calling in those airstrikes with her glasses while she was getting her nails painted.....that was just so cold-hearted lol, and also a real eye-opener/conversation starter into how wars may be waged in the future, with great ease, disassociation, callousness, and maybe even with robots that care nothing except for outcomes. Scary things to consider as far as how technology could overtake our ability to control it

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back from this movie. Its good. Its not great. Its not horrible. Its just... ok. If there was one word I'd use to describe the film, its "wallow". It just constantly wallows in everything, taking way too long to cover very basic plots. Some of the visuals are fantastic, some are a bit... artsy? Its way, way, way too long at 2h 37m, could have easily cut 30-40 mins and made a tighter, better movie I think. The storyline isn't great. Its not terrible, but again... not great.

All in all, if you are a fan of the OG Blade Runner you may as well go see it, but I'd set your expectations a bit low. I thought the first Blade Runner movie was better. It brought about some really fundamental questions to my young mind, like what does it mean to be alive, how do you know you are not a machine, and what do we leave behind when we die? This movie doesn't really do much like that, it just more tries to moralize about how having slaves is bad, mmmmk or how we cry when we are sad.

Ryan Gosling is good. Harrison Ford is good, a bit overhyped I think and he is in the movie for maybe 10 mins so not really a huge factor. Jared Leto is in it for 5 mins and has the same problem as Suicide Squad: he is supposed to be another version of Tyrell from the first movie, but he is a pale, pale, pale imitation and doesn't do a very good job imo. He really, really, really needs to pick better roles that play to his strengths, not do second rate jobs of unforgettable roles.

Watch in theaters I guess if you love sci fi, if you hate slow movies or hate the first blade runner do NOT watch this. I'm in a bit of a bind now, I went alone and just told my wife that I don't think she'd like the movie cuz its slow and then she ranted at me about how its patriarchal for me to think what movies she would like or not like. Fuck me for having an opinion. Now if I go see it with her (she wants to go) she'll be pissed at me if she hates the movie, and pissed at me if she likes the movie. You just can't win.

Spoilers about the plot
The plot kinda was all over the place. Ok, Gosling being hinted as the son was too obvious and it was a great fakeout, loved it. Didn't like bubble girl being The One, but whatever I can agree it was a clever way to sublimate rebellious memories in all future Nexus 8 replicants.

Leto's plot though made zero sense. So... I want to figure out a way for replicants to have babies because that'll be more efficient than manufacturing them? Da Fuq? Also in 25 years you can't do what Tyrell apparently figured out and hid from everyone? It was a clever little thing, Rachel being special in being able to get pregnant, but it just didn't feel "right" for the blade runner universe. It was almost a Jurassic Park moment. I liked all the little cameos but not sure most of them were necessary. The Rachel-Bot was great though, thats the only one they should have had.

The rebel faction also was a bit odd, it wasn't really clear how their plans were that different from Leto's, and it wasn't really clear to me at all how Leto was able to keep making replicants if he could make ones that easily run around murdering human beings. You'd think that would be one of the things they woulda clamped down on before allowing replicant manufacture again. Or what Leto was gonna do with Harrison Ford, its not like the old guy had much (any?) contact with the rebels.

• 3Picard
  • 2Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
His hologram chick came up with Joe. Didn't even like it and when asked always said his name was K. Then came the "That's not a name, that's a designation!"...and he was like "Okay, call me Joe"

*heavy spoilers ahead*
That was part of the plot. She was AI, which is what a Replicant is founded upon, and she was arguably more human than he was. "You're special." He didn't believe he was special. But then he did. The whole becoming self-aware at a whole new level. And then he sacrifices himself. "You should have let me die out there! What am I to you?" He's basically his dad. Shit made me emotional.

I also had mixed feelings about Robyn's character. Did she think it was him, too (the offspring)? Why did she give him leeway? Was she really that cold, or understood better than we could perceive? And murder bot lady, also ambiguous at first.

Unlike the original, I got a lot more out of the initial viewing. Maybe because I've watched the various original iterations countless times, but I'm very curious how I'll feel after multiple repeated viewings. I need to see certain scenes again to extrapolate a lot of hidden and subtle information. Such as the room with the previous models. If there's a Deckard model hidden in there I'm gonna flip my shit. Though I suspect they'll only have models of Pris and the others that were clearly defined as Replicants. Guess I'll have to see it again.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Oh, just in case you did not notice:
As part of the deconstruction of the identity KD6 has tried to build, when he sees the advertising for Joi programs... and the giant hologram calls him a "good joe"... he realize it's not even "his" real name...

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I saw the original Bladerunner in the theater, I was way under age and my parent had to check me in with the manager. Big Screen with real sound, for its time it was a mind blowing film. Maybe it didn't age well. But a decade later I got out of a cab in Roppongi Tokyo on a rainy night looked around and went 'Holy Shit, it's Blade Runner!"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One of my favorite scenes:

So the Luv chick was one of my favorite characters, she was just so brutal, completely rational like you would expect a replicant to behave. When she was calling in those airstrikes with her glasses while she was getting her nails painted.....that was just so cold-hearted lol, and also a real eye-opener/conversation starter into how wars may be waged in the future, with great ease, disassociation, callousness, and maybe even with robots that care nothing except for outcomes. Scary things to consider as far as how technology could overtake our ability to control it
She's not heartless. If you look, she sheds a tear about everytime she kills or sees someone killed up close, even the police lieutenant (I think. Need to rewatch. Already). It's just that she has no choice. She has to obey Niander. The remote strike is a good way to distance herself from the job she probably hates... but has to do.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Unlike the original, I got a lot more out of the initial viewing. Maybe because I've watched the various original iterations countless times, but I'm very curious how I'll feel after multiple repeated viewings. I need to see certain scenes again to extrapolate a lot of hidden and subtle information. Such as the room with the previous models. If there's a Deckard model hidden in there I'm gonna flip my shit. Though I suspect they'll only have models of Pris and the others that were clearly defined as Replicants. Guess I'll have to see it again.

In case you don't want any potential future viewings spoiled ...

The screenwriter for 2049 has stated on record that Deckard is not a replicant.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In case you don't want any potential future viewings spoiled ...

The screenwriter for 2049 has stated on record that Deckard is not a replicant.

I think it's more complicated and open than that. In original Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" Deckard passed the Voight-Kampff test without innuendos. Ridley Scott always wanted to make a noir movie with original Blade Runner, where the main protagonist ultimately hunting his own kind. Scott also said in a 2014 interview that Deckard is a replicant. That's his vision.

Now, Harrison Ford's take on Deckard was different. He stated on some interviews that during Blade Runner's filming he and Scott had a struggle with Deckard being a replicant or not ; Ford thought the audience needed a "human representative on screen, somebody that they could have an emotional understanding of." He also said in a more recent interview than his opinion on the subject ultimately "didn't matter".

There's also the six different versions of original Blade Runner. While early ones cleary go in the "Deckard = human" direction, the latest version (where Scott had more control than the 1982 release, butchered by studio executives), the 2007 Final Cut, clearly implies that Deckard is a replicant.

I'm not even gonna summarize what the different writers have said because what I think matters is Blade Runner 2049 doesn't answer to the question ; during Deckard and Wallace confrontation, when Wallace wonders about Deckard being a replicant, Deckard answers "I know what's real".

What I think is Scott's vision regarding Deckard was always that Deckard is a replicant, he wanted it to be ambiguous, the studios hated the idea (hence the butchering) and even some of the crew didn't like it. So, who should have the last word ? The 1982 director, the studios, the writers, the actors, the 2049 director ? I know it's kind of shallow saying "it's up to the viewer to make up his opinion" but really think that's what Scott had in mind back in the day.[/URL]

• 1Like

Merrith

Oh, just in case you did not notice:
As part of the deconstruction of the identity KD6 has tried to build, when he sees the advertising for Joi programs... and the giant hologram calls him a "good joe"... he realize it's not even "his" real name...

Yes, did notice that, just came after the scene with the line in question that someone had mentioned earlier. But this is what made the movie so great, the many small layers that Gosling (and few other characters but mainly him) experiences and what he realizes along the way. It's why I loved the line multiple characters say "I know what's real".