Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I don't like 3D myself for the vast majority of movies but they must not want this thing to make any money because it sure needs every bit of help it can get, including the premium ticket price for 3D. The weekend drop off for it was not small (over 50%) but fortunately it's mid-week numbers are solid giving it a very small Week 1 to 2 decline. However it didn't open strong in it's first Asian market either (South Korea, only $1.7 million) which puts a big question mark over China saving it.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Watched it a week ago and went to rewatch this past weekend.

I talked 3 coworkers into going and seeing it too. We all spent 15 minutes talking about it this morning. Everyone was blown away....loved it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
At the beginning of the movie, there's a fly-by overhead shot looking straight down and showing some kind of industrial zone or something.
Can any of you nerds find a way to get me a full-resolution video file of that shot? I want to see if I can make a 3d model of it.

Example:
3d model
Video of flyover (this is a flyover of my 3d model, but the one in the movie is similiar)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Gonna go again with a friend this week and he suggested going for AMC's discount Tuesday for a 3D matinee so it ends up being like 8 bucks. It seems like there are a few setpieces that were constructed for 3D, but both times I've seen it, it wasn't in 3D.

Anyone catch it in 3D or know if it's more than DOF/parallax halfass 3D? I imagine all the flyby's and the cityscape holograms would be cool in 3D.

I saw it in 3D and didn't mind it at all. I'm not a person that totally hates 3D, though, when it is used specifically to add depth to scenes and not as some stupid gimmick. If you just dislike all but the best 3D movies then you should probably pass on this one.

• 1Like

ansar

Trakanon Raider
I've finally reached that old man status where if I'm not seeing a movie under a massive screen, with upgraded audio, and recliners and distance in between the people next to me, I don't wanna go see it. I watched It Comes At Night at the local AMC in the mall, in one of their small theaters... never again. If it's not at the Angelika/Alamo Drafthouses/the really nice AMCs, I don't wanna waste my money.

I have started to go to these theaters. Folks can still be annoying, but at least I am comfortable.

About | B&B Theatres

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah I've been using MoviePass to visit all the theater chains around my town just to check out their various theaters, marking out which ones are just crap and never to go to. Even for the really nice theaters around me, they usually have 2-3 "good" screens and the rest are small and not that great/comfy. If you buy the tickets too far in advance, I've seen the screen numbers and even times change up a few days before release, which just sucks. Directly checking out screen times off theater websites usually lets you see the theater number, so you can confirm its in the "good" screen vs the bad ones.

There are a couple of high end premiere theaters but unfortunately MoviePass doesn't cover them...yet.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Blame it on all that #fakenews?
bkYbRge.png

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Blame it on spending over $150 million in the process of making a lot of creative decisions that all but guaranteed it would have limited appeal. If you're one of those it appeals to, such as myself, you mark it up as one of those rare wins at Hollywood's expense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Royal Royal Do you think this one recoups on the back end with a strong DVD/Home video purchase?

'Blade Runner 2049' Flopped In America, And Overseas Box Office May Not Save It

They compare it to other movies that have been in a similar situation, sans the 150 million budget. Could this be considered a Sci-fi classic "must own" on Blu-ray? And if so, what is that worth on a good day?

I don't know any way to look at DVD/Blu-ray sales history unless a retailer or the studio choose to release it-- so I am guessing there is no tracking in that area that could be used as a metric to speculate the damage Villeneuve has caused to future projects.

Sidebar, what did CNN give "Mother!" ? Jesus fuck that shit bombed hard with arguably one of the top A listers in the business as its face. If Mother! didn't get slammed by CNN that says a lot about their bias towards anything avant-garde-- or bias against men.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it sucks this movie is bombing, but for whatever reason people are not going to see it. I mean shit, I sorta feel like no one goes to the movies anyways unless its a massive Christmas movie, or some occasional summer releases? Just about every one of my close friends still hasn't seen this, for whatever reason (and they eventually will, or fuck them). And these are people who have solid passions for sci-fi and what not. Is October just a horrible month for releases? That time period sandwiched in between Summer and Christmas, seems like that would make sense it might be a historically poor time to release movies, then again I have no evidence at all or confidence in assuming something like that.

Strikes me as a movie people will really eat up once it gets to home theaters. People won't really mind the nearly 3 hour screen time in the comforts of their homes. It's sad that word of mouth hasn't carried more people into theaters, but I guess if people don't really care about the premise then they won't get out to see it. It's a shame, because those people are going to miss out. This movie should really be enjoyed at least once in theaters.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was completely overlooking that. How is it a Blu-ray must own when its a true big theater film, and everybody who has seen it already knows that.

Not looking good unless there are a few other cuts in the bank that can be used to market it-- deleted Jared Leto scenes, or new angles of Harrison Ford's distended abdomen.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People still buy Blu-rays? I don't think so... we live in the age of digital, streaming, and piracy.

This movie is fucked. Sci-fi is pretty much fucked. Studio heads are going to look at the Life, Alien Covenant, Dark Tower & Blade Runner disasters this year and laugh at anyone that wants to make a Sci-fi movie for the next 3 years. Sure, Covenant & Dark Tower are pretty much an abortions on screen, but the other 2 are borderline classics.

I guess old people and young people don't give a shit about Sci-fi. The rest of us in the middle are too busy or too lazy to support the films in the theaters.

Royal

Royal Royal Do you think this one recoups on the back end with a strong DVD/Home video purchase?

I really don't know. Like you said the money that a studio makes from back end sources is something that is a lot harder to decipher than box office revenue. I would think a movie tanking at the box office probably doesn't help very much when it comes times to negotiate those back end deals though.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Theaters could be a big problem. I used to love going to movies. But, these days, it just ends up pissing me off a lot of the time. The expense is annoying, but the people are the real negative. Talking, phones, kids, etc. And, when the whole thing has wonky sound, it's a bust.

Why go through that when you can sit at home on a comfortable couch with good food/drink and no asshole people around?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've finally reached that old man status where if I'm not seeing a movie under a massive screen, with upgraded audio, and recliners and distance in between the people next to me, I don't wanna go see it. I watched It Comes At Night at the local AMC in the mall, in one of their small theaters... never again. If it's not at the Angelika/Alamo Drafthouses/the really nice AMCs, I don't wanna waste my money.

Yup my wife and I will only go to the movies only if we go to our eat in theater which has huge comfy seats ect. Even then I've hit the point where this movie was too long. Past hour two I started getting uncomfortable and you could sort of here the collective audience getting uncomfortable with tons of shifting and a lot more coughing and noise making in general. We did the same shit a year or so ago going to a regular theater after multiple trips to the good place and it was basically like a 2 hour plane ride in coach.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I only go to a movie if it's at the dolby cinema and if it's a movie I really want to see. What keep me from going more often is the price of food and drinks. Next movie I'll see is star wars and then nothing after that until summer. I think what's wrong with blade runner is that it has a narrow target audience and it's long. This is turning out to being one of my favorite movies of all time but I can see how it will flop. It's too thought provoking for the 18-25 crowd, too long for the 25-45 crowd with families, and then too long for the old folks to sit through. It also doesn't cater to women.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It also doesn't cater to women.

Yeah the daggers are starting to come out now about that specifically.

Some reviewers are openly using the word "misogynistic" to describe the movie.

Should be enough to cut the rest of the legs out of the North American run-- along with its 3 hour runtime.

• 1Picard

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I remember when Arclight Cinemas here in Los Angeles first offered the ability to buy specific seats for showings......no more waiting in line 30 min - 1 hr before the movie begins only to try to find a seat during the ensuing stampede. That has been the single biggest change for me.....never again will I go to a movie unless it has assigned seating. An added bonus is that Arclight has some of the best visual and sounds of any movie theater chain I am aware of, so it's been my go-to movie place for years now. The exception would be Imax, but fortunately my local Imax has assigned seating as well.