Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
ARR does filter a lot of people out and it used to be even worse. Heavensward is fantastic, Stormblood is ok, Shadowbringers was a masterpiece. Endwalker is solid enough, but had a hard act to follow.

Miles ahead of anything Blizzard is slowly pinching out these days.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

4dc.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You can't even link a youtube correctly.. What a noob.

I legit have no idea what I'm doing. You know how people just forgot how to make concrete during the middle ages? They had a recipe, it worked, one day it didn't work, guess it was magic? That's how I feel about computers. I just do a thing because it worked before with zero understanding of any of the underlying principles.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
JRPGs don't gel with me because they never seem to have consistent world building. I watched the Asmongold video where he starts playing FF14. It's all high fantasy style locations and characters and then a few minutes later people are using something that looks like a batmobile as a mount. That out of place stuff just takes me out of the game world.

• 3Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

JRPGs don't gel with me because they never seem to have consistent world building. I watched the Asmongold video where he starts playing FF14. It's all high fantasy style locations and characters and then a few minutes later people are using something that looks like a batmobile as a mount. That out of place stuff just takes me out of the game world.

FF has never been high fantasy. It is closer to standard fantasy mixed with technomagic/streampunk. FF14 in terms of world borrows very heavily from FF6. The world building is consistent once you learn more. Plus the game has included multiverse and galactic elements for plot points (cars exist in the FF14 world, although really only in the Empire since they are technologically advanced beyond anyone else on the planet. The car mount you see is introduced as part of a crossover with FF15 and they explain it as a multiverse type deal. The car mounts are a recreation of reversed engineering using existing Magitek knowledge. Even for crossover crap, they try to make it fit with the existing world)

I mean in the original FF on 8 bit NES, you visit a space station and fight mech enemies.

Personally I find true high fantasy settings boring (ie, LOTR/Hobbit type settings)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Retarded mounts in an MMO? Unbelivable.

Also on world building, stuff like digging up an ancient airship/spaceship or tech ruins are Final Fantasy tropes.

WoW just has a literal fleet of spaceships in it out of nowere in Legion, now you have robots building afterlives.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Retarded mounts in an MMO? Unbelivable.

Also on world building, stuff like digging up an ancient airship/spaceship or tech ruins are Final Fantasy tropes.

WoW just has a literal fleet of spaceships in it out of nowere in Legion, now you have robots building afterlives.

The motorcycle mounts in WoW were dumb and annoying too. They weren't there when the game launched either, they were part of a gradual shift in tone away from the original game concept to something filled with more and more cutesy and gamey crap that turned the game into the soulless husk of an MMO that it is today. Nu-Blizzard didn't replace old Blizzard in a day, it killed it by a thousand cuts and WoW along with it.

FF has never been high fantasy. It is closer to standard fantasy mixed with technomagic/streampunk. FF14 in terms of world borrows very heavily from FF6. The world building is consistent once you learn more. Plus the game has included multiverse and galactic elements for plot points (cars exist in the FF14 world, although really only in the Empire since they are technologically advanced beyond anyone else on the planet. The car mount you see is introduced as part of a crossover with FF15 and they explain it as a multiverse type deal. The car mounts are a recreation of reversed engineering using existing Magitek knowledge. Even for crossover crap, they try to make it fit with the existing world)

I mean in the original FF on 8 bit NES, you visit a space station and fight mech enemies.

Personally I find true high fantasy settings boring (ie, LOTR/Hobbit type settings)

I've never played any of the other FF games either, it's just not a setting that appeals to me. I grew up with western, AD&D-style board/computer games so that's my preference.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
The motorcycle mounts in WoW were dumb and annoying too. They weren't there when the game launched either, they were part of a gradual shift in tone away from the original game concept to something filled with more and more cutesy and gamey crap that turned the game into the soulless husk of an MMO that it is today. Nu-Blizzard didn't replace old Blizzard in a day, it killed it by a thousand cuts and WoW along with it.

I've never played any of the other FF games either, it's just not a setting that appeals to me. I grew up with western, AD&D-style board/computer games so that's my preference.
Generally FF games are a Japanese take on Western/Middle Eastern history and mythology, often with a lost "Atlantis" style civilisation you find three quarters of the way into the game.

The first 5 games, 9, 11 and 14 are this. 14 is leaning heavily into ancient greece this expansion.

6 is renaissance steam punk Italy, 7 is cyberpunk Tokyo, 8 and 15 are modern day, 13 is the future, 10 is post apocalyptic south east asia, 12 is star wars.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Yes, because Warcraft never had oil powered machines and steampunk technology until WoW /s

• 3Like
  • 2Moron
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I cant stand Japanese story telling and themes. For example seeing a little girl piss her pants while playing MGS2 was just pure cringe.

1640462430684.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
ARR does filter a lot of people out and it used to be even worse. Heavensward is fantastic, Stormblood is ok, Shadowbringers was a masterpiece. Endwalker is solid enough, but had a hard act to follow.

I couldn't get past Heavensward.

I had a TON of friends begging me to play FF14 in 2019ish. I was ready to nope out after ARR, but they kept telling me, "I know the story sucks now, but omg it gets so good in Heavensward".

Yeah..no it fucking doesn't. It's the same tired bullshit and while some of the dragoon stuff was cool with Nidhogg, the final act turns into, "OMG WHO COULD'VE EVER EXPECTED YOUR INEVITABLE BETRAYAL!!". When I asked my friends and they said Stormblood wasn't as good, I noped the fuck out - "Stormblood is WORSE than that? Yeah, I'm done then dudes."

The sexualization of kids doesn't help at all either. People can say, "lol but gnomes and halflings!!!". No, gnomes are ALWAYS portrayed as short, old fucks who like to blow shit up and halflings have always been portrayed as happy-go-lucky chaotic good, playful retards with big, hairy feet. They've both always been portrayed as "short adults", not childlike furries like Japan so often loves to do with their races.

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I couldn't get past Heavensward.

I had a TON of friends begging me to play FF14 in 2019ish. I was ready to nope out after ARR, but they kept telling me, "I know the story sucks now, but omg it gets so good in Heavensward".

Yeah..no it fucking doesn't. It's the same tired bullshit and while some of the dragoon stuff was cool with Nidhogg, the final act turns into, "OMG WHO COULD'VE EVER EXPECTED YOUR INEVITABLE BETRAYAL!!". When I asked my friends and they said Stormblood wasn't as good, I noped the fuck out - "Stormblood is WORSE than that? Yeah, I'm done then dudes."

The sexualization of kids doesn't help at all either. People can say, "lol but gnomes and halflings!!!". No, gnomes are ALWAYS portrayed as short, old fucks who like to blow shit up and halflings have always been portrayed as happy-go-lucky chaotic good, playful retards with big, hairy feet. They've both always been portrayed as "short adults", not childlike furries like Japan so often loves to do with their races.
I cant be asked to play FF14 for more than a few weeks at a time, if even that much. Something about the game just doesnt do it for me to play it long term. Everyone raved to me about HW being great and I .. just didnt see it. I didnt even realize I was in the Stormblood expansion until I got to the ending cinematic. I thought Shadowbringers stepped the game up a lot, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I never do the grindy shit, like the open world challenge zone (forgot what its called) but just the basic dungeons and story were good. But damn thats a tall order to ask someone to go through all that just for one expansion.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Heavensward is all about the world building, you start off at Griffin's Nest in the first zone and that's last fucking bit of city you are going to see as you venture into the frozen wilderness.

Second zone has a tiny wooden hunters settlement at the start and that's fucking it, you are roughing it with dragons and beastmen in the other 4 zones if you are lucky. Plenty of combat too.

It's a real journey into the unknown and is reminisent of how Northrend is built. The last act, Final Bridge of Faith is incredible.

Stormblood is just towns everywhere so it feels pretty safe and doesn't even have a secret zone like Heavensward, Shadowbringers and Endwalker (x2) have. The eastern section is good though, especially in the patch content, fuck Ala Migho.

It is a big ask for people to deal with the slow cutscene based story telling, it really pays off in several amazing sections of Shadowbringers and Endwalker.

You'll be well rewarded for your suffering in unlocking things though, unlike WoW.

• 1Moron

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah damn that thing that doesn't actually happen in FF14.
Oh, yeah. I forgot that lalafells don't run around in bikinis and shit as part of the weird cosmetics in that game or that weird party quest in the beach zone of ARR I forget the name of, where that lalafell is basically a pimp.

I don't know what I expected. Not a shock that that dude who just so happens to fucking interject on, white knight, and knows just about EVERY fucking statutory rape law in the US argues that, "lol it's not weird". Keep being creepy, Radgavin. It's a great look being that versed on "underage sex" laws.

• 1Tiresome

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh, yeah. I forgot that lalafells don't run around in bikinis and shit as part of the weird cosmetics in that game or that weird party quest in the beach zone of ARR I forget the name of, where that lalafell is basically a pimp.

I don't know what I expected. Not a shock that that dude who just so happens to fucking interject on, white knight, and knows just about EVERY fucking statutory rape law in the US argues that, "lol it's not weird". Keep being creepy, Radgavin. It's a great look being that versed on "underage sex" laws.
Never once seen a lala in a bikini in all my time playing. Costa del Sol may have a lalafell who owns the place but none of his hos are lalafells.

As for the rest, it takes about 5 seconds to do an internet search but keep telling yourself I have it all memorized you miserable little black-pilled fuck.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Mother of God